Autechre - live soundboard from Glasgow 2005

Unfed

• Members

if you're into newer Autechre, i found this excellent soundboard recording from Glasgow last year. wow, this shit is great. i honestly think it's better than 'Untilted' itself, very funked out and quite a bit less harsh on the senses. enjoy.

Autechre in Glasgow - 2005

Elektron MonoMachine and MachineDrum. Akai MPC-1000. Nord Modular G2 Engine can be seen in the rack...

10dvd35.jpg

ooops, sorry the pic is so big. :eek:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

hell yea...this recording is ace....and i almost agree that its better than untilted (mainly cuz i like the version of LCC much better live)...people check this out, its awesomely fresh sounding!

• Members

Very interesting that that whole set came out of such "minimal" equipment.. granted a G2 could take care of most things all it's own, but still... you're looking at a laptop, mixer, drum synth, drum sampler, bass synth, digital modular, and what, maybe an effects rack or something?

Just goes to show you what the right person can do with the right parts...

I'll have to take a nice listen to this when I'm commuting... I already thing it's better than Untilted... I wasn't really a fan of that one...

• Members

Originally posted by kooki_sf

laptops can hardly be seen when they are all the way open
:thu:

i can not translate. ??

but yeah, i'm not sure they've got any laptops going up there. any ideas on what that other rack unit is up top? i wonder if there's anything below the G2 Engine. i know it's a Mackie 1642vlz mixer they're using...

• Members

looks like some sort fof proccessor, w/ 2 line I/O and XLR I/O. Looks like there is something silver ith orange lettering below the G2, no idea what it could be... maybe a rack MD player or something? Funny thing is there are 4 wires for the G4 output going into the mixer, and another 4 wires coming from somewhere... probably an extra mono/machinedrum on the table, but can't see what else...

• Members

Originally posted by Paolo Di Nicolantonio

hmm... thank you for the post but I don't get the fuss about this band...

is it really hard to program 1 hour and 8 minutes of analog samples completely at random? Anybody who can select the 16th quantization feature on a sequencer and casually press keys on a keyboard/midi controller/drum pads can do it imho.

...at random?

Consider the possibility that these sounds are actually highly arranged in a more complex way than most conventional arrangements. It can take a while for Autechre to "click", but their music can be highly rewarding to listen to. If you want to hear some of their less "out there" stuff check out the seminal "tri repetae".

• Members

is it really hard to program 1 hour and 8 minutes of analog samples completely at random? Anybody who can select the 16th quantization feature on a sequencer and casually press keys on a keyboard/midi controller/drum pads can do it imho.

i'm guessing you've not listened to untilted, cuz you probably would recognize various elements (that were reconstructed for the album) in stripped down form...most obvious are the melody from LCC and drums/samples from Pro Radii...also there are other recordings from the tour (at different locations) which are different lengths....so its not like their set was static....

• Members

Originally posted by WRGS

i'm guessing you've not listened to untilted, cuz you probably would recognize various elements (that were reconstructed for the album) in stripped down form...most obvious are the melody from LCC and drums/samples from Pro Radii...also there are other recordings from the tour (at different locations) which are different lengths....so its not like their set was static....

I actually tried hard to listen to the whole thing, but could not. It is - to me - too boring and repetitive to listen to. But hey, tastes in music differ, so if you love Autechre and think they are a very talented band, good for you.

Btw, I could not find a "melody" in this piece. You mention there's one from "LLC". Can you give me the minute/seconds position in this track? I'm curious.

• Members

Just thinking about it, seems to me there would HAVE to be a laptop, just to run the G2 engine.... I could imagine them using it to control the G2, and maybe to run some sequences or samples?

It's always so much fun to try and figure out from some obscure pictures what so-and-so is using, especially a group that is so hush-hush (generally) about what they use...

• Members

i'm guessing the G2 is being controlled by the mpc1000. no need for a laptop unless he's programming it.

extra MM and MD?

looking at the pic, it seems Rob is just running main stereo outs from the Elektron gear into his side of the mixer. Sean has six(?) lines going into his side (two from the MPC, two from the G2, and...?). doesn't look like he has anything running into the G2's inputs.

• Members

Originally posted by Unfed

looking at the pic, it seems Rob is just running main stereo outs from the Elektron gear into his side of the mixer. Sean has six(?) lines going into his side (two from the MPC, two from the G2, and...?). doesn't look like he has anything running into the G2's inputs.

other way around - sean booth mans the elektrons, rob brown the g2 =)

• Members

LOL. Autechre doesn't do random programming. If you think it is, then please, by all means, post some random programming and we can compare it with Autechre's work.

• Members

Btw, I could not find a "melody" in this piece. You mention there's one from "LLC". Can you give me the minute/seconds position in this track? I'm curious.

... you talking about the live set or the album version?

on the live set the melody that i recognized is around the 25 min mark..

on the album its around the 3:50 mark... and another melody at 5:10 or so...

• Members

i wouldn't really be suprised if there random elements involved a lot of the time. ie - random generators, LFOs, etc...

also, to someone who's never really heard anything like that before, it must sound a bit like a CD skipping.

• Members

There's good info at Sound on Sound:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr04/articles/autechre.htm

Here's a relevant passage about "randomness":

Perhaps the most challenging and potentially controversial aspect of Autechre's music is their use of generative sequences. Confield contains more of these than their other works, though they also feature on their latest release, Draft 7:30. Insofar as these sequences involve drum machine sounds they are sometimes referred to as 'random beats'. The adjective clearly sits uneasily with Booth, who is at pains to point out that the beats are far from random.

"There's a lot of maths and generated beats on Confield, but we never considered that album very difficult," asserts Booth. "It's like pop music compared to some of the stuff we had considered putting out! And even when the beats sound like they are moving around in time and space, they're not random. They're based on sets of rules and we have a good handle on them. Draft is really straight, using straight-up normal sequencers and samplers. It's written note by note, where we know exactly what we put on. Only 'Reniform Puls' has some generative stuff, done by Max, which also controls a vocal filter in that track.

"When we do generative stuff we work with real-time manipulation of MIDI faders that determines what the rhythms sound like. A sequencer is spitting out stuff and we're using our ears and the faders to make the music. There's no event generation taking place other than within the system we've designed. Sometimes we'll stripe a whole load of stuff down as MIDI data, because there may be a couple of things we want to change. We generate these beats in Max and with home-made sequencers. And there are models of analogue sequencers in the computer that are doing manipulation like gating and compressing some of the beats.

"On Confield we also used analogue sequencers and drum machines, because you can do a lot with restarting patterns. You can hack things and maybe use a control volume to determine what step the drum machine is playing from. Perhaps you send that control volume from an analogue sequencer, so the drum machine is skipping around. And then you get another analogue sequencer to drive that analogue sequencer with a different timing. Immediately you have something that some people would call random, but I would say is quantifiable.

"It seems that for a lot of people, if they hear something that doesn't sound regular, they assume it's random. If live musicians were playing it, they'd probably call it jazz or something. But the fact that it's coming out of a computer, as they perceive it, somehow seems to make it different. For me it's just messing around with a lot of analogue sequencers and drum machines. It's like saying, 'I want this to go from this beat to that beat over this amount of time, with this curve, which is shaped according to this equation.'

"Or you want all the sounds and the way the rhythm works to change, and you don't quite know how long the transform will take. You can then build a patch to do the transform, and you do it by ear with a fader. We may have one fader that determines how often a snare does a little roll or skip, and another thing that listens and says 'If that snare plays that roll three times, then I'll do this.' We don't use random operators because they're irritating to work with

Archived