Is it hard to mod a pedal to take DC?

gr8fuldodd

• Members

Originally posted by gr8fuldodd

I've got one pedal on batteries and I hate having to unplug it

can I do this?

or do I have to spend more dough?

Depends on the pedal. You know Zvex makes the Power Plate which solves this? Depends on the form factor and current consumption of the pedal and that should work great.

• Moderators

Originally posted by gr8fuldodd

I've got one pedal on batteries and I hate having to unplug it

can I do this?

or do I have to spend more dough?

If it is an expensive handmade pedal you are probably better off letting the original maker add the jack for you, unless you are fairly good at drilling and soldering.

Even then, there are potential problems, such as polarity, hum, filtering (or lack therefof), and so on....

regards, Jack

• Members

Originally posted by catalinbread

Depends on the pedal. You know Zvex makes the Power Plate which solves this? Depends on the form factor and current consumption of the pedal and that should work great.

I don't understand

there's a product that allows a pedal that has no input for electricity, that works strictly on battery, be powered?

• Members

he's talking about the power plate i make for my zvex pedals. it's basically a lid for a hammond-style (type 1590B) box that has a power jack with a short cord and power filter attached, and it clips onto the battery clip of my effects (and screws on) so you can power up my non-dc jack pedals with a 9V supply.

you just have to clip it onto the 9V battery clip, tuck the filter electronics into the battery compartment, and screw it on. the cord comes right out the bottom of the pedal and can be directed toward any edge of the pedal for easy connection to your power supply. it works on small MXR-sized effects as well as mine, and quite a number of other boutique pedals. i recommend it for maximum current of about 12 mA (fuzzes, boosters, things like that, as well as all of my effects.)

• Members

Originally posted by zachary vex

he's talking about the power plate i make for my zvex pedals. it's basically a lid for a hammond-style (type 1590B) box that has a power jack with a short cord and power filter attached, and it clips onto the battery clip of my effects (and screws on) so you can power up my non-dc jack pedals with a 9V supply.

you just have to clip it onto the 9V battery clip, tuck the filter electronics into the battery compartment, and screw it on. the cord comes right out the bottom of the pedal and can be directed toward any edge of the pedal for easy connection to your power supply. it works on small MXR-sized effects as well as mine, and quite a number of other boutique pedals. i recommend it for maximum current of about 12 mA (fuzzes, boosters, things like that, as well as all of my effects.)

I see...

so is this a good solution for my Hermida Zendrive?

• Members

Hey Richard, does your cable have a filter in it like Zac's? And do you need a filter if your supplying it with filtered power, from say a PSA Boss type or a Godlyke Power All? Do you have to drill a hole in the pedal case for the cable? Thanks

• Members

Hello Lowchunk,

Thank You for your inquiry.

The cable does not have a filter. I do not believe that double filtering is required. Mr Vex's design is a nice one! Extra filtering cannot hurt. There is no need to drill a hole in the pedal. The DC Cable Adapter Kit comes with all of the necessary hardware (screws, spacers and such) to install. Just tell me what DC adapter you are using and it's polarity. I'll pre-configure the cable for you and make sure the hardware fits your pedal ;^)

• Members
Originally posted by Richard Guy

Please look here under 'Pedal Stuff'
www.guytronix.com

I offer a DC cable adapter that addresses this issue.

Thanks for looking.

Richard

I have a Lovepedal vibe which has no DC jack. One of these would work perfectly if it means I wouldn't have to drill the enclosure.
How much is one of these adapters?

Jim

• Members

Hello Playdabloze,

No need to drill the enclousure. The cost is $7.95 + tax if you live in VA. What type (O.D. size) of DC power adapter are you expecting to use with it and what is the polarity? I need to know so that I match your 'DC power' end. If it is a typical BOSS type of power source, I already know what to use. You can call me or I'll call you. Just PM me with your phone number to discuss. I want to make completely sure that what I provide is exactly what will work for you. Thanks!

• Members

Originally posted by Richard Guy

Hello Playdabloze,

No need to drill the enclousure. The cost is $7.95 + tax if you live in VA. What type (O.D. size) of DC power adapter are you expecting to use with it and what is the polarity? I need to know so that I match your 'DC power' end. If it is a typical BOSS type of power source, I already know what to use. You can call me or I'll call you. Just PM me with your phone number to discuss. I want to make completely sure that what I provide is exactly what will work for you. Thanks!

PM sent.

Archived