boss FZ-3. Tell me everything!

• Members

its on bossarea. one of only two boss pedals to become simpler with the next edition. Its a vintage style fuzz with volume, fuzz, and tone controls. I got one on ebay last night and am waiting on it to arrive. It should go nicely with my fz2

• Members

Do a simple search for FZ-3 here and you should find a few opinions. Seems that the weight of authority is it's not very good, or at least not as good as the FZ-2. Researched it a bit last week and from what i read reasoned it wasn't worth picking up for $80 NIB.

• Members

honestly one of the worst boss pedals i've ever owned. one of the worst of any brand i've ever heard, actually. i was hoping it would at least be bad in a nasty good kind of way. but it is just lifeless.

• Members

Originally posted by NITEFLY182

its on bossarea. one of only two boss pedals to become simpler with the next edition. Its a vintage style fuzz with volume, fuzz, and tone controls. I got one on ebay last night and am waiting on it to arrive. It should go nicely with my fz2

Whats the second pedal to become simpler?

• Members

Originally posted by guitarwiles

Why'd they discontinue it so soon? Was it selling badly?

I don't know why they discontinued that one or the FZ-2. While I'm not a huge fan of the FZ-3, there's nothing inherently wrong with it; and the FZ-2 is a whole different type of fuzz. I would think that there would be a market for both. But Boss doesn't just cater to pedal lovers; I imagine they make their pedal money on "average" effects for the mass market, like the distortion and delay pedals. Fewer people use fuzz than use distortion, phasers, flangers, etc.

• Members

Originally posted by palthegiraffe

I imagine they make their pedal money on "average" effects for the mass market, like the distortion and delay pedals.

No doubt. Hey, all the better for people who own the fz-2 and fz-3 already.

• Members

I got both a FZ-2 and FZ-3.

Paid about $55 for my boxed and shipped FZ-2 and about $70 for the boxed, mint FZ-3.

The FZ-3 is your basic "Blue Cheer" type of fuzz, the FZ-2 is more versatile. I'm not a fuzz guy, but I use the FZ-2's gain boost now a lot.

• Members

The FZ-3 is supposed to be just the vintage mode on the fz-2. I love my fz2 and i really just bought it to complete my collection but i think they sound good either way. Its kind of a mix between a muff and a fuzz face to me. I think that may have been what boss was going for, a mix between the two classics. Im guessing its no longer in production because it has no integrated circuits so they take more labor/parts to build and didnt sell well enough to justify that.

• Members

I have both the FZ-2 and FZ-3. They are not alike in any way ('cept color).

The Boss FZ-2 is (supposedly) based on the Roland BeeBaa and has an upper octave aspect to its sound, whether in mode 1 or 2. The distortion is harsh and square wave-ish. According to the Boss Book, it's a fuzz sound typical of Japanese fuzzes circa 60s-70s.

The Boss FZ-3 is based on the designs of both the Fuzz Face and the Tone Bender. It's a more typical smooth fuzz sound. According to the Boss Book, it's a fuzz sound typical of English/American fuzzes circa 60s-70s.

Archived