Damn! I left my amp running overnight!

• Members

Would it have been damaged?

I can't even remember when I stopped playing yesterday

so it's been on a long time

unless I was warming it up last night and then ADD'd my way into something else

the point is, it was on all night till just now!

• Members

Originally posted by gr8fuldodd

cool

I thought I'd leave it alone and check it out later

but maybe I'll check it out now

go for it. it's totally fine, really. think about it. one day when you go on your big tour, your amp will have to be on standby through four opening acts not counting preshow vamping at least every other night :)

• Members

cool

I thought I'd leave it alone and check it out later

but maybe I'll check it out now

I just noticed that we have nearly identicle amps (minus the bronco). The power and standby lights on my JMP don't work and I left mine on a whole bunch of times when I first got it. I'd get done playing, flip on standby, and walk off intending to come back in a few minutes. That wasn't as easy as I thought :)

The only way I'd be able to tell it was on later is I'd hear a slight hiss...

• Members

all it means is you will have a nights less playing time on the valves before they die...

it wont harm the amp though, you probably play through the thing for a couple hours at a time, and thats with the full current hitting the valves, in standby they arent getting the full voltage so it wont be as bad

studios can leave amps running for days at a time, and they need them sounding perfect the whole time...

David

• Members

Would it have been damaged?

I can't even remember when I stopped playing yesterday

so it's been on a long time

unless I was warming it up last night and then ADD'd my way into something else

the point is, it was on all night till just now!

why would you think it would have been damaged????:mad:

• Members

Its actually the warming up and cooling down cycle that does the most damage (just like a light bulb), if I turn on a tube amp in the morning and I know that I will be playing later that day I just put it in Standby and leave it on.

Your amp is fine :)

• Members

Originally posted by StratStevo

Its actually the warming up and cooling down cycle that does the most damage (just like a light bulb), if I turn on a tube amp in the morning and I know that I will be playing later that day I just put it in Standby and leave it on.

Your amp is fine
:)

lol, I've left my 74 twin on all night many nights!

thought the same thing.

Steve, where in Seattle?

First Hill here

• Members

Originally posted by pbhtrip

I left a JCM800 on overnight in a studio once (plugged into a cab of course) and it sounded better the next day. Best mistake I ever made.
:D

Peter

just because it is fully warmed up after all the time

i always let my amp warm up for 2 minutes (like it says in the marshall book) but after that point, the valves will still be heating up, and they can take quite a while to get up to a steady temperature, so leaving the amp on all night just means it is up to that temp early, and not after half an hour or whatevers playing

David

• Members

Originally posted by StratStevo

Your amp is fine
:)

actually, leaving an amp on standby for more than 20 minutes is bad.

Archived