Roland MC-505 vs. Yamaha RM1X

• Members

I'm a guitarist and my keyboardist friend and I have discussed the possibility of starting up an electronica/trancey duo that would be performing live. I'd like to get a cheap way of creating drum loops on stage in a live setting. Bass/synth capabilities are a bonus, but getting an external bass synth could be done if necessary. My friend would mainly be playing synth, and I would be creating the drum/bass loops and putting some guitar over it as well. Which of these units would be better for my needs, or is there another product that would be better? I wouldn't like to spend anymore than about $300 dollars on it, and checking the eBay prices the MC505 and RM1X seem like good choices in that price range.

• Members

I would say that i prefer the yammie interface to the roland - it is far more flexible, but even compared to my measly mc303 the sounds of the yamaha are not really up to scratch, although you can still do a lot with them.

For some reason the roland "processed" sounds are just great, instant fun, where you have to do much more tweaking on the Rm1x to get to equally pleasing results.

So basically it is ease of use and flexibility vs good sound.

What i personally would really like to try one day is the R7000, which basically is the Rm1x with better sounds and a sampler.

• Members

both are not cool and sound kind of old and limited

either the RS7000 or MC909/808 will do

and AN/DX200 have really nice uptodate aggressive eletronica drum patten and analog style sequencer, but limited with just one synth sound

donno about the Korg EMX-1

• Members

The sonic quality of the 505 is a little better than the RM1X. It's important to remember also that the 505 has basically a jv synth engine built into it -- patches are set up in 4 partials, standard Roland architecture.

However, the RM1X has a great sequencer, with 16 tracks. It has better sequencer editing features, and a nice big display so you can see what you're doing.

For the money, though, it's worth it to step up to an RS-7000 for a couple hundred dollars more. Much better effects, better and larger soundset, Integrated Sampling Sequencer, expandable outputs and RAM, Smart media slot, etc.

It's amazing that RS7000's are going for around $500 now. A really good deal.

Archived