back up gear - especially vibrolux users

• Members

hi folks

i've got a week full of playing next week. i'll be playing every day morning and night - probably about four hours a day in total. i generally cary extra sets of strings and cables etc but any other essential backup gear to make sure the show goes on? i don't have enough money to buy a complete set of replacement valves. any thoughts on what i can get away with?

cheers

km

• Members

i guess i would try and carry a couple of 12ax7's and a couple of 6l6's

that means if anything goes south, you can just pop in a pair and get rolling, and i think you should be able to run with a 12ax7 instead of the 12at7 if needs be (i think it will be a lower gain verison of the 12ax7)
with the preamp you can replace then one valve at a time, but for the poweramp i think you really should be changing them as a pair, so two each of the two types should hopefully get you out of any trouble

fingers crossed you wont need them though

Davd

• Members

hmmm I have a Vibrolux and I've never heard of them having any reliability issues...

If you're outside, you might want to get a small fan to keep on the tube vent. This will help a lot when you're playing for a long time and it gets hot.

I think you'll be safe aside from that.

• Members

On Fender amps, such as your Vibrolux, you need to look on the back panel, near the on/off switch. There will be a twist off black plastic cover, and when you twist/push in, it will pop up and eject the fuse (glass cylinder with metal ends). The back panel will say what the amp rating of the fuse you need to keep in there, for that amp, it should be a 2.0A fuse. Don't go any higher of a value or you might start smoking other components.

Go to a local electronics store, bring in the one that is in there (if it is the correct rating) and purchase 2 or 3 for spares.

Even easier to replace than tubes/valves are.

As for extra valves, you should try to find somebody that can match the ones you currently have for the 6L6's, so your amp will be safe after you install the back-up pair.

Get a matched pair of 6L6's that are the same rating as your current ones, and buy 2 12AX7's for spares.

Very rare to pop a 12AX7, but it does happen every so often.

Archived