xavios

• Members

One of a kind, custom.

Took about a year and a half spare time to design, build, & write the software.

But it was more than worth it! Now I have simple, easy, dynamic control of a synth that used to be a devil to tweak. I would no more try to use menus to play a synth than I would use menus to drive a car. When you need real-time control, nothing less will do the job.

It's real easy to get spoiled by using touch countrols. I call up a patch from memory, and the displays immediately show the parameter values. If I want to change any value, I simply touch it with my finger where I want it set to. Very simple, but so powerful.

I made the case from a railroad crossing sign.

protostrip2small29zx.jpg

protostrip1small9ez.jpg

• Members
Originally posted by rylos

I call up a patch from memory, and the displays immediately show the parameter values. If I want to change any value, I simply touch it with my finger where I want it set to. Very simple, but so powerful.

that is truly awesome :thu:

• Members

Would it work on a TX-802?

good ol' midi I/O, so it could run anything with midi, provided the software were written accordingly. So although it won't work anything but a DX7 as-is, it could be made to run a TX-802.

• Members

Hopefully not one currently in use??

Not any more...

Did you use any of the MidiBox stuff?

Did it the hard way, every bit of it is home-grown.

Examples of sounds being morphed by hand in real-time that resulted from some idle tinkering:

metabass_mutate-1.mp3

noodle-1.mp3

piano_tuning.mp3

epiano1_morph-1.mp3

Try doing that in real-time on a DX7 by using menus!

• Members

One of a kind, custom.

Took about a year and a half spare time to design, build, & write the software.

It's real easy to get spoiled by using touch countrols. I call up a patch from memory, and the displays immediately show the parameter values. If I want to change any value, I simply touch it with my finger where I want it set to. Very simple, but so powerful.

How did you build the touch interface?

B>

• Members

How did you build the touch interface?

It's basically a capacitive type. I used PC board for the sensing elements, with little holes for the LED to stick through. The LEDs have very narrow tips. The fun part was making it ignore electrical noise, as I wanted it to be reliable & responsive.

• Members

Never did find a way to get it to the market, I'm having to spend too much time earning a living. It seems that if a synth company is large enough to have the resources it would take to develop this, they are also afraid of doing anything "different". Doing anything different is perceived as risk, much better to not change anything unless you absolutely have to. A bit like what was said in the movie Head Office: "If you don't make any decisions, you can't make a bad one".

Maybe that is why so many of the new synths every year seem like rehashed versions of the last year's models.

• Members

It's basically a capacitive type. I used PC board for the sensing elements, with little holes for the LED to stick through. The LEDs have very narrow tips. The fun part was making it ignore electrical noise, as I wanted it to be reliable & responsive.

What sort of resolution does it give you?

B>

• Members

What sort of resolution does it give you?

Whatever resolution I want.:D

For the DX7, the software cuts the resolution down to whatever each parameter can use. Nothing on this synth can handle more than a resolution of 128 points at most. Internally, the controller can easily obtain a resolution of several hundred points per inch.

• Members

yeah, sombody should just link to the original thread. rylos - was it posted as your current username? should be easy to find. hopefully the pic of your daughter giving us all the middle finger is still up there. :)

EDIT: here it is...

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=710729

looks like the 'offensive' pics have been removed. :(

Archived