why do you like live?

xavios

• Members

Whoa, just because it's like this program is breathing and knows what you want.

This software is funny, 'nuff said. And it's also bulletproof: many times my pc was frozen, and this little bad guy still was playing without a glitch. Simple and powerful, what else you need? :D

Do the tutorials, like pix said: then, everything will be crystally clear.

• Members

Live (like Acid and Fruity Loops) is loop based...if you don't do loop based composition it probably won't make much sense, just as software designed for linear song composition probably annoy the hell out of loop fans. That's the biggest difference with Cubase.

It's also oriented toward using it in real time (like on a gig!) allowing you to create/modify songs as they are playing.

Live is NOT intuitive.

Why?

Because it does things no other DAW can. even in their wildest dreams. So, you don't know that feature exist in the world, you have no idea it can be done. You have absolutely to read the manual and see tutorials to have an idea about what the program can do ot not.

I am a lead clinician for live and I start by saying that

"the program has its own way to work. You can use it as any other DAW for Multi-track MIDI + Audio recording, mixing and editing in the market but then you will be missing a 75% of the fun of using live".

Non loop-based amenities:

For creating songs in the fly, it is VERY quick and powerful since it can be almost "trackless" oriented, just like that old MIDI program from MOTU called FreeStyle. You record your parts and then you do the arrangement.

To have all of your music for your show in the same track available at the touch of a button, and all of your soft synths + midi controllers available, it rocks.

For live Producer-DJ performance, it is the only one in its kind.

For a radio station, where you can hace all of your tunes for your show in one track, all the commercials in other, audio FX in other and get your audio signal live into the program and broadcast it direct from the program, it is priceless.

If standard audio / MIDI editing is your cup of tea, it won't surprise you far beyond what Pro Tools, Nuendo, Sonar or Cubase can do.

• Members

it's great for 'interactive song arranging' ...

you can just try out different combinations of parts/riffs together... when you find a good combination you capture that to a 'scene'..

then you can arrange the whole track in realtime by starting at bar one, hitting record mode, and clicking on each 'scene' button whenever the mood strikes you.

if you leave a scene playing for longer than the length of clips in it, sure they will 'loop' but that doesn't really imply you are using loops, it can amount to more of a 'twice thru the chorus' or whatever.

• Members

Originally posted by Gus Lozada

Live is NOT intuitive.

Why?

maybe not to you but it was pretty intuitive to me.

You have absolutely to read the manual and see tutorials to have an idea about what the program can do ot not.

true if you have never seen how it works you could view a half an hour of tutorials ...but I have yet to really need to get down with the manual....I have only needed to open it a few times...even I was surprised.....basically if I think something should work a certain way I try it first and with live it always seems to work the way I think it should....if not then I crack the manual.

You can use it as any other DAW for Multi-track MIDI + Audio recording, mixing and editing in the market but then you will be missing a 75% of the fun of using live".

it isnt like any other DAW and so for those people I would say "research something before you buy it"

I just watched M Audios tutorials on line and played with the demo for a few hours and I was easily hooked. THen I bought.

Ive been recording since about 1990 on tape and then finally a few years back went to Digital Performer for mac and got so frustrated with it that I finally bought Live...and it was the right choice. I welcome the new way of working (loops - well new for me) but most of all Live is easy to get up and running and recording....I think you need to get used to it - and you also need to be interested in it - but after that (and we're talking a few hours for me) the learning curve is total cake....Reason is very similar in this regard. Digital Performer...well I worked with it for about a year and never got used to the learning curve - way more difficult to master for me....way too much garbage that I will never use....not an easy program for me...but everyone is different.

• Members

Originally posted by idiotboy

If I don't work with loops, is there anything remarkable about Live?

I don't use pre-fab loops but I use Live all the time to make my own loops. Its just really great for sketching out ideas and arrangements. Once you get used to it, nothing comes close for ease and workflow.

• Members

the routing and i/o are up front and pretty flexible

the automation is up front. though you cant view more than one parameter per instrument or effect at one time.

the included utilitarian samplers are low on cpu and very handy.

i chop up a lot of waveforms.. the syncing and warping are handy to keep everything in tempo without worrying.

trust me.. whether you like repetitive music or not electronic music is based on loops. so its ability to handle loops so handily is an advantage. but you dont have to STICK with loops if you dont want. it can work like any other DAW just fine.. but its abilities that no other DAW have kind of overshadow what other DAWs focus on.

get it?

err.. yeah it took me a couple of weeks of playing with it for 30 or so minutes a day to finally get what the deal was.

• Members

And what about Operator....I plunked down the $150 on it while I wait for some NI VSTs to go Universal, and it's actually a hell of a synth. Combined with all the built-in audio effects in Live, and the ease of creating clip automation envelopes, it's a real wolf in sheep's clothing.

• Members

Originally posted by warpus

I don't use pre-fab loops but I use Live all the time to make my own loops. Its just really great for sketching out ideas and arrangements. Once you get used to it, nothing comes close for ease and workflow.

oh yeah, that was what I meant too. I didn't mean working with sampled loops but in terms of how you work your own material. There are folks that like to compose linearly, for this I'd say something like sonar/cubase/logic is probably better, but if you like to record and then loop your own stuff, then Live is a present from the Gods! :D

not so good as the swedish twins though.....:freak:

Archived