Barge Concepts BB-1 BeeBaa Clone (Review, Clips, Etc.)

ck3

• Members

CK3-

Thanks for the detailed and insightful review! The clips sound great, and I'm looking forward to the other 'chapters' of your review. I hope everyone digs the pedal as much as you...

I just thought i'd throw my $.02 in....

Originally posted by ck3

Chapter 1: Overall Impressions and Low Gain Tones

... the parcel. The contents were well-packed in a wad of thick bubble wrap and the pedal itself was neatly folded inside a piece of static- resistant plastic. Geoff and Co. definitely disaster proofed their goods.

Barry gets the credit for this. He packed and shipped this batch of BB-1s. Good to know that it arrived safely.

Originally posted by ck3

...The chassis was much shinier than my other unfinished pedals...

We finish the boxes by hand, grinding away some of the original finish, in an attempt to get a 'classier,' more uniform look. It's a fair amount of work, but I think it's worth it. We might move up to a sandblasting setup - we did some tests (with cheap equiptment) and were not happy with the results. We may try again in the future

Originally posted by ck3

... but the positioning of the knobs is a bit awkward for me. This is mainly due to the fact that I have other pedals surrounding the BB-1 on my board. Still, it is easy enough to turn the BB-1 up on its side to adjust the knobs whenever necessary...

We realize that alot of people will feel the same way about the layout. For now, we're trying to keep the layout based on the the original...

Originally posted by JuanPabloJr.

How much are they again?

Originally posted by ck3

introductory price was $169 (with shipping) ... but I'm not certain what the going rate will be after these go into full production.

I'm not sure what pricing is going to be either... We want to keep things affordable, but we don't want to lose our shirts. It's taking longer than we thought to build a single unit, so sometime soon (late this month, or early september) pricing will go up. But it should still be less than $200.

Originally posted by Fingermush

wow, looks neat. WTF does the bypass need an led? Symmetry?

Yup. And I thought it looked cool. We couldn't find bicolour LEDs that we liked, so we went with two LEDs for each position on the switch. I dunno, I dig it.

Again, Charles - You 'da man! Thanks!

Geoff Bryant
info@bargeconcepts.com

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by marfue179

sounds like all the other fuzzes that i've heard from you..

or maybe i'm just tone deaf today

:p

I believe that the fuzzes in my clips (except for the Zvex Fuzz Factory and Bigtone Music Anthology) have been the type with silicon transistors ... that might explain the smilarity ... ;)

I think that you will begin to hear the difference in my mid and high gain clips ... :) ... I recorded one of the mid gain clips tonight ....... it's a deliciously irreverent interpretation of part of a famous pop song. :D

More later. :p

• Members

Originally posted by camerashake

What's your rig/recording setup for these?

Thanks!

Schecter S-1 Elite guitar (coils tapped at times, volume and tone adjusted periodically, and various pickups selected)>Boss GT-8 (Barge Concepts BB-1 in loop w/no effects and dual L/R preamp mode)>Behringer UB802 mixer (set flat) >Echo Audio Mia>Cool Edit Pro 1.x(recording)>Audacity (WAV reformatting/volume adjustment)>Musicmatch Jukebox 10 (MP3 conversion)

• Members

Nice one Charles!

Just a word about the volume on the original - mine is as loud as hell if you want it to be, and I have never hit a spot on any of the dials that doesn't allow me to adjust the volume to taste.

Still my GAS rises for this clone.

:cool:

• Members
Originally posted by Boron

Nice one Charles!

Just a word about the volume on the original - mine is as loud as hell if you want it to be, and I have never hit a spot on any of the dials that doesn't allow me to adjust the volume to taste.

Still my GAS rises for this clone.

:cool:

I am actually wondering if the preset I was using on my GT-8 had something to do with the volume wierdness ... or maybe the buffer in its loop created some sort of issue ... or the loop return may be getting overdriven just to the point of compression. :confused:

Whatever the cause, I should have probably been clear about the properties of the GT-8 preset in question. It has a tendency to react oddly to some fuzzes. Basically, it shows very little deviance in volume when their output levels are in the upper range. The only exceptions have been the Uglyface and Glitch Computer ... but both could blow a speaker ... with output to spare. :eek:

I'm thinking that some more GT-8 tweaking may be necessary before the next volley of clips. :o

• Members
Originally posted by ollenorin

how does it cut through in a bandsituation ? when yr dealing with bass and drums and maybe another guitarist ?

That's one of the few questions I can't answer at the moment. :(

• Members
Originally posted by ollenorin

im gonna try to record stuff with the bb1 tomorrow at the studio....interesting to hear what its gonna sound. like..

I'll bet it will sound even better with a real amplifier (or two). :cool:

• Members

It's actually going to be a week or so before I can work on more clips/analysis of the pedal. The aforementioned volume issues had me concerned, so I sent the pedal back to Barge Concepts for a diagnostic.

Geoff has been super professional/responsive throughout our business dealings, so I expect to see it again soon. :cool:

• Members

Originally posted by ck3

Olle and AF-100-Do you experience volume dips with Tone A when using an amplifier? Also, where is unity gain on your BeeBaa/clone's volume knob?

I have an original- the scooped setting doesn't punch through like the mid-thick "tone B" but er, not much does to be honest! More of a perceived volume drop than an actual one, due to the scoop. I will check out where unity gain is on mine for you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

My BB-1 is offically back on my board. It turns out that the impedance of my GT-8 and a crappy Rayovac battery (only delivering 7v) were mostly to blame for the volume loss issues. I just popped a Golden Power 9v into my BB-1, and it is much louder, clearer, etc. now. :cool:

Many thanks to Geoff and Barry for the rapid turnaround and exhaustive battery of tests. :)

Archived