Lets talk about The Daily Show

jcn37203

• Members

Holy crap, I love this show.

I'm really sad that Stephen Colbert left the show, his comedic timing and deadpan delivery are so perfect, it brings a tear to my eye.

BTW, he was in that move Bewitched, which was really bizarre. He plays a really small, non-funny role. I guess maybe he's persuing an acting career, instead of the fake news path.

Ralph Corgery is funny too, but his humor is a lot more goofy like. Since COlbert left, he's been trying to fill the dry humor/sarcastic role, but it's not working as well.

But anyways, did you guys see the episode the other day with the guy who wrote that book "100 people who are ruining America'?

That one was funny, because John Stewart tore his book to shreds, but in such a nice way. And the author was so funny about it also.

Anyways, that show alone is worth the price of a DVR.

• Members

The only show that is a must watch for me. And I usually only see it about 50% of the time. :D

Everyone bitches about the new setup but I think they're missing the point which is the newer format which is great. He has more time alotted for interviews now.

The great thing about Jon Stewart (and I don't know why people still don't figure this out, particularly after the Crossfire incident) is that they go on there and they expect to be able to roll over him as he's a comedian and you can see the shock on people's faces when he starts talking. "We haven't had any threats since the election"
"well actually we had the one in December"
"oh yeah..except that one."

LOL!!

I LOVED the episode you're talking about. Couldn't agree with Jon more. The guy was just baffled at why Jon Stewart was ripping his ass to shreds but Jon is like "man..the 100 most dangerous people and Barbara Streisand is on there because she has a blog?!?"

My favorite part was:
"so you don't think I have enough conservatives?"
"I'm saying you have 3 conservatives in here and one of them blew up an abortion clinic." :D

I love how Jon is unashamedly liberal and beats the {censored} out of Democrats on a daily basis. When he covered the Karl Rove story, I told my wife "that is the most clear and concise version of the story that has been on the media to date." And we were laughing the next night the editor of Newsweek was the guest and told him that exact same thing. I was pissed! I had to go to about 20 different places to put all of the pieces of that story together.

One other thing, and I'll take my lips from his ass....I love how he has the opposition on there. He had Zell Miller and let Zell speak his peace. I loved it at the end he said "Zell, I disagree with you on some things....actually I disagree with you on everything but I think you're a good man and your heart is in the right place."

He was a lot nicer to that piece of {censored} than I ever could have been.

• Members

i love the daily show with all my heart but i must admit that i hate the new set and i hate the new interview format.

i think stewart is taking himself a little too seriously lately. as much as he plays it off like the show is an absurd parody of the news whoch means nothing, i think deep down he knows how seriously people take it as a political commentary.

i give it 2 more years before it's a full blown crossfire type show with bits of humor thrown in here and there.

• Members
Originally posted by (((echo)))

yep.. i've got about a dozen shows waiting for me on DVR. i can watch it everyday or i can take a week off and catch up
:)

awesome show... if i was a women i think lewis black would make me wet just watching his manic finger work
:eek:

I can't wait to get DVR. Never watch commercials again, never miss anything worth watching, and no crappy VCR quality.

• Members

Originally posted by Thelonius

The only show that is a must watch for me...

Did you see the one about the space shuttle? The guy brought in examples of the foam and the heat reflective tiles, and showed them to Jon, and he was like "This is it? Where the {censored} are the *BILLIONS* of dollars going? I wouldn't put this {censored} on my trailor!"

That episode was especially funny because the guest wasn't affraid of Jon's wit. So they did the back and forth banter thing, which is great. Too often the guest sits there like a deer in the headlights.

I also really like the episode (can you tell I watched the backlog yesterday?) with the author of that book 'The Last True Story I'll Ever Tell', because he's an actual verteran of the Iraq war, and he was talking about his time in Iraq, and he said that line "This is right after the... war... ended". It was great.

• Members

Originally posted by paulandpaul

i give it 2 more years before it's a full blown crossfire type show with bits of humor thrown in here and there.

Nah, thats nuts.

It's comedy central. The show stops being funny, it goes away.

Politically Incorrect with Bill Mahr was similar. It was comedy, but people took it seriously.

I don't think it's been any more serious lately. I mean, I just watched almost a weeks worth, and Jon was just as goofy as ever, I'd say.

It does seem less funny without Stephen Colbert, that's my main complaint.

The hurricane episode was hilarious.

• Members

Originally posted by jcn37203

Nah, thats nuts.

It's comedy central. The show stops being funny, it goes away.

Politically Incorrect with Bill Mahr was similar. It was comedy, but people took it seriously.

I don't think it's been any more serious lately. I mean, I just watched almost a weeks worth, and Jon was just as goofy as ever, I'd say.

It does seem less funny without Stephen Colbert, that's my main complaint.

The hurricane episode was hilarious.

I like watching Bill Mahr's HBO special. I also liked Politically Incorrect on Comedy Central. It got too lame on ABC.

I think Jon Stewart has learned his lesson though. Think about how huge he is. Surely he's gotten major offers before. I mean if someone will hire Jimmy Kimmel and Adam Corrola's sorry unfunny asses on the networks then Stewart would have no problem. He always makes fun of himself because he's on cable but I don't think that's an accident. He just looks at the fate of Craig Kilborne and the others.

He's a big fish in a small pond. He has his own audience and zero competition for it. When you go toe to toe with Leno and Letterman and Conan.....makes things a little harder.

• Members

Originally posted by BIGD

I can't wait to get DVR. Never watch commercials again, never miss anything worth watching, and no crappy VCR quality.

yeah it's amazing... i rarely watch anything live now aside from sports. it's nice sitting in bed at night and having my choice of any of my favorite shows.. not nearly as much flip flip flip flip flip flip flip flip flip flip flip flip flip flip flip flip

• Members

I've still never really watched it. Just a minute here and there. I guess I just don't watch enough TV. The other show that I've gotta check out now is the Ali G show. My one buddy was telling me that it's pretty good. I mean, we've even got HBO included for free in our cable, but I've never watched that our any of the other shows that people rave about.

AND I love Stephen Colbert, just from his role on Strangers With Candy, one of my favorite shows EVER....

• Members

I like watching Bill Mahr's HBO special. I also liked Politically Incorrect on Comedy Central. It got too lame on ABC.

I think Jon Stewart has learned his lesson though. Think about how huge he is. Surely he's gotten major offers before. I mean if someone will hire Jimmy Kimmel and Adam Corrola's sorry unfunny asses on the networks then Stewart would have no problem. He always makes fun of himself because he's on cable but I don't think that's an accident. He just looks at the fate of Craig Kilborne and the others.

He's a big fish in a small pond. He has his own audience and zero competition for it. When you go toe to toe with Leno and Letterman and Conan.....makes things a little harder.

I think he summed it up on Crossfire.

"How's it pay?"

"Not much, but you can sleep at night".

The Daily Show leaving Comedy Central would be a nightmare.

Didn't he already have a talk show on Fox way back in the day? I think so, it totally bombed.

• Members

Did anyone see Mahr on Larry King last night? I was mad because he stole one of my jokes, as people tend to do a lot. (they don't REALLY steal them but he did make a joke I've been making for several months now).

I agreed with Mahr on 99.9% of everything he said. My wife was laughing because it sounded like he'd just been tapping my brain or something.

And that's weird because I have mixed feelings on him. I agree with him politically, and I do think he's funny but his smugness gets annoying to me sometimes and he's very Kestral like in his depictions of anything not him. If he's talking about the south the first thing he reaches for is an incest joke for instance. He acts like everyone in the world that has a wife/husband or kid is an SUV driving soccer mom that belongs to the Eagles club or whatever.

• Members

Holy crap, I love this show.

I'm really sad that Stephen Colbert left the show, his comedic timing and deadpan delivery are so perfect, it brings a tear to my eye.

BTW, he was in that move Bewitched, which was really bizarre. He plays a really small, non-funny role. I guess maybe he's persuing an acting career, instead of the fake news path.

Ralph Corgery is funny too, but his humor is a lot more goofy like. Since COlbert left, he's been trying to fill the dry humor/sarcastic role, but it's not working as well.

But anyways, did you guys see the episode the other day with the guy who wrote that book "100 people who are ruining America'?

That one was funny, because John Stewart tore his book to shreds, but in such a nice way. And the author was so funny about it also.

Anyways, that show alone is worth the price of a DVR.

Well that would be Rob Cordry, and I like his humor. I do agree about Stephen Colbert, he was funny as hell and I will miss his God machine. The other guy I love is Ed Helms. He says the stupidest {censored} during interviews and keeps a completely straight face. He kills me.

It shows you how to cross the plitical bridge. I hate Stewarts politics as I feel he's a left-whining bitch, but I never miss that show because it's so damn funny.

My only knock on it right now is Samantha Bee. I just don't find her funny.

And about the Bernie Goldberg interview, I wouldn't say he tore it to shreds, but I would say that he respectfully disagreed with him without being an asshole about it. He actually manages to get interviews with Republicans because he doesn't try to roast them alive. He lets them get their viewpoint out, he presents his viewpoint, and if they disagree, he at least doesn't make it the end of the world and he does it with humor. I wish more interviewers could figure that out.

• Members

Originally posted by BillyGrahamCracker

I've still never really watched it. Just a minute here and there. I guess I just don't watch enough TV. The other show that I've gotta check out now is the Ali G show. My one buddy was telling me that it's pretty good. I mean, we've even got HBO included for free in our cable, but I've never watched that our any of the other shows that people rave about.

AND I love Stephen Colbert, just from his role on
Strangers With Candy,
one of my favorite shows EVER....

Dude I've been raving about Ali G forever!

I might buy the DVD.

At least rent it from Netflix. Not sure how high the re-watch value is on that one.

• Members

I love the daily show, and i especially love how much many people on other shows underestimate Stewart.

I also like the fact that he usually attempts to have a real conversation with most conservatives, and is usually polite. I saw anne coulter on there over a year ago, and actually almost thought he was too nice.

Jon Stewart makes me feel like there is hope for America. Many other liberals make me feel like it is hopeless.

• Members

Did anyone see Mahr on Larry King last night? I was mad because he stole one of my jokes, as people tend to do a lot. (they don't REALLY steal them but he did make a joke I've been making for several months now).

I agreed with Mahr on 99.9% of everything he said. My wife was laughing because it sounded like he'd just been tapping my brain or something.

And that's weird because I have mixed feelings on him. I agree with him politically, and I do think he's funny but his smugness gets annoying to me sometimes and he's very Kestral like in his depictions of anything not him. If he's talking about the south the first thing he reaches for is an incest joke for instance. He acts like everyone in the world that has a wife/husband or kid is an SUV driving soccer mom that belongs to the Eagles club or whatever.

I thought of you on that Daily Show episode with the '100 people' book guy, when they made the Alabama jokes.

"He's a supreme court judge and..."

"He's an Alabama supreme court judge."

"Well he's still a..."

"Alabama"

"Do you really want to lose Alabama?"

"This is Comedy Central, you think I have Alabama?"

• Members

I thought of you on that Daily Show episode with the '100 people' book guy, when they made the Alabama jokes.

"He's a supreme court judge and..."

"He's an
Alabama
supreme court judge."

"Well he's still a..."

"
Alabama
"

"Do you really want to lose Alabama?"

"This is Comedy Central, you think I have Alabama?"

i remember that... hilarious!

• Members

I don't really understand the "left whining bitch" accusation about liberals.

It seems like boilerplate word combination without any real meaning. Like "flip flop".

I mean, who doesn't make complaints? The conservatives constantly complain about the godlessness of our culture.

The Democrats are the minority in government right now, there really is nothing they can do actively except try to get their message out to more people to try and win more elections. But any criticism is called complaining and whining. It's sort of a meaningless phrase, and it's basically just a prick way of saying you have different ideology.

Archived