Lets talk about The Daily Show

jcn37203

• Members

Ive said it before and I'll say it again.

Jon Stewart should run for president.

Seriously.

He is more informed and aware (and intelligent) than pretty much any politician out there, AND he is very popular.

BTW, I loved the interview he did with Jim Wallis (author of "God's Politics : Why the Right Gets It Wrong and the Left Doesn't Get It")

• Members

Originally posted by jcn37203

I don't really understand the "left whining bitch" accusation about liberals.

It seems like boilerplate word combination without any real meaning. Like "flip flop".

I mean, who doesn't make complaints? The conservatives constantly complain about the godlessness of our culture.

The Democrats are the minority in government right now, there really is nothing they can do actively except try to get their message out to more people to try and win more elections. But any criticism is called complaining and whining. It's sort of a meaningless phrase, and it's basically just a prick way of saying you have different ideology.

Well it's the same mentality, just a different perspective. While you and others thought hat Jon Stewart "shredded" Bernie Goldberg, I didn't see that at all. I saw a respectful debate with humor. But you WANTED to see Bernie shredded so that's what you 'saw'. Just as I see him as a liberal apologist. As I said, I hate his politics, but I can put that aside and enjoy the show because it is truly funny.

• Members

Originally posted by mugglesport

Ive said it before and I'll say it again.

Jon Stewart should run for president.

Seriously.

He is more informed and aware (and intelligent) than pretty much any politician out there, AND he is very popular.

BTW, I loved the interview he did with Jim Wallis (author of "God's Politics : Why the Right Gets It Wrong and the Left Doesn't Get It")

I like Stewart too but EASY there fella.

• Members

I don't really understand the "left whining bitch" accusation about liberals.

It seems like boilerplate word combination without any real meaning. Like "flip flop".

I mean, who doesn't make complaints? The conservatives constantly complain about the godlessness of our culture.

The Democrats are the minority in government right now, there really is nothing they can do actively except try to get their message out to more people to try and win more elections. But any criticism is called complaining and whining. It's sort of a meaningless phrase, and it's basically just a prick way of saying you have different ideology.

It's just a dumbass thing people say. No one political affiliation whines anymore than anyone else.

I have a hardcore Republican in my office who goes on every day about how he's repressed because he's a Christian. :rolleyes:

I live in Alabama...I saw the dumbass grown {censored}ing men, not just whining...CRYING on their knees to keep the Ten Commandments in there. Holy {censored}.

Each side whines and bitches. That's the nature. If anyone here can truly represent that one side whines more than the other they can have every posession I own. But they can't do it because it's just a dumb{censored} scarecrow tactic. Does Yaz or anyone else want to tell me conservatives weren't whining about Terry Shiavo?

Libs are doing it right now over John Roberts. I understood it about Bolton. John Roberts is as good of a Supreme Court Justice as we could possibly get. Kennedy and Boxer need to shut the {censored} up. As far as I'm concerned we need to be breathing sighs of relief. Jesus Christ, Ann Coulter hates the guy..how bad can he be? :D

• Members

I thought of you on that Daily Show episode with the '100 people' book guy, when they made the Alabama jokes.

:)

"He's a supreme court judge and..."

"He's an
Alabama
supreme court judge."

"Well he's still a..."

"
Alabama
"

"Do you really want to lose Alabama?"

"This is Comedy Central, you think I have Alabama?"

I thought the exact same thing.

He may be my favorite liberal. He disagrees, but he is civil...and civility on both sides is in short supply.

• Members

Originally posted by yaz75

I like Stewart too but EASY there fella.

IMO, while the office of the president does weild some pretty big power, in the long run it is the cabinet that really does most of the work, pending the president's approval. So really, as long as the president is smart enough to appoint the right people and they do their jobs, it doesnt matter that much who he or she actually is...

• Members

Originally posted by yaz75

Well it's the same mentality, just a different perspective. While you and others thought hat Jon Stewart "shredded" Bernie Goldberg, I didn't see that at all. I saw a respectful debate with humor. But you WANTED to see Bernie shredded so that's what you 'saw'. Just as I see him as a liberal apologist. As I said, I hate his politics, but I can put that aside and enjoy the show because it is truly funny.

I'm pretty sure I said he shredded the book, but in a nice way.

I didn't want to see him shred the guy. I had no idea who he was, never heard of him. {censored}, I thought he was going to be supportive of him, and the book would be about 100 republicans or something.

What I'm saying is that he argued the perspective (I was going to say 'pointed out that', but I guess that would be assuming the idea as fact, and maybe people do believe Michael Jackson is destroying America) that saying entertainers, pop culture flashes in the pan, and fly-by-night bloggers are destroying our nation is rather inane. Basically undercutting the entire pretense of the book. Thus shredding it.

And yes, it was done in a very polite, respectful and comedic way.

I especially liked that he came back from commercial and gave the last part of the show to the guest to speak his mind, whereas that time is usually spent with Jon alone on camera making one last comment, then saying goodbye and introducing the moment of zen.

• Members

I'm pretty sure I said he shredded the book, but in a nice way.

I didn't want to see him shred the guy. I had no idea who he was, never heard of him. {censored}, I thought he was going to be supportive of him, and the book would be about 100 republicans or something.

What I'm saying is that he argued the perspective (I was going to say 'pointed out that', but I guess that would be assuming the idea as fact, and maybe people do believe Michael Jackson is destroying America) that saying entertainers, pop culture flashes in the pan, and fly-by-night bloggers are destroying our nation is rather inane. Basically undercutting the entire pretense of the book. Thus shredding it.

And yes, it was done in a very polite, respectful and comedic way.

I especially liked that he came back from commercial and gave the last part of the show to the guest to speak his mind, whereas that time is usually spent with Jon alone on camera making one last comment, then saying goodbye and introducing the moment of zen.

Perfect point. He shredded the book. Not the man.

• Members

Holy crap, I love this show.

I'm really sad that Stephen Colbert left the show, his comedic timing and deadpan delivery are so perfect, it brings a tear to my eye.

BTW, he was in that move Bewitched, which was really bizarre. He plays a really small, non-funny role. I guess maybe he's persuing an acting career, instead of the fake news path.

Ralph Corgery is funny too, but his humor is a lot more goofy like. Since COlbert left, he's been trying to fill the dry humor/sarcastic role, but it's not working as well.

But anyways, did you guys see the episode the other day with the guy who wrote that book "100 people who are ruining America'?

That one was funny, because John Stewart tore his book to shreds, but in such a nice way. And the author was so funny about it also.

Anyways, that show alone is worth the price of a DVR.

coupla things:

1. are you sure you don't mean Steve Carell? Colbert was on last nite, doing This Week in God.

b. it's Rob Cordry.

• Members
Originally posted by delorean

coupla things:

1. are you sure you don't mean Steve Carell? Colbert was on last nite, doing This Week in God.

Either it was a rerun, or maybe he isn't actually gone yet. But Jon announced it last week some time. I didn't see him on any of my DVRs episodes yesterday, so maybe you saw a rerun or something. Or maybe it was coincidence.

Originally posted by delorean

b. it's Rob Cordry.

Yes, Yaz pointed this out.

I WAS WRONG, OK PEOPLE?!

CRAP! I CAN"T BE PERFECT!

:)

• Members
Originally posted by Thelonius

Libs are doing it right now over John Roberts. I understood it about Bolton. John Roberts is as good of a Supreme Court Justice as we could possibly get. Kennedy and Boxer need to shut the {censored} up. As far as I'm concerned we need to be breathing sighs of relief. Jesus Christ, Ann Coulter hates the guy..how bad can he be?
:D

+1

• Members

I like the daily show, but the other people that are on there aren't even to as close to being as funny as jon stewart. When he leaves, that show is going to die a horrible death.

I don't like the show that on after it now. I used to watch it at 12:30 everynight, but they don't rerun it at that time slot anymore, so I've missed a few of them.

Originally posted by Brian Marshall

Jon Stewart makes me feel like there is hope for America. Many other liberals make me feel like it is hopeless.

If only there was a figure from the conservative side that did the same. :D

• Members

Dude I've been raving about Ali G forever!

I might buy the DVD.

At least rent it from Netflix. Not sure how high the re-watch value is on that one.

I got it from Blockbuster last night (the first season). I watched one and a half episodes and I must say it was really, really good. I'd been avoiding him for years, ever since he was in that one Madonna video. But he's pretty funny. I like that Borat character the best.

• Members

Originally posted by Thelonius

I like everything except Ali G. The other stuff on there I think's pretty funny.

I liked when he was training at the police academy. My question is, do the people know that it's all a joke? Are they coached to just play along? I thought it was funny when he was getting dating lessons from that old lady and he's like "so when are we going to have sex?"

• Members

Originally posted by BillyGrahamCracker

I liked when he was training at the police academy. My question is, do the people know that it's all a joke? Are they coached to just play along? I thought it was funny when he was getting dating lessons from that old lady and he's like "so when are we going to have sex?"

Since he landed interviews with people like Peter Jennings, and Andy Rooney, I'd say they probably don't know whats going on.

I mean, he got Peter Jennings (I think it was Jennings, one of those news anchor guys) to unknowingly make a double dong blowjob motion with his hands. I doubt someone like that would knowingly do that in an interview.

Andy Rooney walked out of the interview... lol.

Archived