Damn Neighbours and noise...

Vince

• Members

So I got me a new fuzz pedal today (Crucible GE - Thanks KarateSchnitzle) and by the time I get back from playing football after work and have a chance to try it, it's 9pm. So I go and turn my amp on to have a quick play, and at about 9.30 my neighbour is knocking on my door telling me to be quiet.

Now the amp was a Matamp C7 with an attenuator set to 9 o'clock and it wasn;t THAT loud. The walls are solid brick (built in the 1920's ish maybe before) so not paper thin.

What really pisses me off is that I've had this problem for a while now (neighbours complaining that is) in various houses I've lived in. I either need to earn some serious money and buy a big detached house in the middle of nowhere, or take up stamp collecting!!!

What do you guys do to get around this problem, and how loud can you play at home, without getting complaints?

Cheers

/[Rant Over]:mad: :mad:

• Members

out of interest i would ask if you could hear the noise levels from their flat, play music or a looped guitar at your usuall volume and go through to theirs and hear how loud it actually is, and see if it is realistically a bother to them or if they are being very sensitive

even if it doesnt really solve the probleem, it would still be interesting to see how much you do bother them, so you can either turn down or just ignore them as being annoyingly picky

also ask them if there are any times you can play guitar happily, try and come to a compromise, that they will let you off a couple of evenings (as long as you arent playing until 3am) as long as you respect them at other times, or any similar ideas

David

• Members

Some people have babies that need sleep and wake easily. Some people are particularly sensitive to noise. Some people just get off on negativity, and are always looking for something to bitch about. Regardless of the reason, making less noise is really the only solution. Talk to your neighbor about hours when your playing would be acceptable, get headphones, rent a practice space... you'll work it out.

Oh, and I find that small speakers/cabs go a long way to helping reduce structure-borne sound transmission.

• Members

IMHO you need to work with your neighbours.

I have my amps in the loft on an isolated floor and I have a 9pm curfew. They have only complained once when I was running the Nano full bore with a Les Paul. I thought they were out. I think the E13 TBD was the last straw :).

Anyway they are too busy complaining about the drum kit, perhaps you need to get one.

• Members

one thing you could look at is where your amp is, if it is right next to a connecting wall between you and their bedroom, then they will hear it a lot louder than if it was in a room at the opposite side of the flat, and closing doors and so on can make a difference to the sound travelling through

i am quite luky that i live in a semi detached flat so i can play at a resonable volume, i dont know how well my neighbours can hear it when i do turn up a bit, but they have never said anything to me (and are fairly friendly) there is another room between me and them and i always try and close the doors or anything to stop the sound travelling as easily (granted half the time i have the window open though)

if all esle fails, record them ranting and turn them into an amusing song

David

• Members

Good luck with that. No suggestions, except try to work out some form of compromise.

I remember when I first moved into my detached house 10 years ago and we liked to play music loudly at 9pm. The guy next door who had small kids came knocking and basically complained that it was way too loud for his small kids who were trying to sleep. We had just moved in, and wanting to be nice neighbors, oblidged. Fast forward 10 years...

Their kids are now teenagers, and play loud music at all hours and have drums...etc...We have the small children who are in bed at 8pm. Hmmm...

No I'm not knocking, cause I'm a cool guy and still play my music loud...my kids sleep through it.:D

I think people just need to get along with one another, and stop being whiney pricks.:mad:

Archived