Please rate my pedal collection and offer suggestions...

Phil O'Keefe

• Members

There are a lot of variants of the Univox Super Fuzz on e-bay, usually the wah-fuzz versions for dirt cheap. $25 to $50. These all have a great splattery fuzz with a tone switch to go between flat and scooped mids. Real fun.

Here are the classics that a great collection should have:

1. Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi (vintage preferably)
2. Ibanez TS-9 (though I really am not into this one)
3. (Dallas) Arbiter Fuzz Face
4. Maestro Fuzz Tone (FZ-1 or FZ-1A)
5. Univox Super Fuzz
6. Vox Tone Bender (Mk II is the top of the heap but hard to find)
7. Foxx Tone Machine
8. Fender Blender
9. Roland Bee-Baa
10. Mosrite Fuzzrite / Rosac Nu-Fuzz

These are all classics and a lot of tonal variety, some have been reissued, some cloned, some are still just in the dusty corners of people's homes.

• Members

Phil, there is quite a bit of relatively pedestrian stuff on your board right now. I've managed to find a handful of pedestrian pedals that suit me relatively well, but some of the stuff you have in your collection just seems...well...not very good. The biggest offender (IMO) is that Dunlop wah. I remember when I bought mine. I was in high school, and the shop that I went to told me there were only two wah pedals made (this was before the internet was big, so I didn't really have the ability to research and find out otherwise). Between the Crybaby and the Morley, I liked the Crybaby a little better. Truth be told, I didn't like either. The Crybaby is a junk pedal. I have a George Dennis and a Thomas Organ Crybaby now. Both are moderately priced, and both are excellent. To be honest, I'll go as far as to say that I like these two pedals better than the Teese (that's more or less pure blasphemy around these parts--I might be excommunicated now).

I would also junk both of those Dano overdrives and get a cooler grit pedal. Hell, you've got a lot of ground covered with your amps and the modded TS-5. If you really need another color, look into something like a Beano Boost.

I'm not a big fan of the Dano minis, but the two you have seem to be the ones that get respect around here. I don't think I would ever use either of them, however.

The Line6 has got to go. Get some proper modulation pedals.

Archived