Pop songs you would have really liked if it weren't for the vocals (performer)...

StrangeDay

• Members

Whoever wrote that song "The Power of Goodbye" for Madonna was a damn great electronic musician (or maybe just a great songwriter who had help from a really good sound engineer).

Either way, it is a beautiful piece of work.

But when you attach that Pop Star name, it becomes "their" song. I always try to look past that whenever hearing a Britney or Christina Aguilera song. I listen to the SONG. The performer is just a marketing tool. But now I'm straying off from the subject...

Anyway....good pop songs. Don't be ashamed to mention the performer. This is about the songwriter.

• Members

Almost all of Led Zeppelin. I know this is heresy to many people, but I cannot listen to them solely because of the singing; otherwise, I might be a fan. The vocals on practically every song of theirs grate on my nerves. The most awful example is the very end of their cover of the blues song "You Shook Me," when he imitates the guitar with his voice. It makes me want to jump out a window.

• Members

Originally posted by palthegiraffe

Almost all of Led Zeppelin. I know this is heresy to many people, but I cannot listen to them solely because of the singing; otherwise, I might be a fan. The vocals on practically every song of theirs grate on my nerves. The most awful example is the very end of their cover of the blues song "You Shook Me," when he imitates the guitar with his voice. It makes me want to jump out a window.

See, my friend. That is the sole reason why we are not each other's alternate-universe doppleganger. Because if I had to choose ONE point in Zeppelin's catalog (most of which I love), THAT would be the one that I like the most. Or at least in my top five. Wouldn't THAT be a great children's noise-making toy? An electronic Robert Plant that does the sounds at the end of that song when you push the buttons?

• Members

Originally posted by BillyGrahamCracker

Wouldn't THAT be a great children's noise-making toy? An electronic Robert Plant that does the sounds at the end of that song when you push the buttons?

It would be a useful toy/sound in other contexts. Like in a death-metal song, to alternate with the standard Cookie Monster vocals. Or at the end of a Sandi Patti song. But when I hear it at the end of an otherwise-enjoyable honky-blues song, there's something about that vocal tone that subconsciously tells me unpleasant things about bombast and evil. What are hangwire's office hours again? I need therapy.

• Members

I was actually thinking about this very thing yesterday. Two folks whose songs I adore, but whose voices sometimes get on my nerves are Macy Gray and Suede's Brett Anderson. I think this is why I enjoy doing tunes by each of them in a solo acoustic setting; it lets the SONG come out instead of having the original singer's voice overshadow it.

• Members
Originally posted by riffdaddy

+1. That {censored} was tight. I also liked most of the recent No Doubt stuff when they started using all the cheesy eighties synth stuff. And..."Livin' La Vida Loca"
:o

Admit it....It wasn't the song you liked. It was Mr. "Vida Loca" himself :o

;)

Oh...that song "running" by Gwen Stefani had a very nice chord progression and vocal melody. Great tune!! But have you heard the synth sounds they used for that track? :( Pretty dissapointing.

Archived