If you have TZF Paradox, still need chorus and phaser?

joegrant413

• Members

I've promised myself no more pedals till after Christmas!

Well, the Christmas decorations are already out at some stores, so I might start thinkin' about my next pedal purchase :D

The TZF Paradox really grabs my attention now. I like a real good flange effect, but have never heard one with the pedals I've tried.

The price tag on Paradox is kind of high... BUT, I wouldn't mind so much if the Paradox covers the bases for phaser and chorus pretty well. Some of the reviews I've read says it does.

Can anyone on the boards tell me if I'd still want a phaser and chorus if I buy the Paradox?

Thanks,

-- Joe

P.S. The phaser effect would matter more to me than the chorus. (Of course, I realize the Paradox's #1 is to be an excellent flanger effect.)

• Members

Im making the same decision as you.

A flanger is really close to chorus, and you can bet the TZF does a really awesome chorus sound (among with a leslie, vibe, and vibrato sound). Although I don't know how much of a phase shifter it can be like, I don't exactly need both flanger and phaser.

• Members

Originally posted by Central Scrutinizer

the only sound the TZF won't do convincingly enough is that phase 90 sound. that said, since i've had my TZF, i sold both my phase 90 and my boss CE-2. they're just not necessary, and it gives me a totally unique modulation voice.

Hey, thanks for the reply. I think I understand you well enough that the Paradox lets you come up with something new and different that only a Paradox can do.

But can it get close to a phaser sound -- just not the Phase 90's sound?

-- Joe

• Members

Originally posted by joegrant413

Hey, thanks for the reply. I think I understand you well enough that the Paradox lets you come up with something new and different that only a Paradox can do.

But can it get close to a phaser sound -- just not the Phase 90's sound?

-- Joe

my thought when i sold the 90 was that even if i couldn't get exactly that sound out of the TZF, i didn't care.

• Members

Since spending some more time with my TZF, I went and moved my Medusa and Moon Phaser to another board.

The TZF is on the same board as my CC2 and the Vibe section does a nice chorus as well.

Phaser, flanger, chorus, vibe, etc..is all in the TZF. With all the parameters you can adjust and the NEG and POS flanging it will take awhile to find, but its in there.

I have a FoxRox Ex. Pedal on the way to open up even more possibilities. :)

• Members

Originally posted by Central Scrutinizer

my thought when i sold the 90 was that even if i couldn't get exactly that sound out of the TZF, i didn't care.

Cool. BTW, I can really see using something like this for an understated effect that you can keep on for a long time. Something I wouldn't do with my current phaser stuff, but I only have digital multiFX phaser at my disposal.

Thanks to you and the other folks posting!

-- Joe

• Members

the TZF IS one of those pedals that is hard to turn off .

Im doing the same thing Last Nerve did and putting TZF and CC2 on a separate board than the moon phase and medusa. (who's trem I just fell in love with btw)

I love the way the TZF affects my overall tone so its hard for me to set it up as a heavy flange cause i like it on all the time. Plus im going for a smaller setup right now . and no i dont want to sell tzf ! :mad:

• Members

i've had my tzf since it first came out. I don't think the tzf replaces a chorus or a phaser. The tzf will not do a convincing phaser sound, however, it will do "phaser like." It can do almost a convincing chorus. Again, i do not think it replaces your other choruses. It think it is bad to think in these terms. The tzf has many versatile sounds, between phaser, fange and chorus. The sound is so rich and unique that i can't really describe it. There are way too many sounds in that pedal. That is why the learning curve is so high, but the reward is oh so well worth the wait.

check out "boy with a thorn on his side" from my link below for a sound bite.

• Members

Originally posted by Cow4prez

i've had my tzf since it first came out. I don't think the tzf replaces a chorus or a phaser. The tzf will not do a convincing phaser sound, however, it will do "phaser like."...

Hey Cow4prez, nice to hear to hear from you.

"Phaser like" might be cool. It's hard to put into words, but I don't think I have as much of a need for phaser and mod sounds to sound 'authentic'. Not like I the need I had for a true 'cranked amp' sound -- which has been largely satisfied.

BUT, I am looking for *quality* flangey / phaser-ish sounds that sound warm and organic, and I believe I'll get that in a big way from what I've heard about the TZF. I suspect that even if I do want to play some vintage Van Halen and don't have a Phaser 90, the TZF will come through with something better.

Thanks again,

-- Joe

• Members

Originally posted by EvilSoup

Even if the TZF didn't get the phase 90 sound, phase 90s are like $60.
;)

You can zero in on part of the sweep to get a phasor sound, but it's delay based, so it's not really a phase shifter. I use a Phase 100 on my board for those twisty phasor sounds.

Here's a couple slightly cheesy disco solo clips, but there's cool TZF sweep at the beginning. I recorded this with my Iriver sitting near my amp during a gig.

http://www.foxroxelectronics.com/Resources/HostuffDiscoinf.mp3

• Members

Originally posted by Dave Fox

You can zero in on part of the sweep to get a phasor sound, but it's delay based, so it's not really a phase shifter. I use a Phase 100 on my board for those twisty phasor sounds.

Here's a couple slightly cheesy disco solo clips, but there's cool TZF sweep at the beginning. I recorded this with my Iriver sitting near my amp during a gig.

Hey Dave,

Great to hear from you! I'll definitely be checking these clips out.

Thanks,

-- Joe

Archived