Federer - the best to have ever played the game?

fuzzbox

• Members

won't say the best just yet but sure is looking to dominate the game for some time to come.. very well rounded player and he sounds like a pretty humble bloke from the stories i've read about him..

and lucky for him, he didnt gave up tennis about 4 years back.. phew!

• Members
Originally posted by Fourth Floor

Not yet. Going that way. But his year has been matched by others (McEnroe's 1984 has been mentioned). Hasn't won as many Slams as Sampras.

I've been likening him to Lance Armstong, Don Bradman in dominance but he's not quite there yet.

true, but i don't think I've ever seen any one with the same deadly shots as he delivers time after time. As for that backhand I think Ivan Lendl is the only one to match up! But that guy never went to the net and wasn't nearly as entertaining.

• Members
Originally posted by ollenorin

i should mention that i was a big fan of ivan lendl who never got that real attention or apprecitation, cause he was a bit grumpy.

so true, but that straight back hand pass shot was so solid! what ever happened after he retired?

• Members

Originally posted by ollenorin

Did you see his 4th set against Agassi ? that was just unreal....he hit shots like it was no big deal...agassi didnt even react.

+1

that is exactly what i'm talking about, no one even moves on those shots:eek: never seen anyone even close to that delivery

• Members

nobody seems to be able to counter Federer's game a the moment, most powerful shots, really stuff like we've never seen before ... but I still think his game is boring. boringfair player, I was behind Agassi all the way until after the third set, I fell asleep, by then, it already was clear that Agassi wasn't going to win, he had that sad little puppy look in his eyes

anyway, to answer your question, it's very simple
Maria Sharapova is the best!

• Members
Originally posted by bieke

nobody seems to be able to counter Federer's game a the moment, most powerful shots, really stuff like we've never seen before ... but I still think his game is boring. boringfair player, I was behind Agassi all the way until after the third set, I fell asleep, by then, it already was clear that Agassi wasn't going to win, he had that sad little puppy look in his eyes

anyway, to answer your question, it's very simple

Maria Sharapova is the best!

she seem way to close to her daddy...or is it the other way around?

• Members

Originally posted by fuzzbox

so true, but that straight back hand pass shot was so solid! what ever happened after he retired?

he retired with a injured back...and then tried playing pro golf...he was quite good, i saw him on eurosport, but he wasnt close of a top result.

lately ive seen him doing tv-commercials with muscle machines...you kn ow those electric ones where you just wire up yr stomach and dont have to work out at all. pretty low standard for such a classy guy like ivan lendl.

and yes, sharapova is sexy in some weird way......also that dementieva looks very bendy.

• Members

Originally posted by fuzzbox

He's got shots I've never seen anybody execute before and he doesn't even have a trainer or manager. Also only 24 and totally dominating the tennis world! Always fun to watch too!

I must be getting old BUT this crop of techinically superb tennis players BORE ME {censored}LESS!

I miss McEnroe, Nasty, Connors Tanner and a whole host of others with personalities.

Does anyone miss Samprass?

Just my opinion.

• Members

Waste of time trying to compare players from different eras...

...but Federer is very, very good. Makes you wonder what happened to turn him into such an unbeatable player in such a relatively short space of time. It was only a couple of years ago that Hewitt held the No.1 for over a year straight.

May be he sold his soul to the devil...he is Swiss after all.;)

• Members
Originally posted by 4Kenoath

Waste of time trying to compare players from different eras...

...but Federer is very, very good. Makes you wonder what happened to turn him into such an unbeatable player in such a relatively short space of time. It was only a couple of years ago that Hewitt held the No.1 for over a year straight.

May be he sold his soul to the devil...he is Swiss after all.
;)

Not comparing players......
I am making a comment regarding the sterility/lack of emotions exuded in the modern game.

• Members

yup, true that, tennis is a bit boring these days, it was much exciting when McEnroe and Connors and Borg and even Boris Becker were still around, these weren't perfect players, but they played spectacular matches (how the game has changed over the years, tennis technology and power training made the game a lot faster, but very boring indeed)
I also like the coke snorting 70's disco tennisplayers like Guillermo Vilas and Vitas Gerulaitis, anybody remebers those guys ?

• Members

Originally posted by eman

its going to take a few more years of success at this level to be called "the best ever" but he is CERTAINLY on that track.

That's half the reason it's so boring. The results are too predictable now. Everyone just assumes Federer will win. People want to see tight gruelling contests every slam...you know, where they actually earn their millions.

Archived