Pedal Board Set-Up question...

doomy3

• Members

Alright, I am pretty mucha rookie when it comes to pedals and effects. When I am setting up my board, what kind of order should I loop them in? I have several pedals--compressor, Acoustic Simulator, fuzz, overdrive, distortion, PH-5, delay, Wah, and Volume...Can you give me some tips on what the best order is on this stuff, and what difference does it make? I am going to try to get it set up tonight, so your help is appreciated.

• Members

Originally posted by fuzzface71

Can you be more specific what brands?

Sure, didn't know if anyone would want to know the specifics...I have:

Ernie Ball Volume

Fulltone Clyde Standard wah

Keeley Compressor

Keeley Fuzz

Boss AC-2

Ibanez TS-9 modded

Maxon 808

Vox Cooltron Brit Boost

Boss PS-5

Digitech DigiDelay

Fulltone Distortion Pro

Fulltone Soulbender

Boss GE-7

*Looking for a looper to loop the AC-2 and the GE-7 together.

*Also, going to buy the new MOSFET FD2 when it comes out.

• Members

First I wanted to ask.Do you really need 2 TS type pedals? A volume pedal and a booster on your board?

I am actually trying to sell one or the other of the TS pedals. I have a post in the spam thread for that. i just wanted to list everything that I have. I don't have a booster though, and the volume is so I can fade in/out. I play a lot at church, so volumes tend to change quite a bit throughout a song.

• Members

There's really no right or wrong.

It's really tricky since fuzzes, comps, and volume pedal goes first. Though, IMO, you can either choose putting the comp and volume pedal last. It's really your preference.

For now you can put your fuzzes first. Then wah (again wah can also go before fuzz, I just prefer the wah after fuzz.

Next overdrive and distortion.

Then modulation pedals like delay etc..

The key really is experimenting and listening carefully, specially with effects combinations. Take some time experimenting. Lay your pedal on the floor and take some time. Goodluck! :)

• Members

There's really no right or wrong.

It's really tricky since fuzzes, comps, and volume pedal goes first. Though, IMO, you can either choose putting the comp and volume pedal last. It's really your preference.

For now you can put your fuzzes first. Then wah (again wah can also go before fuzz, I just prefer the wah after fuzz.

Next overdrive and distortion.

Then modulation pedals like delay etc..

The key really is experimenting and listening carefully, specially with effects combinations. Take some time experimenting. Lay your pedal on the floor and take some time. Goodluck!
:)

OK, thanks for the help! So, there is really no right way, it is all about personal preference?

• Members

It is mostly about what sounds good, though a certain order has shown to sound good a majority of the time compared to other orders.
I'd go VOL - WAH - FUZZ - OD - then modulation, just making sure to keep the delay last.
But I've enjoyed a phaser before OD many times as well.
Hope that helps. :D

• Members

the general rule of thumb is:
TUNER>>
EQ>>
DISTORTION>>
MODULATION>>
TIME-BASED

EQ includes not just eq pedals but also wah and phaser. (no, it's NOT really a modualtion effect...)
TIME-BASED includes delay, reverb, etc.
volume pedals are usually at the end.

but you can ignore it if you find something better. it's all good. for example, i like the phaser after distortion for a swooshy sound. i also put my flanger and phaser AFTER my reverb so that the 'verb gets shimmery or even soupy, etc.

Archived