Xotic RC Booster

• Members

Waddup with this pedal?

I saw a band last night where the guitarist was swearing up and down by it -- just leaving it on all the time straight into his AC30. Sounded great, and he said it's breathed new life into an amp he was considering selling, after trying so many other pedals and attenuators, etc.

But I understand it's a clean boost? Nothing wrong with that, but anything else about its design that makes it special -- more so than the other well-liked clean boosts... SDP, SHO, Katana etc.?

• Members

Originally posted by Ivor The Engine Driver

But I understand it's a clean boost? Nothing wrong with that, but anything else about its design that makes it special -- more so than the other well-liked clean boosts... SDP, SHO, Katana etc.?

It has a really flexable EQ that allows it to be dialed in with a variety of amps. That's the only thing that makes it stand out. Even with a flexible EQ it still has it's own characteristic (like most pedals) that you either like or don't.

• Members

Clean boosts, in my opinion, are simply the best overdrives for really good tube amps. Amps that are meant to be pushed thrive on a really high Db slam to the preamp.

I would never use one on a fender twin, but on a marshall, vox, or even a deluxe reverb, they would sound quite awesome.

They sound awesome because they are super-transparent. They won't change the way your tubes sound. Just give you more of what you like about it allready.

I have been eyeing the RC Booster lately, too.

• Members

I have the nice problem of wondering if I should use my SPP as a line driver or boost, because it works perfectly well as both.

I've suggested to nick at catalinbread to make a double SPP, with one circuit for boost, and one for driving the line. No reply though:(

• Members

Originally posted by Fast Frets

How does it compare to the Xotic boosts, that is the AC and BB boosts?

In my opinion, neither of those are really boosts. The AC is an overdrive and the BB will get into distortion territory. The RC is much cleaner and much more nuetral than either of the others.

Archived