Way OT: Joe Torre must go

Chriss

• Members

Yes, I know, the Yankees are currently alone in first place. But for only the third day this entire season.

The reason they haven't aready wrapped this thing up three weeks ago is due to Joe Torre's pitching philosophy, which pretty much boils down to this:

1. If a pitcher is going great, take him out if his pitch count gets a little bit up there, and put the game into the hands of the horrendously pathetic middle relievers.

2. If one of your overpaid, old, broken down pitching "stars" is getting the piss knocked out of him, leave him in until he gives up six or seven runs.

Joe must go.

:):(:p

• Members

I feel badly for your mom, but deep dpwn in her heart of hearts, she's gotta know it's true. Joe Torre has shot his wad. Although she probably wouldn't express it using those exact words. And hey, who doesn't love Paul Revere and the Raiders?

• Members

Originally posted by Bbreaker

Three words that don't go together in the English language........................Objective Yankee Fan.

We are fated to be ...Champions. We are the Chosen Ones. Thou shalt not bear false idols against the Yankees. We will bury you.

Don't you hate it how sports fans always refer to their team as "we"? ;)

• Members

Originally posted by Chriss

We are fated to be ...Champions. We are the Chosen Ones. Thou shalt not bear false idols against the Yankees. We will bury you.

Don't you hate it how sports fans always refer to their team as "we"?
;)

Yeah, I'm sure "we" were a Yankee fan during the Horace Clark years.

• Members

Originally posted by Bbreaker

Yeah, I'm sure "we" were a Yankee fan during the Horace Clark years.

"We've" been a steadfast Yankee fan for a loooong time. The first Yankee game I attended, the lineup looked like this: The outfield was Mantle, Maris and Tom Tresh; the infield was Clete Boyer, Tony Kubek, Bobby Richardson and Joe Pepitone; the battery consisted of Ralph Terry on the mound and Elston Howard behind the plate. And, yes, I patiently suffered through both the Horace Clark AND the Don Mattingly years!

• Members

Originally posted by chrisjnyc

Who can the Yankees get that is better than Torre? They need to get better pitching

where%20did%20they%20come%20from.jpg

Lou Pinella just announced a buyout of the last year remaining on his contract with the D-Rays.. Meet your new Yankees manager:( Man,, I hate to see Lou go:(:(

• Members

Originally posted by Axeslinger

Lou Pimella just announced a buyout of the last year remaining on his contract with the D-Rays.. Meet your new Yankees manager:( Man,, I hate to see Lou go:(
:(

Yea, I am sure the Yankees are banging on Pimella's door ;) The D- Rays are the 2nd worst team in baseball... (George to Lou) "Can you do what you did with Devil Rays to the Yankees?" ie: lose 89 games in a season

• Members

Originally posted by chrisjnyc

Yea, I am sure the Yankees are banging on Pimella's door
;)
The D- Rays are the 2nd worst team in baseball... (George to Lou) "Can you do what you did with Devil Rays to the Yankees?" ie: lose 89 games in a season

Indeed. Steinbrenner has been jonesing for Piniella for a long time. You have to factor into the equation the relative team salaries... $25 million for the Rays, $200 million for the Yanks. I think Lou would put a fire under their $200 million asses! ;)

• Members

Man, whoever thinks Joe Torre must go is on drugs. The fact that the Yankees are in first place right now, considering that every one of his starting pitchers except Randy Johnson has spent a considerable amount of time on the DL, is a testament to the man's greatness. How many other managers in baseball could have done as well with most of their starting rotation sitting on the bench?

And how many other current managers have six AL Pennants and four World Series rings?

Yeah, the middle relievers have been terrible, but is that Joe's fault? Considering how badly they've pitched, the Yankees have done a great job for the past two weeks, winning 10 of their last 11 in a tight Pennant race.

Patience, Jedi. Torre is a master -- appreciate him while you still can.

• Members

Originally posted by Chriss

Indeed. Steinbrenner has been jonesing for Piniella for a long time. You have to factor into the equation the relative team salaries... $25 million for the Rays, $200 million for the Yanks. I think Lou would put a fire under their $200 million asses!
;)

Yeah, Lou would light a fire, but he's not nearly as adept at handling the media and pressure as Torre is. It would be a return to the Bronx Zoo.

Remember when Piniella's 2000 Mariners won 116 games and were the heavy favorite to win it all? What happened to them? They were handily defeated in five games to Torre's Yanks in the ALCS (who then went on to win the World Series).

• Members

Originally posted by Mr. Twang

Yeah, Lou would light a fire, but he's not nearly as adept at handling the media and pressure as Torre is. It would be a return to the Bronx Zoo.

Remember when Piniella's 2000 Mariners won 116 games and were the heavy favorite to win it all? What happened to them? They were handily defeated in five games to Torre's Yanks in the ALCS (who then went on to win the World Series).

I loved it when the Yankees were the Bronx Zoo!

• Members

Man, whoever thinks Joe Torre must go is on drugs. The fact that the Yankees are in first place right now, considering that every one of his starting pitchers except Randy Johnson has spent a considerable amount of time on the DL, is a testament to the man's greatness. How many other managers in baseball could have done as well with most of their starting rotation sitting on the bench?

And how many other current managers have six AL Pennants and four World Series rings?

Yeah, the middle relievers have been terrible, but is that Joe's fault? Considering how badly they've pitched, the Yankees have done a great job for the past two weeks, winning 10 of their last 11 in a tight Pennant race.

Patience, Jedi. Torre is a master -- appreciate him while you still can.

Yes, the middle relievers suck But why take out a pitcher who is cruising along smoothly and hand over the game to those relievers? I can't even count the number of times Joe has taken out a pitcher who is doing well, only to see the bullpen collapse (Mo Rivera excepted). Thank God the hitters are tearing it up. I'm tired of seeing a 12-0 lead turn into a 12-11 nailbiter night after night. Joe was great, but his time is past.

• Members

I am a Red Sox fan, and I must admit a certain grudging respect for Joe Torre.

He lost 80% of his starting rotation and his team is in first place. You have proven a point that I have thought all along: yankees fans are morons.

You wouldn't have had the success of the last 10 years without Joe Torre. Quit crying about the Yankess, you should be crying about the Giants.

• Members

Man, whoever thinks Joe Torre must go is on drugs.

Oh, you know how it is. Yankees fans eat their own young. It's tradition.

And it's the same for all New York teams. Ask Patrick Ewing.

Like I said before, NYC is welcome to get rid of Torre, because we could use him in Baltimore something fierce.

• Members

Originally posted by DennisD

I am a Red Sox fan, and I must admit a certain grudging respect for Joe Torre.

He lost 80% of his starting rotation and his team is in first place. You have proven a point that I have thought all along: yankees fans are morons.

You wouldn't have had the success of the last 10 years without Joe Torre. Quit crying about the Yankess, you should be crying about the Giants.

Most Yankees fans are pretty knowledgeable about baseball, in my opinion, but they're also mostly spoiled crybabies who bitch and moan as soon as their team loses two in a row. Unfortunately, the press feeds this nonsense too. NY sports media is awful, always fanning the flames of any small setback until it's catastrophic headline news. Most NYY fans buy into all of it too, thus confounding the issue.

My wife and I have been NYY season ticket holders for several years now, and the fans that I always see there night after night are knowledgeable, insightful, and respectful of the game and their team, while it's the dudes who are there for the first time this season who do stupid {censored} like boo Jeter because he went 0 for 4 on the night.

Plus the Yankees have had unprecedented success in the team's history. Compound that with an extraordinarily high team payroll and it's tough to not have high expectations. I'm not saying it justifies this sort of idiotic behavior, but it sort of explains why people starting calling for the manager's head as soon as they lose two of three. Unfortunately, this sort of irrational behavior is also embodied in the team's owner.

Archived