Question about Korg MOSS exp. board

Karma1

• Members

Thanks for clarification Jerry. Seems like a lot of stuff comes from Stamford...

Just to be clarify something else, there are all kinds of rumours over the years that the reason why Korg hasn't released is a Z2 or virtual Z1 is because they don't have the original code and the original developer is now dead... is this true or is this just (as I suspect) pure rubbish...

Just to add, if I could get the Z1 Soprano Sax into the VL7 I'd be a happy man indeed ;)

Originally posted by Jerrythek

It's not easy comparing MOSS and VL technology, since they are not developed "off of" each other per se. Korg R&D had been doing DSP synthesis desing and physical modeling for many years off research done at Stamford University by Julius Smith (amongst others) on Waveguide Synthesis.

http://www.sondiusxg.com/index.html

At some point Yamaha came in and bought up the patents and between Stamford and Yamaha they created the Sondius group to license these technologies. So at that point any company that had been doing their own work based on the Waveguide research now had to pay a license to continue doing what they were doing... So there has not been any sharing of, or co-development, or even development back and forth between our companies based on this research. We just joined the group so we could continue on our merry way, doing our own work.

So the real "wellspring" was Dr. Smith and Stamford. We all took our own separate paths from there.

Regards,

Jerry

Korg Guy

• Members

Originally posted by orangefunk

Thanks for clarification Jerry. Seems like a lot of stuff comes from Stamford...

Just to be clarify something else, there are all kinds of rumours over the years that the reason why Korg hasn't released is a Z2 or virtual Z1 is because they don't have the original code and the original developer is now dead... is this true or is this just (as I suspect) pure rubbish...

Just to add, if I could get the Z1 Soprano Sax into the VL7 I'd be a happy man indeed
;)

Actually it is based on some truth. The engineer/designer of the Z1 (and Prophecy and i3 before that) did pass away within a year of the release of the Z1. His code was not "clean" and it has been difficult for us to deal with it. He was a close friend of mine and it was a shock to learn, and to realize that during much of the project he was not doing well, but hid it.

Anyway - we were able to make the MOSS-TRI and EXB-MOSS options so we could do some things with the code, but it did present a hurdle.

And ss usual, the most popular synths amongst the cognescenti and also based on years-later-resale purchases were not always good sellers. And the Z1 was a pretty niche model. So the long-standing desire of a number of you here (Yes, I could call you out by name at this point!) to have a Z2, or Z3 etc. is well-noted, but I can't promise we will go there or not.

Regards,

Jerry

• Members

There's no question you should get the moss board. I would also install it into the Triton as the programming interface is superior to the Karma.

The moss can make incredible sounds. Of particular awesomeness is it's string and rhythmic /padsounds. It's the only hardware synth that is like Absynth, more in the lines of a "synth of the future".

• Members

Korg R&D had been doing DSP synthesis design and physical modeling for many years off research done at Stamford University by Julius Smith (amongst others) on Waveguide Synthesis.

Jerry,

You have lived on the East Coast too long. :)

I believe you mean Stanford University (in California).

http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/

• Members

.................. So the long-standing desire of a number of you here (Yes, I could call you out by name at this point!) to have a Z2, or Z3 etc. is well-noted, but I can't promise we will go there or not.

Regards,

Jerry

That's really too bad, but understandable from a business standpoint, I suppose.

I'm one of those hoping to see the Z1 concept picked up and taken further, but it really is a pretty small market I think.

Someone proposed doing up a Z1 in software. Korg has been releasing some soft stuff that's doing pretty well.

How about putting in a suggestion for it?

Maybe if we started a petition here, as a show of interest/support?

• Members

Originally posted by Awake77

Thanks for the input, Jerry. I, for one, definitely hope that Korg decides on another Z model in the future. Im a computer programmer, I'd be happy to help you wade through some of that code!!
:idea::cool:

I too am a computer programmer (although I'm more into the research behind languages and model driven software to be honest) but I'd imagine the Z1 code would be pretty deep DSP in ASM or C... yikes!! That kind of code if not refactored and documented would be astonishingly difficult to understand I think..

• Members

LOL Martin, it's actually just my incredibly bad 4-fingered typing. Correction noted.

:-)

regards,

Jerry

Y'know I actually thought it was Stanford myself... but saw your spelling and thought I must have been wrong... so went along with your spelling in my answer... how odd is that!

• Members

Thanks for your answer Jerry. There is much food for thought in there. Sorry to hear of the loss... I spend hours in my research lab until the morning with other coders and understand the special relationships we build up..

Yes, it would be wonderful to see the Z1 concept taken further... I second mildbills suggestion of the Legacy style product...

Actually it is based on some truth. The engineer/designer of the Z1 (and Prophecy and i3 before that) did pass away within a year of the release of the Z1. His code was not "clean" and it has been difficult for us to deal with it. He was a close friend of mine and it was a shock to learn, and to realize that during much of the project he was not doing well, but hid it.

Anyway - we were able to make the MOSS-TRI and EXB-MOSS options so we could do some things with the code, but it did present a hurdle.

And ss usual, the most popular synths amongst the cognescenti and also based on years-later-resale purchases were not always good sellers. And the Z1 was a pretty niche model. So the long-standing desire of a number of you here (Yes, I could call you out by name at this point!) to have a Z2, or Z3 etc. is well-noted, but I can't promise we will go there or not.

Regards,

Jerry

• Members

Originally posted by orangefunk

Yes, it would be wonderful to see the Z1 concept taken further... I second mildbills suggestion of the Legacy style product...

I third that suggestion, although i asked the same question some time back. If i remember rightly, Jerry said he'd acknowledge the suggestion. But i can see his point, although the Z1 is a very special board, and has a kinda cult status between a few of us here (and other forums), it wasnt a major success for Korg at the time, so i can understand them being apprehensive about taking the project further. Thanks Jerry for listening though. Its always major cool to be able to communicate with a synthesizer company rep :cool:

Archived