So I find myself wah-less...

mabus013

• Members

My old 72 Vox Thomas Organ wah (Sepulveda-era) got stolen recently, and I'm going to have to replace it. I'm looking to spend about a hundred, hopefully less. If you're familiar with the TO wahs, mine was a red TDK inductor, and I happened to really like the way this pedal sounded. I'm looking for recommendations for replacement, and I could care less about supposed pedigree and no ridiculously priced booteek bs please. Something solid and good sounding, could be non traditional or traditional, I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks.

• Members

Originally posted by FLYING V 83

Crybaby Classic. True bypass, Fasel inductor, $99.

Saw that one, I might have to make a trip to GC to try it out and see how I like it. The previous gen (90s) Crybabies left a lot to ask for in terms of tone, but this one could work out nicely.

Keep 'm coming. Anyone tried the Weeping Demon or Killer Wail?

• Members

someone was selling a Fulltone Clyde for $75 (this is a great deal on a great wah) which is what is on my board right now. you may want to look up that thread.
I have two wah's I'm selling
a teese RMC $135 (I know you said no boo teek, but It's a great wah) and a VOX V847, make me an offer.

wahs.jpg

• Members

I recently went wah shopping and came away with a Morely Pro Series II [voume/wah/distortion] after trying VOX, Crybaby, etc. The wah is much more transparent than the others and it uses an optical system not a pot [that wears out and gets scratchy]. I works great with guitar or bass [something that was top of my list]. The distortion isn't great as distortion, but with the gain set around 50% it does a pretty good tube screamer impersonation for adding some grit to the signal before you run it through a real dirt box. I believe they're around $100.

• Members

Help me understand how you can post a message yesterday about living out of your car, eating PB sandwiches, getting ripped off and {censored}...and today you're talking about buying a new wah??

I understand dedication to music and the passion we all have for our guitars and gear, but it sounds to me like you need to get your priorities straight, man!

But hey.... if priorities aren't a priority, then I will recommend the Weeping Demon wah from Ibanez. Cheaper and better sounding than a 535Q and just as tweakable. Got mine for $95.

• Members

I got rid of a higher-end wah and just went with the CryBaby Classic (which has already been mentioned) and I've been happy as a clam. I just don't have the ears to be that finicky and picky when it comes to using a wah at gig volumes....it's the only effect that I'm that way about. I know that's weird. No offense to the users of higher-end wahs (I respect your ears, believe me), but for the rock and roll stuff I play I couldn't tell that big of a difference and "down-graded" on purpose.

• Members
Originally posted by Jammer48

Help me understand how you can post a message yesterday about living out of your car, eating PB sandwiches, getting ripped off and {censored}...and today you're talking about buying a new wah??

I understand dedication to music and the passion we all have for our guitars and gear, but it sounds to me like you need to get your priorities straight, man!

But hey.... if priorities aren't a priority, then I will recommend the Weeping Demon wah from Ibanez. Cheaper and better sounding than a 535Q and just as tweakable. Got mine for $95.

Dude, I'm shopping. I'm actually pretty sure that the band I was hooked up with decided to go with someone else, so new gear ain't much of a priority. However, I do like to research before I buy (which may be months from now, may be next paycheck if I'm actually working with someone and need the damn thing) and since I have time to kill during the day, guess what? May as well research!

As for the Weeping Demon...that pedal surprised the hell out of me, actually. I wasn't expecting much, but I tried one yesterday at a local shop with an Ibanez Artist (closest thing to my Melody Maker in the shop) and a Cyber Twin set to a modern Marshall sound. Quite a bit different than the Dunlop JH wah (tried it because supposedly it's the 'original thomas design'; good wah, but read on), and far, far more versatile. I like that you have a choice between spring-operated and normal set-and-forget modes, and the range is stunning. I was actually contemplating getting a modFX Philtre processor somewhere down the line, but this thing actually can do some really awesome filtering, and the separate footswitch makes it easy to use as just a filter for a lot more possibilities than a traditional wah. Makes some great fuzzy synth-like tones, too, and while I'm going to keep researching, this looks to be the one.

I hear you too, OldRushFan, but I dunno - if I can resist it, this thing could be set and forget, just with the option of either the springloaded/autoswitch mode or the more traditional manual switch/no spring mode. I don't know of another pedal that offers such an option, but I do miss my Vox already, all the same...however, while the tone of that wah was nice, vintage, and warm, it didn't cut through as much as I would have liked, had a little volume/gain drop when engaged, and a few other things that just made it a traditional wah. I don't know...I think I might have to open up the Temple of the Weeping Demon :D.

• Members

Dude,
i traded a crybaby from that period to DJM in Vernon CT like two weeks ago...
if it's still there when i call tomorrow, i'll let you know...
figure around 60-70 bux.
red inductor, sepulveda, whole 9.
REALLY nice wah, but my bro Mark wanted one of my Puke Wahs so he traded it in for a GCB-95.
I TRIED to talk him out of it...a real nice sounding wah.

• Members

It's cool, man. Actually, Master Capello is sending me a wah as soon as I can get him shipping, and it's really, really nice of him. Pennies from heaven, as they say.

I was just wondering if anyone here uses a Snarling Dogs wah. Those always at least looked cool, but I can't recall ever hearing of someone getting one and sticking with it. I tried them when I worked at GC way back when, and they seemed cool. May as well keep the discussion going, no? Someone else may be looking for the best cheap-but-good wah they can get.

Thanks, Jimi, and thanks again, Master Capello.

• Members

no prob bro.
now....for cheap wahs....
i like the old univoxes, but i think my favorite has gotta be the old silver huge morley power wah boosts...
at least for rocknroll...that and a marshall can get ya a lot of milage.
Uniwahs sound real sweet, but are mellower than any crybaby....and ya gotta stomp the heel to turn them off.
one of my secret weapons is them cheap ass dano min french frys auto wahs....
turn your guitar down a little, and you can get a phat ass cheeky wahtone out of them that is
REAL responsive to your attack....i used mine live many times when my arthritis wouldn't let me do my crybaby.
most folks never even noticed...
there's a cli[ of Smokin Herb doing Too Rollin Stoned on my website, that's the dan-o..

you can laff at my clams, lol....the second solo was my rythym man...need time to smoke a cigarette once in a while...LOL;)

Too Stolling Roned

Archived