got an amazing SRV tone with...

Speeddemon

• Members

Fender Strat '68 RI CIJ with U.S. Texas Specials, into:

Ibanez CP9 (with a input cap enlargement)

Ibanez TS9 RI (with a {censored}load of mods on it, bass + toggleswitch, more/less drive, cleaner bass, etc. etc.)

H&K Tubefactor

Boss GE-7 (as lead boost)

Line 6 Echo Park (set to a pseudo-verb sound)

into:

Roland GC405 25W practice amp.

Man, this sounded SRV, it's unbelievable.

The trick was: TS9 set to NO drive, level 12 'o clock, tone FULL clock wise)

the CP9 added some high/mids.

Tubefactor only Factor 1, Drive and Level 12 'o clock, Voicing 2 'o clock.

And the Roland set to Bass 7, Mid 4, Treble 9, Presence 9.

This made it all sparkly, jangly, like his Texas Flood tone.

• Members

The closest I ever got to a SRV tone was by accident, since these days I don't try to copy sounds (although that will change after listening to Peter Green for the last few days :D )

I plugged a Melancon Pro Artist with Rio Grande Half Breeds, Alder body, and Rosewood fingerboard into a zenTera (I think I used a Tweed 4X10 amp). WOW!!!

I know that SRV mixed a lot of amps together and played them VERY loud, so I was really surprised when I got those tones (or very close) by accident. The Pro Artist sounded amazing.

A pedal that also has the SRV vibe is the MJM Blues Devil.

• Members

Originally posted by papamaverick

If you can really cop the SRV tone with this, I gotta have a clip for proof. Any chance?

Congrats on getting a sound you dig, though.

Recording clips is very limited for me.

a) I can't mic the amp, because it would have to be too loud (neighbours would complain)

b) I can use the direct (speaker voiced) output of the amp, but then it's not as realistic.

My main amp is an Engl Savage 60, with an Engl 2x12" V30 cab. But I always practice through that Roland combo (4 x 5" speakers). I know it back and forth. And I always get my overdrive/distortion from my Tubefactor (+ boost/comp), the Roland is set really clean.

• Members

Originally posted by fernmeister

if i ever got an SRV tone I would unplug everything, rest all controls to zero and not play for a month.

I don't hate his style or tone, but I don't worship it like others do.

When I play blues with MY sound, it's more of a mix between Peter Green, Matt Guitar Murphy and Gary Moore.

It was just fun to cop a legendary tone with a rather unconventional set-up.

Same by the way, by running a comp into a DOD Metal Maniac, set to light overdrive... YES! I managed quite a convincing blues/SRV tone from a Metal Maniac. I did have to back down my guitar's volume a lot, but it's still very funny and cool nonetheless.

• 3 years later...
  • Members

I got SRV tone with this rig; Guitar:A 2008 Fender Deluxe Strat

Amp:'59 Fender Bassman LTD

Pedals: Boss Compressor, Boss Equalizer, Boss Blues Driver, Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9, Boss Delay, Boss RV-5 Reverb.

Amp Settings: Presence 6, Middle 7, Bass 7 or 8, Treble 7

Main Pedal Settings: Compressor 12 o'clock (everything), Tube Screamer level at 10 o'clock and drive at 2 o'clock, Blues Driver level at 12 o'clock and

Gain at 10 o'clock, Reverb, Spring setting at set the time at 9 o'clock keep everything else at 12 o'clock. Set the Equalizer until you get enough highs to compensate for the lows given by the compressor.

• Members

haha, SRV's tone was pretty simple.

It shouldnt be that hard to get.

Any strat - TS - Good clean/dirty amp will get you close.

"my tone" is an FD2 (TS copy, but pretty different in its own way), then an OCD for a boost for leads.

Thats my sound, it sounds like SRV, but its not really what i'm going for.

• Members

ahem....

klon

(someone had to say it) :facepalm:

• Members

Recording clips is very limited for me.

a) I can't mic the amp, because it would have to be too loud (neighbours would complain)

b) I can use the direct (speaker voiced) output of the amp, but then it's not as realistic.

My main amp is an Engl Savage 60, with an Engl 2x12" V30 cab. But I always practice through that Roland combo (4 x 5" speakers). I know it back and forth. And I always get my overdrive/distortion from my Tubefactor (+ boost/comp), the Roland is set really clean.

Buy a mic pre-amp...

Then you can get a reasonable recording level, without cranking.

A cheap mixer would suffice. :idea:

Archived