Which is cooler, vintage amps or vintage guitars?

jcn37203

• Members

It's hard to say.

On one hand, vintage amps are mojo as hell, but the modern counterparts are a lot more reliable.

Vintage guitars are also sweet, but a lot of the guys who were actually buying guitars in the 60's and 70's will tell you that a lot of the "must have" vintage stuff today was despised when it was new.

• Members

What CS said.

A guy I know used to say about gear that if you are spending money on good gear, then its going to be good even if its 50 years old or brand new. Quality is quality. There are bad guitars and amps from every different era. This guy played a 78 les paul deluxe through a PA head and a marshall cab and had tone to kill for.

• Members

My dad tells me stories about how in the mid-60's, guys were ditching their tube amps in favor of the new solid-state stuff. This is also when he tells me about the '62 Jazzmaster and early 60s blond Bassman piggyback rig he sold before he went to Vietnam.

:mad::(

All that said, I think vintage amps are cooler.

• Members

I love vintage guitars, the 60s Fenders have a feel that is great. But when you look at some of the modern Fenders and Gibsons they are made as well as back then, using very similar techniques.

The same can not be said for most amps. They are PCB with a lot of other modifications so that they will appeal to the new buyer. The old amps just are cooler and more fun.

So I go with amps because they are up on stage even between sets.

• Members

I've actually found the opposite of what jcn37203 has found.

i've never found a more reliable amp than the Super Reverb I use, & I've been playing guitar for 18 years!

the thing about vintage amps is that the designs are proven,unlike new amp designs,which may or may not stand the test of time.

• Members

Originally posted by jcn37203

It's hard to say.

On one hand, vintage amps are mojo as hell, but the modern counterparts are a lot more reliable.

Vintage guitars are also sweet, but a lot of the guys who were actually buying guitars in the 60's and 70's will tell you that a lot of the "must have" vintage stuff today was despised when it was new.

since basically every part that was ever constructed for vintage electrics are still available, but many aren't for vintage amps, i'd have to go with amps.

there's some unrecoverable mojo in there.

IMO - modern construction of guitars have become better and more refined, but modern amps (aside from a select few) just aren't what they could, and used to be.

the bright side to this, of course, is that a nice vintage mojo with great craftsmanship on a guitar is a bit more obtainable these days, more than a truly great amp.

Hamer and G&L being two immediate examples that come to mind.

• Members

Originally posted by Saucy Jack

For me, it's amps. I have a mid 60's Danelectro cadet, a Kay model 703 from the 60's, and a mid 70's Fender Musicmaster Bass amp. The Kay and the Danelectro I got off of ebay for under $70 each.

I just got a Musicmaster and it came with a blown speaker. Are you running the stock speaker? If not, what did you change it with?

• Members

synths :0

opps wrong site

anyway id go with amps, ,,just for recoding situations ,,Id never use a classic live ...Of course if it buzzed alot i probably wouldnt record with it either,in that case Id go with the guitar..........

• Members

Originally posted by jcn37203

I think I would have to disagree with the point that modern counterparts being more reliable, though I'd probably go for a good vintage amp over a guitar not that a vintage guitar wouldn't kick ass.

• Members

Originally posted by Hopeless Romantic

I just got a Musicmaster and it came with a blown speaker. Are you running the stock speaker? If not, what did you change it with?

I still have the stock speaker in it. I love the sound of that amp turned up all the way with an Electro Harmonix LPB-1 in front of it.

Archived