Playing in a store

exploradorable

• Members

After working in a music store I've come to the conclusion that playing in a store is useless and stupid. You can't deduct anything much from the sound unless maybe the store is deserted and silent. People come in an play their best show-off bits like its an audition or something, with no intention of buying anything. It gets old very fast.

• Members

Originally posted by exploradorable

After working in a music store I've come to the conclusion that playing in a store is useless and stupid. You can't deduct anything much from the sound unless maybe the store is deserted and silent. People come in an play their best show-off bits like its an audition or something, with no intention of buying anything. It gets old very fast.

Behold, the reason I don't go into music stores much anymore!

• Members

I've never had stage fright in my life, no matter how large the audience. Small, intimate clubs where there are only five people all staring at me; big auditoriums with countless faces; studios with an engineer staring at me; all fine. But in music stores, I freeze up and can't think of a thing to play when I want to try something out. For whatever reason, I feel really on the spot and afraid of either looking talentless or like a show-off; so I end up not getting a good feel for whatever item it is that I'm testing.

• Members

i like trying out gear in stores, compare and buy it were i can get it cheaper. off course you cannot get a complete picture of the gear you are trying. you are also playing different guitars/amps than at home. but you get the idea.
i like to play some simple chords and single notes while i pretend to be listening very concentrating. :D

• Members

I don't play at stores, except for guitars that I am going to buy. Amps, effects, etc - you cannot tell how it will sound with your gear and you already have an idea of the product before you walk in.

Guitars make sense to play since craft is everybit as important as the science/technology. Too identical guitars next to each other rarely are the same.

• Members

Originally posted by palthegiraffe

I've never had stage fright in my life, no matter how large the audience. Small, intimate clubs where there are only five people all staring at me; big auditoriums with countless faces; studios with an engineer staring at me; all fine. But in music stores, I freeze up and can't think of a thing to play when I want to try something out. For whatever reason, I feel really on the spot and afraid of either looking talentless or like a show-off; so I end up not getting a good feel for whatever item it is that I'm testing.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I've been gigging for over 18 years and I HATE playing in a music store. Although, unlike you, I've rarely been in danger of looking like a show off. I come off like the talentless hack.

• Members

Back when my local Sam Ash had a DSL fullstack set-up I would go in find a very expensive guitar and turn that sucker up to about 4 and play the worst rendition of Cliffs of Dover, while still being able to tell it is Cliffs of Dover. I was not well liked, but man was it funny.

• Members

There's two type of shop scenario's

GC Syndrome-where everybody is playing widdle widdle without listening to everyone else. When I was there one kid was playing 'Sunshine of your love' so when he switched to lead, I just happened to be playing an SG through a Marshall, so it was rude not to play rhythm for him. It's really difficult to make any judgement in an environment like that. To make things worse I wanted a new snare drum for my studio and I dont play drums that well. There was this guy on a kit so I went up to him and asked me if he could use this snare I wanted. He looked at me funny, obliged and then I had a very short go to get a feel of it. We got chatting, everything was cool.

Then there's the

Bitter and twisted sales weasel Syndrome-where they are stuck on minimum wage because they didnt make it as a musician and it's too late to get a decent paid job. They are bitter at you cos they cannot afford the stuff you are buying. I have a rule that if you try something out and the guy plugs in and plays a load of superfast licks before handing you the guitar, if I like it I will buy it elsewhere. I even went to try a bass amp with my bass and the guitar dude unzips my gig bag and starts playing. I didnt mind as it was an unlined fretless :) I bought a different amp from a different shop.

What I do

If I'm just trying out stuff (currently looking for an amp) I'll have a quick bash and if I like it, I'll have a proper go. What I do then is ring the shop, tell them when I going there (hopefully in non peak hours) and take my gear. I'll announce myself at the shop, they'll take me to the amp and I'll have a go. WHen I bought my LP I tried a couple on a Friday and then arranged to go back first thing Sat morning (9.30) and tried all six of their stock of classics. I was out of the shop with a LP case in hand before anyone else came in.

I also try to shop in as few as places as possible. At Coda most of them know me by name and sometimes have asked me to try stuff as they know what I like. I always try to get the persons name.

I think that part of the problem especially in Denmark Street is that people want to try vintage or boutique gear with no intention of ever buying it. In vintage and rare I'll always tell them that the main reason is to sit on the leather couch for a rest and they are quite cool about it.

• Members

Originally posted by blaghaus

I never play anything other than chords up and down the neck, bend the strings, listen to the sustain, play a few little runs, and thats it. {censored} playing actual songs in a music store.

Same thing here. Add to that turn all the knobs to look for scratchy pots.

You're not going to get a sense of what a pedal sounds like with your gear by playing it through the shop's demo guitar and amp. And it's just not worth bringing your own gear for a pedal.

I just try a few basic riffs to see how it sounds under varying conditions and that's it. I'll admit I'm a hack guitar player, no need to advertise it.

• Members

I hate trying to test out pedals at Guitar Center. I've been to two of them that do this. They let you try out pedals that range from $100-$300 on an amp that doesn't even cost $300. How much sense does that make. I went in recently to try out a BOSS DD-20 which they were selling for $230 (overpriced - I eventually bought it through Musician's Friend) and the amp is this little $50 practice amp thing that they sell in those starter kits. Like how much can I determine playing it through this toy of an amp. Unfortunately everythings clamped down and you can't really move anything. Frustrating.
Ok rant off :)

• Members

Originally posted by blaghaus

I never play anything other than chords up and down the neck, bend the strings, listen to the sustain, play a few little runs, and thats it. {censored} playing actual songs in a music store.

+1 although sometimes I pluck SOTW just to get a laugh/sigh from the salesman, depending on his sense of humor.

I also try to go during the off peak hours so I can hear the results of my noodling tests on the guitar, although in LA its almost always crowded and noisy.

• Members
Originally posted by whpprsnpprr

I hate trying to test out pedals at Guitar Center. I've been to two of them that do this. They let you try out pedals that range from $100-$300 on an amp that doesn't even cost $300. How much sense does that make. I went in recently to try out a BOSS DD-20 which they were selling for $230 (overpriced - I eventually bought it through Musician's Friend) and the amp is this little $50 practice amp thing that they sell in those starter kits. Like how much can I determine playing it through this toy of an amp. Unfortunately everythings clamped down and you can't really move anything. Frustrating.

Ok rant off
:)

GC Hollywood has/had a Roland JC-120 attached to all the BOSS pedals . . . its actually a very cool setup, but its probably something a Roland rep setup.

• Members

My favorites are the guys that sit there and play Metallica riffs and solos note for note.

I always just go in and play a few simple riffs and bends to get a feel as well, there's not much point in showing off to the afformentioned disgruntled salesmen. I've also, on several occasions, been asked to turn the amp down in a store, which I find utterly worthless because why buy an amp if you can't test it out with its power tubes cooking. I always just roll my eyes and vacate immediately.

Archived