The Miko Fiasco

DallasPA

• Members

Personally, while it wouldn't stop me from ordering a MIKO, I don't fully believe the CEOs response or agree with their handling of the situation.

Yes, CEOs will spin 'till the floor drops out and vomit sprays all over the walls. Enron anyone? ... that's just part of their job (to protect the bottom line ) ...

In this day and age of lightning fast communication, however, synth companies -- or ANY organization with an agenda -- need to understand that delays require to be explained quickly and honestly ... that's just good PR ... anything less smells of a cover-up or more serious problems ...

"I chose to keep the company focused on the work at hand so that we could produce the MiKo as quickly as possible ... for everyone," Open Labs CEO Victor Wong wrties.

Fine. But a simple post on their website or even here would have cleared most of this up.

And it would be easy enough to argue Open Labs should have personally contacted everyone anyway.

Minus points for being disengenuous. :(

(Disingenuous: lacking in candor; also : giving a false appearance of simple frankness)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is my first time reading this thread... what a pathetic story! Open Labs sure picked a strange person to single out for cozying up to in lieu of legitimate customers who placed real orders, which brings everything about them, their company, and their products into question. Thanks to to guys who suffered through this nonsense for bringing it to our attention.

• Members

Originally posted by DallasPA

Hmmm,

I'm not sure but when they took my order they only took the last 4 numbers of my credit card. They stated they would get the entire card number just prior to shipping.

Dallas

I ordered online and at that time I filled in the card form as in any other store. Shipping date was eminent....

• Members

Originally posted by OpenLabs CEO

In regards to us shipping one to Mind_Pop before others. I take full responsibility for that. I put him in front because he told me he put himself in a bad position by telling everyone that he was going to use one at Defcon on August 8.

You may say that it's his own fault, but when ANY of our customers ask me for help...I will always do my best to help them...even if it seems that they created the problem themselves.

One thing is for sure, you guys are right, Mind_Pop is not Prince...he may even be in your eyes insignificant, but to us...he is a beloved member of the Open Labs family and I stand by my decision to help him as I would any of you if you asked me.

And by the way...Mind_Pop got his before Morris and Prince got theirs. This is what it means to be part of the Open Labs family. I hope you guys can understand why I did what I did and know that we are here for you guys...you just have to ask and understand why we do what we do.

I wonder if Prince and Morris got an email about this? :D

By the way, Mr Openlabs CEO:

I told my mom that I was Keith Emerson with a Miko. It's her birthday next week. Please send me Prince's Miko so I can play Funkytown for her. Prince won't mind, since he isn't a "beloved member of the OpenLabs family".

• Members

Prince and Morris,

Thats superfulous rhetoric because its all over this and the open labs forum that both Prince and Morris have had demo units since January. In fact Prince has more then one demo unit.

After that piece of crap about mind_poop getting his miko before prince and morris, thats when my floors began to spin and the Kalidascope appeared!!!!!!!

So, if I had a demo unit for the last 6 months we wouldnt be having this discourse.

Mind_poop is a 35 year old liar, who shamelessly plugs a supposed burgeoning music career as a solo artist ( for peats sake at 35!!!) that should have happened 10 years ago and didnt. Crys and bitches and moans about the promoters he supposedly promised an appearance with a miko to; and feeds this line to the CEO because he had previously purchased a neko. The CEO in turns protects the clown, because he has now purchased a neko and a meko, and proclaims him as part of the family. All the while this is justification to give me and countless other buyers the big OL weenie. Birds of a feather flock together!!!!

Its a shame that such a brilliant individual leads a company with such great products and does things like this that obviously calls his integerity into question.

Dallas

• Members

Originally posted by pix

well, apparently on July 20th open labs tried to charge my card for 2036$. So this means that they're indeed shipping.

Now what is really annoying is that they did this without at least sending an email asking if it was ok to charge the card. this 5 months after I placed my order.

Fortunately I'd used my paypal account card so they denied teh transfer since I didn't have much money there.

am I getting too picky or is this not a sensible thing for a seller to do?

All they needed was a "hey, we have the Miko ready to ship, can we go ahead and charge your card?"

they're losing clients with all this sloppiness.

Well I was planning on cancelling my order when they'd either call or email me for approval to charge my card, but after reading this post I got on the phone right away and made sure I spoke to a live rep and told her to take me off the list.

Can you guys believe she actually asked me why I was cancelling my order?:mad:

I should have directed her to this thread.

• Members

The Pro,

I actually checked, mindpop is mention but under the heading of DJ with 10 other people, for saturday at defcon from 10-12pm I believe. Here is the link

http://www.defcon.org/html/defcon-14/dc-14-schedule.html

With so many other DJ's/performers I would guess their getting 10 mins a piece. He made it seem like he had his own one man show.

This guy is a gasssss

Dallas

• Members

Originally posted by synthetica

After some careful thread reading and crafty google work, i did notice Mind_pop said he was a member of a group called Corruptdata for which a google search led to here

Though he did say he was 1 of 2 so not sure which 1 of the 2 he is.

http://www.garageband.com/artist/mindpop

• Members

Originally posted by Mind_PoP

It is not that I want to be alone..My last group Corruptdata had 2 members me and a friend. I would write a song and he would complain yet never write..He just booked shows. So I am alone because No one I know wants to put in the time to write and produce, just show up and look preety for shows.

Well ... which one of the two do you think would make that statement?

dc12cd3rj1.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by Mind_PoP

You guys are a trip..So simple to f Wit..It makes me happy. To mess about with you all..Have a great day..

hey mr. open labs CEO, see this? this is your poster boy trolling our forum. so nice to know that he is a "member of the open labs family"

• Members

Great,

This guy is a freakin DJ, that uses midi keyboards while he's spinning!!!!!

Now I've seen it all, the is the biggest pile of bologna - what a headache!!!!!!!!

Yep, those are the Open Labs Poster Childern!!!!!

Thier major label release should be in Tower Records any day now, lol.

Dallas

• Members

Allow me to chime in with a fresh perspective

I own a neKo 64 that I use in the studio and live performance

I developed a relationship with Open Labs B4 purchasing my unit

I live in Austin and have first hand knowledge to offer (as opposed to

• Members

god i love reading threads that are filled with mindless blind trolls who feebly attempt to bash other people...

go on with your fan fare, go on with your blind follower mentality... it truely is entertaining to me :)

• Members

Originally posted by CEM

I am not employed by Open Labs although I do endorse the product, have done some Beta Testing and did help out at the recent NAMM show here in Austin

Yeah, you sound really objective. :rolleyes: You work for them (if it's for free, that's your problem). You endorse, Beta test, and represent them at a trade show? That's plenty close for me.

Prog said:

Is this Mind_PoP soooooo famous that he must have the Miko before anyone else? Who the hell is he? Never heard of him.

I wonder if OpenLabs will be making exceptions for all of us nobody's that aren't so fabulously famous? Certainly not nearly as famous as that guy that I've never heard of.

So Victor was helping

• Members

I really like the idea of this Mimik software... I guess it sends MIDI data to your units and then samples the result, then you do the looping and editing to taste?

The MIKO sounds like a dream board to me... i have a laptop and controllers but it just doesn't gel for me... too many wires and lots of interference requiring more wires (DI boxes and so forth)

I just hope it gets released soon!

Originally posted by CEM

The first half is NI B4, second half is my Roland Digital Piano

• Members

Originally posted by orangefunk

I really like the idea of this Mimik software... I guess it sends MIDI data to your units and then samples the result, then you do the looping and editing to taste?

I assume the mimiK software is similar to these products:

-- Redmatica Autosampler

http://www.redmatica.com/Site/Pages/AM.php

-- Skylife Sample Robot

http://www.samplerobot.de/english/index_b.php

I asked a question over at the OpenLabs forum about whether the mimiK software was an OpenLabs creation or not, but never received a response. It very well may be a product based on a retail product (e.g. the Open Labs "Karsyn" VST plugin host software is a modified version of the retail Brainspawn "Forte" product).

These samplers are good for sampling static tones, but there are limits in terms of replicating keyboard synth workstation presets, i.e. you really can't throw out your keyboard synths.

Most synths have a large number of presets that have movement in them that can't be replicated by sampling alone. Many sounds have aspects that are synched to tempo, and of course you can't replicate an arpeggiator by sampling.

• Members

Originally posted by MartinHines

I assume the mimiK software is similar to these products:

-- Redmatica Autosampler

-- Sample Robot

I asked a question over at the OpenLabs forum about whether the mimiK software was an OpenLabs creation or not, but never received a response. It very well may be a product based on a retail product (e.g. the Open Labs "Karsyn" VST plugin host software is a modified version of the retail Brainspawn Forte product).

These samplers are good for sampling static tones, but there are limits in terms of replicating keyboard synth workstation presets, i.e. you really can't throw out your keyboard synths.

Most synths have a large number of presets that have movement in them that can't be replicated by sampling alone. Many sounds have aspects that are synched to tempo, and of course you can't replicate an arpeggiator by sampling.

openlabs is great at making their customer feel that they truly deserve their purchases, IE exactly what youve just said, they are repackaging existing technology as something new and exicting and the amoeba's love it... some people fall victim to propoganda some do not... what else can be said...

• Members

Yeah I totally agree... Patches with arpeggios obviously won't work either... but its still a neat idea even though its not even 50% of the orginal...

I even tried sampling a flute from the MOTIF into Reason's NN-XT and it didn't quite sound the same....

Originally posted by MartinHines

• Members

Originally posted by c3400

they are repackaging existing technology as something new and exicting and the amoeba's love it...

I am not sure I would be that critical. :)

Given Open Labs is a very small company I assume they are forced to look to external partners to help provide some of the components they need.

In the Karsyn/Forte plugin host software situation, they are running a customized version that (I assume) is better integrated with their hardware. The downside to this is there is always a time lag between when Brainspawn releases a new Forte update and when those updates make it into Karsyn (the customized version).

Another example are their audio interfaces:

-- the neKo (Gen 2) LX (the more expensive one) uses an M-Audio Delta 1010

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Delta1010-main.html

-- the miKo uses the PreSonus Firebox

http://www.presonus.com/firebox.html

It would be interesting to open one of the Open Labs products to see how they actually integrate these audio interfaces. They are either modified versions created by the manufacturer or they have some unique cabling done inside the Open Labs keyboards.

Open Labs makes me think about the Dell computer manufacturing model (probably since both companies are based in Austin, TX). Dell:

-- researches different components

-- designs a product and product variations

-- creates a small amount of software for the products

-- buys the components

-- assembles/builds the product

-- tests the product then ships it out

-- provides support

I assume the Open Labs products (neKo and miKo) could follow a similar manufacturing model, albeit on a lot smaller scale than Dell :)

Archived