The Miko Fiasco

DallasPA

• Members

Originally posted by c3400

openlabs is great at making their customer feel that they truly deserve their purchases, IE exactly what youve just said, they are repackaging existing technology as something new and exicting and the amoeba's love it... some people fall victim to propoganda some do not... what else can be said...

I feel that you are making wild comments that you think speak for the majority of people and I am certainly not of your view even though I've been playing, programming and purchasing synths since 1985. Try and respect people here and it will earn you more kudos than saying that everyone who is not of your opinion is an amoeba....

In fact I don't even know what people are getting angry about in this thread... some guy gets a pre-release MIKO and everyone goes ape that its not them....

Patience is indeed a virtue...

Why is there so much pointless anger on these forums recently??? Disappointing...

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by MartinHines

I am not sure I would be that critical.
:)

Given Open Labs is a very small company I assume they are forced to look to external partners to help provide some of the components they need.

In the Karsyn/Forte plugin host software situation, they are running a customized version that (I assume) is better integrated with their hardware. The downside to this is there is always a time lag between when Brainspawn releases a new Forte update and when those updates make it into Karsyn (the customized version).

Another example are their audio interfaces:

-- the neKo (Gen 2) LX (the more expensive one) uses an M-Audio Delta 1010

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Delta1010-main.html

-- the miKo uses the PreSonus Firebox

http://www.presonus.com/firebox.html

It would be interesting to open one of the Open Labs products to see how they actually integrate these audio interfaces. They are either modified versions created by the manufacturer or they have some unique cabling done inside the Open Labs keyboards.

i personally would never purchase a neko or miko because of the audio interfaces that they use, and dont see any of a difference at all between a well built computer with an actually good audio interface and a nob box of some sort... i would much rather upgrade my computer before purchasing another computer to hook up to mine now, (dont get me wrong i think the muse receptor is an amazing idea but) the openlabs products are just way overpriced for not that much of a performance increase.

• Members

You're probably right, c3400. For you.

For me, if I were to get into softsynths ... the NEKO might be the way to go. $2,500 -- to me -- isn't really that much. :rolleyes: Ha. Ha. But it's definately doable.

But then again, after spending a couple hours -- JUST TONIGHT! --tearing down, transporting, carrying out, and setting up, performing, then tearing down, reapeat ... and my studio's still in the living room and not in the studio ... I'm not against streamlining.

Of course, I have two very capable hardware workstations that would work out ... (I'm not using the Fusion yet live, but I take EVERYTHING else out) ...

... but seriously, isn't having just one board just a little boring? (No offense to those in bands ... it's a bit different for you since your with mates) ...

BUT, IMO, ONE BOARD IS ESPECIALLY GAY IF YOU'RE SOLO, like me.

As 13GostsofScobyDoo said, "in the crappy way, not the screw me in the ass way...that's cool :D "

Yeah, that could be someone's new quotation.

BTW, CEM, your first post and it would take three craps to read the whole thing? My advice, tone it down a bit. You're not God.

Pighood is.

Oink! Oink!

Completing the trinity with XXX and XXX.

I'll leave that rest of that unholy universe up to your own making.

• Members

The point missed by CEM is his first and only post here is simple: if you dismiss what Dallas or anyone else here has said about Open Labs you are left with what Open Labs itself has actually said and done, which sucks. I came into this thread with a "fresh perspective" too simply as an observer with no experience pro or con with Open Labs, and I'm inclined to take CEM's repeated advice to take my business elsewhere based on Open Labs' comments and the comments of it's so-called "family", which is not how you win customers and grow a business.

Comparing anything Open Labs makes to true synthesizers like Synclaviers or Fairlights is ludicrous... Open Labs makes PC products essentially and hasn't created any actual synthesis products of it's own yet to my knowledge. And they aren't even unique... other companies like Infinity Music Systems make similar PC-based instruments. I wouldn't doubt that others are coming. If there's any true comparison between Open Labs and the companies that made the Synclavier and Fairlights it might be in their brief corporate lifespans.

• Members

DallasPA might be reactionary, but i dont think of his post as a "scorched earth" attempt.

We are all a community here, and as this thread shows, there are a lot of opinions and debate to be had over what it means that Open Labs is shipping late and whether there is a problem with their management and communication.

Some have agreed with his ire, and questioned their own interest in the Miko, but that's fair... Open Labs would have come out looking better if their cheerleader hadn't shown up.

You know, we are such a vulnerable community, our gang of electronic musicians... not many of us are anywhere beyond middle class and these systems we buy are proffesional systems purchased with a strictly marginal budget.... there is no room for error when making such big decisions as our studio lynchpin. Without this community we would be ignorant over such issues as the initial Virus TI problems... the Neuron issues... So many little snags and hooks that would never be known if people didnt feel free to come here and share their experience with their friends.

Now, if the person is a total... um, well, let's just say that with some members we take their advice with a grain of salt. For instance i don't think Roland was shut down by Chik Korea's poor reviews of his trials over the FantomXR.

Most of us recognize the issues here as being related to the fact that Open Labs is still barely out of startup stage as a company. The Neko too was quite a hard sell for many forumites to enthuse about, but the forum has always kept an interest in the company's progress.

Maybe Victor should post here, or someone else from open labs, and talk about the company's communication policy, backorder status, estimated time of new order turnarounds, and get into the technical details of the new machine.

Open Labs needs to really stand apart in their relation to our synth community and potential customers... and not in a bad way! I admire what they're doing but being so unique is a slippery slope and right now their image is everything. A great product simply is not enough... most of us think Waldorf was making the best synth engines in the business when they went under. No doubt the Miko will be a beast, but whether it is a success will be determined one customer at a time.

• Members

Originally posted by DallasPA

Greetings,

I will probably never ever ever buy an Open Labs product after this Fiasco.

I'm with you on that one - companies that spread misinformation should be punished by their (potential) customers.

If you're taking preorders you're giving the impression you'll be delivering shortly, so unless you write in big, boldface letters "Ship date: unknown at this point" on your website you deserve no mercy as a company.

• Members

Well I'm certainly not going to let a later shipping date keep me from enjoying the recording experience I feel the Miko will bring me. I received confirmation that mine will be here in 2-3 weeks. My credit card has already been charged and I got a call from Open Labs this week. I've read others who recently received their Neko and they can't say a bad thing about them. I think folks are a little too up tight on this thread. This definitely aint no Virus Ti fiasco. I think CEM was on point. It doesn't matter how many posts he's made here. He's a satisfied Open Labs customer and decided to chime in his two cents. With that said I'll let yall know how much fun I'm having when it's in my studio! :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by orangefunk

I feel that you are making wild comments that you think speak for the majority of people and I am certainly not of your view even though I've been playing, programming and purchasing synths since 1985. Try and respect people here and it will earn you more kudos than saying that everyone who is not of your opinion is an amoeba....

perhaps i was a bit outlandish in saying what i did in referance to amoeba's, however i was not talking about the technology, i was talking about the way the technology was presented as new and unique, something that no one has done before(in a style reminisant of propoganda)... that is what i was attempting to referance in a very tounge in cheek manner, perhaps i could have executed my humor in a different way, and i am sorry if i offended you by saying that.

BUT why on earth would you think that i think im talking for anyone but myself?

• Members

Its so funny,

CEM you remind me of the Borg on STAR TREK, protect the collective at all cost!!!!

CEM one of the cornerstones of the US constitution is freedom of speech. And just as you had a right to post when and where you please, so do I. Whether I posted here first or last is meaningless. It wasn't done in the dark nor in hiding, harmony central is as far as you can get from hiding. My reason for posting at harmony was to get some UNBIASED FEEDBACK on my situation. Did it get carried away, maybe, but that always seems to happen online in one fashion or another

I'm not going to expend the energy to address your flawed arguments, that would take a dissertation.

What I will state is that anger is sometimes good, as long as it doesnt flaw your judgement. Why, because it sometimes detaches you from a level of wonderlust that we sometimes buy and absorb. In fact you couldnt be more blinded by open labs - the very fact that you have been a Beta Tester and assisted behind the scenes at Trade shows has overtaken you and you are really totally incapable of giving an unbiased analysis of my experience, and why I presented things in the fashion I choose - which is my right!!!!!! You see you're exposure and experience has overpowered you ( this doesnt always happen, some can maintain objectivity in light of exposure), but not you: you have been processed and in your eyes Open Labs can do no wrong. You have bought into the idealogy, heart and soul and have been transformed into an Open Labs Automoton.

Yes I was angry, but even while in anger I still dealt with the facts and presented and validated my argument. As much as you hated it I wasnt a troll, I was a customer. And a displeased one at that!!! You dont agree so what. What matters is the true visualization of this entire ordeal, is that my experience was real!!!! It wasn't fabricated, nor off the fence sidebar - You think the choices I made (selling my entire production rig ) because the president/CEO of openlabs announced a release date somehow exonerates thier actions as company, I think not. This wasnt someone in the public relations department that announced a shipping date - this was your beloved Borg leader.

So if I should not have believed him the first time (as you suggest), why believe on July 9th!!!!!

As many have stated I certainly didnt drop the ball, Open lab dropped the ball - when they choose not to place a caption in the MIKO promo stating shipping delayed!!!! When questioned over the phone what you call reponse/feedback was nothing less than a dog and pony show. The range of responses which were recieved from the open labs staff were mostly lies though I would like to believe they were not intentional; just uninformed as every customer was. The only truthful response was I dont Know, and that means nothing coming from a pion.

The Facts are:

1)The Miko was not ready when it was stated.

2)I made an informed decision based on the words of Victor (who notified the world of the initial shipping date), a man I should not have trusted!!!!

3)Open labs never made an official announcement that the miko was delayed

4)Open Labs did not address any of the inquiries made in the forum concerning the delays, nor gave a reply stating expected timeframes for remedying the issue.

5)They did not follow their own policy of filling orders based on your preorder cue.

Those are all facts

Dallas

• Members

Originally posted by CEM

DallasPA said:

I sold all my keys in February anticipating a March delivery and its almost August!!!!!!!!

This is a typo, right? You have over 20 years experience yet you sold your old gear B4 the new gear is in your hands and functioning for a period of time? I

• Members

mytee,

Firstly, I'm not a gear hoar, but over the years I do have a history of early adoption of the gear that I choose to buy. I personally dont understand the concept of buying a piece 2 years into its product life, if I've done my research and have a good feel about the manufacturer. I get on the horse straight out the gate, and get the full benefit of the technology good, bad, or ugly.

I believe my particular actions in this situation may not lend itself to such elementary hindsight perception.

Granted ditching my gear and waiting 6 months was a mistake.

But when you see Prince and other artist doing live performances with actual working hardware it becomes very easy to be duped. This was way more the just the run of the mill, trade magazine/show smoke and glass. I have never even seen anything remotely close to this, where you can see artists' performing with the gear (multiple times) and the company still misses the mark by such a wide gap.

I fell victim to the hype, unfortunately.

Dallas

• Members

Originally posted by Mind_PoP

Dallas should have waited..His bad.. The rest of you hold tight they will be on the way..I dont Know at what rate they come off the line, but the line is rolling..They acctualy are at it hard and fast, and the orders are rolling..It took a while but greatness usualy does...Shoot they say God took 6 days and he is omnipotent..
:)
If you would like fly to Las Vegas. I will be at the Riviera on August 4th and 5th at defcon 14($100.00 to enter my show and 14,000 people in attendance)..and you can see a one man band play with one piece off equipment..Only Miko/Neko could do this right. Not an Oasys, not a Triton. Not anything. I use to have to bring 2 pc's, a monitor, a keyboard, a vocal rack, and cords, and a partner. I play alone now with one piece. I use Miko as a Keyboard, a pc, and a vocal rack all at once, while running Windows apps I need for my show. I am even going to start running my own video myself live too. Oasys cant. Nothing can do this. Personaly I can buy100 Oasys's right now and I didnt want one. They blew the Interface options if you ask me. My neko is set for 18 ins 18 outs., and again Oasys cant do this, not even close.. I only need 2 outs from my Miko. Perfect wordclock too. Dont get me wrong Korg is cool, my seven year old son plays one, and he loves it. He likes playing around with synth's just like me. He plays drums and bass too. He owns a specter, and a pearl set..He even is learning to sequence..But again it is official the big boy toys are out and about, and those with a Miko carry Clout....
:thu:

Can I start a fresh account so I can troll around some bull{censored} too? :rolleyes:;)

• Members

13ghosts, I disagree that Open Labs had to pay Prince to use their products. Morris Hayes (has worked for Prince since the early ninties) has been using Open labs since they arrived on the scene. Here's a link to him at NAMM from a few years ago.

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/shownews.cfm?newsid=1892#

Renato Neto(another Prince keyboard player) has been using them for sometime. http://openlabs.com/press/newsflash-keyboardmag-2004-aug.htm

• Members

Originally posted by Sinner6

Heres a blurb:

That article is extremely misleading regarding pricing. It states:

-- The MiKo is a 64-bit Dual Core processor-powered media hub

-- A 1TB hard drive

-- It's on sale now on Open Labs' Web site for $2,499.

It should state prices STARTING at $2,499.

According to the Open Labs store:

$2,499 miKo:

-- AMD single core

-- 512 MB memory

-- 80 GB hard drive

I am not sure where the reviewer got the "1TB hard drive". [A person can buy a neKo with 4 hard drives (1TB)]

According to the Open Labs store:

$ 5,101 miKo ("maxed out")

-- AMD dual core 64-bit

-- 4 GB RAM

-- 500 GB Hard drive space (2 250GB drives)

Archived