Adding an LED?

88mm

• Members

I have a Fuzz Face RI and contrary to what some people may think I like the way mine sounds. I would like to ad a new switch to it and add an LED. I am decent at soldering and stuff of the sort but just need some direction. My FF RI has the switch mounted to the pc board so I that I coud just put a new "Blue" switch in it jumper it to the board and add an LED? Someone Help out please thanks!

• Members

Is that positive or negative ground?

Here's the diagram for negative ground:
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/switch_lo_3pdt_tb_dcjack.gif

And for positive ground:
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/switch_lo_3pdt_tb_dcjack_pnp.gif

Actually, does it even have a power jack?

If not, it's a bit simpler (but you can still use basically the same diagrams).

• Members

Originally posted by FantasticAndy

do you really need a light on it to know if its turned on? I mean, the fuzz face makes itself pretty clear that its turned on.

Someone else brought up a good point...

If you're gigging live and you've got your guitar volume turned all the way down, you don't want to fingerpick the first line of your monster ballad and have it be all fuzzy!

Sure, you're going to know it's on...but wouldn't you rather know before you strum your first chord?

• Members

i had a pedal without an led and it drove me mad, its pretty annoying to try starting a song with a nice clean line when your fuzz pedal is still switched on after the last song (which you couldnt check via an led

basically yes, if you replace the dpdt (i think what will be there) with a blue 3pdt, and use the extra three lugs for switching the led, i am not sure about the pcb mounting though, as the switch will be holding it in place so you may need to move it about a bit
fuzzfaces are positive ground, so the led will need to be wired 'backwards' from normal too

David

• Members

basically yes, if you replace the dpdt (i think what will be there) with a blue 3pdt, and use the extra three lugs for switching the led, i am not sure about the pcb mounting though, as the switch will be holding it in place so you may need to move it about a bit
fuzzfaces are positive ground, so the led will need to be wired 'backwards' from normal too

David

Yeah...I will have to relocate the board. It's wiring up the new 3pdt switch back to the PCB proper is what worries me.

Archived