AC Adaptors... 9V 500ma vs 9V 1.2ma. What is the difference?

wheresgrant3

• Members

Originally posted by wheresgrant3

I lost an AC adaptors to one of my FX pedals. The spec is 9V 1.2 miliamps. I'm having a hard time trying to find one locally and was consider using one of 3-4 9V AC adapters that are a lower miliamp rating. Do I run the risk of frying this pedal?

If the pedal specs a 1200mA power supply than it requires one similar to that.

To reiterate the above...a 500mA supply wouldn't work, the pedal won't sound right (if work at all) and the pedal will burn the supply out by trying to draw more current than is available.

1200mA supplies are available, even if you have to contract your pedal's manufacturer. You can also buy a supply that supplies more milliamps, they just go unused, maybe you can daisy chain and use the extra mA for extra pedals.

-Y.

• Members

with a power supply you need to supply AT LEAST the specified amount, so if the pedal says a 1200mA adapter you need at least that size

a larger adapter is fine though, so a 2000mA (or bigger) supply will be fine

the pedal always trys to draw its required current, so the bigger adapter would be equivalent of a giant pool of current, and the pedal sucks up what it needs, the other way round with too little current, and the pedal will still try and draw what it needs, which will overstress the supply and most likely fry it

what is the pedal? some pedals need specific adapters (the digitech whammy for example) while some are always overspecced - boss for example always say to use the standard boss adapter, which can supply enough current for multiple boss pedals, so it dependssa on the exact pedal and its requirements

David

• Members

I'm amazed that there isn't some kind of electronics primer out there for guitarists.

I was trying out a pedal in in GC the other day. We were looking to power a Boss DS-1 and I grabbed the supply out of a Korg Multi-effects thing. She was like "woah, that's too many amp for this pedal. It'll fry it, I've done it before". Had to explain a little bit about current draw. In the end, she let me do it although she was sceptical until the light came on in the boss.

I'm wondering what exactly she did to kill that other pedal...

Too bad the GC employees don't come here, they might learn something. Then again, that might mean less bargains on used stuff.

• Members

Originally posted by wheresgrant3

Thanks.... I found a universal solution!!!!!

An adapter for a Line 6 POD. I knew there was a use for that sucker!!!!
:D

9Volt 2000 ma.

Hold on - the Line 6 POD adapter is 9 volts AC, not DC. You never mentioned what the specs on the lost adapter was (if it was 9vAC or 9vDC), but be aware that if you plug AC voltage into a pedal that expects to see DC, you'll most likely fry it. Fast.

/Andreas

• Members

Originally posted by andreas

Hold on - the Line 6 POD adapter is 9 volts AC, not DC. You never mentioned what the specs on the lost adapter was (if it was 9vAC or 9vDC), but be aware that if you plug AC voltage into a pedal that expects to see DC, you'll most likely fry it. Fast.

/Andreas

9VAC:thu:

Archived