Sustain "trick"

phishmarisol

• Members

I have been doing this a lot lately...it's a good way to get a long sustaining note if you don't have it naturally...I mean like really long sustain for those that are into it. Set up your boost/OD/Distortion etc. for high gain and amp vol if you want. I keep my amp vol. low though. Important thing is just to have your pedals at a high output. Then you can start your guitar volume really low, like on 2 or 3. Play the note you want to sustain, I usually like to play a run and have the last note ring out a long time. So then right before the note starts to fade or just as it does slowing roll up the guitar volume. Maybe this is obvious but anyway I have been doing it a lot lately and it's fun too. :) You can also use a vol. pedal for this but I personally don't care for them.

• Members
Originally posted by phishmarisol

I have been doing this a lot lately...it's a good way to get a long sustaining note if you don't have it naturally...I mean like really long sustain for those that are into it. Set up your boost/OD/Distortion etc. for high gain and amp vol if you want. I keep my amp vol. low though. Important thing is just to have your pedals at a high output. Then you can start your guitar volume really low, like on 2 or 3. Play the note you want to sustain, I usually like to play a run and have the last note ring out a long time. So then right before the note starts to fade or just as it does slowing roll up the guitar volume. Maybe this is obvious but anyway I have been doing it a lot lately and it's fun too.
:)
You can also use a vol. pedal for this but I personally don't care for them.

A wide vibrato goes a long way too. Just getting some friction under the string can allow it to ring indefinitly with the right amount of gain and a compressor pedal.

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by Porkchop Xpress

A wide vibrato goes a long way too. Just getting some friction under the string can allow it to ring indefinitly with the right amount of gain and a compressor pedal.

w3rd

• Members

Originally posted by Porkchop Xpress

I explained this over the phone to one of my out-of-town students last night. Sustain is in the fingers. He had been hearing from other players in his small town that a compressor was required to get good sustain. I'm definitely a fan of compressors, but guitarists shouldn't use them as a crutch.

• Members

That (Jeff) Beck clip that someone posted here today shows this technique. He kept the guitar volume somewhere well below max during most of that solo, but when he needed it, he could crank the guitar vol knob and make it just ooze.

Nice tip!

• Members

Originally posted by UncleDig

That (Jeff) Beck clip that someone posted here today shows this technique. He kept the guitar volume somewhere well below max during most of that solo, but when he needed it, he could crank the guitar vol knob and make it just ooze.

Nice tip!

He did a hell of a lot of that with his fingers, too. That's a pretty amazing clip.

Archived