building pedals - is wiring components the same as making an etched board design wise

hangwire

• Members

I have PC etched board stuff, but I think it might be better to just connect components with wire and solder parts together... especially since drilling might be an issue [my drill would need new bits i think]

is there any difference between wire and solder vs etched boards in pedal building?

• Members

How about using perf-board? You can easily find it at Radio Shack and can make lots of projects with it if you take the time to lay it out neatly. It basically uses the leads of the resistors and caps in place of the copper traces. Solder them together and you are set.

Runoffgroove.com and Home-Wrecker.com have lots of projects on perf-board to try out.

• Members

pcb is probably simpler, especially for big circuits, everything is preplanned so you just pop in all the components in their allotted spaces

pad per hole is easy enough for smaller circuits, i have always just done them as the schem, thats for smallish circuits, not trying to squish them too much
bigger circuits are possible, just you reall yneed to plan in advance exactly where everything goes and where everything is connected - a cool idea to doodle on the board where everything goes before hand and the connections on the back

tonewise, no real difference, apart from (as andi said) you will have the benefit of a predone layout for some more noisey circuits (assuming youve got the layout from the net, not doing it yourself)

David

Archived