Anyone own a CE-1?

Uchison

• Members

Great, I have one too that I'm giging with as well. Where do you put it in your pedal chain? I have it right after the Od-section and it gives me a litlle trouble. I can't seem to find the right volume amount for the input. If I put too low, I lose a lot of signal, but if I put it louder, it strats getting this ugly distortion...

:confused:

Any ideas?

• Members

Originally posted by MBET

I've got one as well but I have it in a switching system so it's not always in my signal path. But I have it towards the end of my chain. I haven't noticed a problem with volume.

If I'm running a long line I'll plug into it the CE-1 first.

• Members

Originally posted by DaSkip

I don't have mine on my board. I'm thinking of sending it to Keeley for a True By-pass mod and he changes out the level control potentiometer. Killer chorus and great vibrato....
:cool:

How much is that mod?

I was talked out of having one of mine modded by a very famous pedal builder.Seems the end result with the mod is simply not worth the bucks.Kind of like a hifi mod on a ce-2.What is the purpose?If you want hifi buy a ce-5 or tce..I have no problems with mine but like you I just use it when I need *that sound*..But I also have a Roland JC 120H,superb ce-1 sound without the hassle...

• Members

This is quoted from Keeley's web-site

"Do you mod other pedals like the Shredmaster, OD-2/3, Drive Master, OD-2, CE-1, Ch-1, you name it, etc...

A: No, We do NOT mod any pedal not listed on the site.

Please do not email or ask if I can mod this or that, we mod only pedals that are on the site. It takes me months sometimes to develop mods."

Well, I know rk is swamped so I can understand his reluctance to take on non-standard mods. I guess I should have had it done when I first spoke with him. I've got nothin' but love for rk. :cool:

• Members

Originally posted by Wyatt

I just sold mine. The input problem is common. I used to run mine in my effects loop where it had a stablized input level.

-Y.

gues, I'm not the only one. Somehow the pedal seems to deliver much better tones when it's in stereo mode...for some strange reason everything becomes better. Even the input takes more gain..any of you experienced this as well?

• Members

I just sold mine. The input problem is common. I used to run mine in my effects loop where it had a stablized input level.

-Y.

When you true bypass it, the input volume knob is only in effect when the effect is on. I loved the CE-1 that I used to own with that feature, I could get a really nice, dirty chorus with a raunchy overdrive.

• Members

Originally posted by Uchison

gues, I'm not the only one. Somehow the pedal seems to deliver much better tones when it's in stereo mode...for some strange reason everything becomes better. Even the input takes more gain..any of you experienced this as well?

it sounded fabulous with the Koch and the Vibrochamp..! :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by rockstrongo

When you true bypass it, the input volume knob is only in effect when the effect is on. I loved the CE-1 that I used to own with that feature, I could get a really nice, dirty chorus with a raunchy overdrive.

Yes but then, ...

1.) You still have problems with the chorus overdriving in the input is too hot, and that input level is affected by any boosted signal being turned on or off in front of it. And the CE-1 doesn't sound good when it overdrives. The new pot makes it easier to dial in the sweet-spot, but does not increase the amount of signal the pedal can handle.

2.) You have unity gain issues between bypassed mode and effect mode. The bypassed signal is much stronger and louder than you can ever have the effect set for, so you get a big drop when yopu turn the effect on (or you risk overdriving it).

THe effects loop is perfect. You can set the input and forget. But I sold all my effects loop amps, so the pedal became all but unusable for me.

-Y.

• Members

Yes but then, ...

1.) You still have problems with the chorus overdriving in the input is too hot, and that input level is affected by any boosted signal being turned on or off in front of it. And the CE-1 doesn't sound good when it overdrives. The new pot makes it easier to dial in the sweet-spot, but does not increase the amount of signal the pedal can handle.

2.) You have unity gain issues between bypassed mode and effect mode. The bypassed signal is much stronger and louder than you can ever have the effect set for, so you get a big drop when yopu turn the effect on (or you risk overdriving it).

THe effects loop is perfect. You can set the input and forget. But I sold all my effects loop amps, so the pedal became all but unusable for me.

-Y.

These are my exact findings. Un fortunately, I don't have effect loops neither..

All the other Chorus pedals I tried, dindn't sound as good as the Ce-1. And that keeps the pedal on my board.

I have a Maxon Stereo Chorus and a Small Clone. But I hate it when an effect accents teh high/treble. So the Maxon is bo good. And the bypass in the Small Clone is really poor..Most of the choruses I tried didn't do it for me. Any other good suggestions?

• Members

-Y.

Honestly the solution is to sell it and but a Retrosonic Chorus enemble. (A clone with all the coolness and none of the problems.) This pedal kills. You can switch between two sounds and it has a level knob so you can set for a slight boost if you want. With no nasty distortion I might add. totally clean headroom. although i didn't try cranking it up since that wouldn't make sense in real life but as far as usable volume it was perfectly clean. Great pedal with all the vintage vibe and none of the vintage "issues."

• Members

Originally posted by telepaul

Honestly the solution is to sell it and but a Retrosonic Chorus enemble. (A clone with all the coolness and none of the problems.) This pedal kills. You can switch between two sounds and it has a level knob so you can set for a slight boost if you want. With no nasty distortion I might add. totally clean headroom. although i didn't try cranking it up since that wouldn't make sense in real life but as far as usable volume it was perfectly clean. Great pedal with all the vintage vibe and none of the vintage "issues."

Not all of the vintage vibe. It is mono. It would definitely work for 90% of my needs.

But a CE-1 running in stereo is one of the lushes, fullest sounding experiences short of a real rotating speaker.

-Y.

• Members

So, is there a reputable guy out there that can mod a CE-1?
:confused:

That is what I was saying before.A Reputable guy would not charge you $100-150 to mod the ce-1.Because the end result would still be a one trick pony..Have you tried the boss ce-20 side by side with your ce-1 yet?

I guess I need to do that tomorrow.Keith

• Members

I'm thinking about selling the CE-1 and buying an Analogman Chorus with the depth switch. I already have the Lovepedal Vibe.

I don't know though I've had the CE-1 forever. It would like dumping an old friend sorta.

I know what you mean.The Vibrato side of the ce-1 alone is why I still sport one..Good call on the A.M.C..Doesn't he make a stereo model???

• Members

I'm thinking about selling the CE-1 and buying an Analogman Chorus with the depth switch. I already have the Lovepedal Vibe.

I don't know though I've had the CE-1 forever. It would like dumping an old friend sorta.

Same here, even though I don't use the CE-1. Great chorus and great vibrato but it's just too bulky for me to use live and I hate the input problems.

I also have the analogman chorus and it mostly sits around too. And a Boss CE2 which sits around. I have no idea why I have so many choruses and I hardly even use chorus anymore.

Archived