Phil Collins is the man.

univox5138

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where, uh, Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Christy, take off your robe. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Sabrina, remove your dress. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as, uh, anything I've heard in rock. Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your ass. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and, uh, Against All Odds. Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

• Members

Originally posted by Arjae

Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where, uh, Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Christy, take off your robe. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Sabrina, remove your dress. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as, uh, anything I've heard in rock. Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your ass. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and, uh, Against All Odds. Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

Exactly what I was thinking.

• Members

Originally posted by Mr. Twang

Exactly what I was thinking.

I tend to remember cool movie quotes word for word.

Who am I kidding? Good old google search for movie quotes yielded that gem. But that was the first thing that came to mind when I saw Phil Collins mentioned. :evil::D

• Members

Originally posted by my88keys

You all know about the story behind "In the Air Tonight" right? Right??

I've heard the gist of it but couldn't figure out the details. Did Phil save the girl and he noticed that the guy was just standing there watching and then he saw him at a show and he came up with the song on the spot to call him out?

• Members

Originally posted by Arjae

I've heard the gist of it but couldn't figure out the details. Did Phil save the girl and he noticed that the guy was just standing there watching and then he saw him at a show and he came up with the song on the spot to call him out?

It's all a rumor. Here's the Urban Legends page on it

Supposedly Collins has disputed this numerous times himself.

It's still a great song though. I also like "I don't care anymore" in the same vein.

Never loved Genesis, but never really heard the early stuff much either.

• Members

Originally posted by hoerni

It's all a rumor. Here's the Urban Legends page

It's still a great song though. I also like "I don't care anymore" in the same vein.

I like the video for I Don't Care Anymore, with Leland Sklar pounding his fists on a set of Moog taurus pedals.

I like some Genesis, and I love the first three solo albums. My appreciation tapers off pretty quickly after that.

His drumming is spectacular. The drum duet stuff he and Chester Thompson did was off the hook. The live recordings of Westside are top notch.

It doesn't hurt that he had one of the greatest alto players this side of the sixties backing him up.

• Members

That song is about cocaine addiction.

Early genesis kicked ass compared to the later crap, but I will still sing along to "In the Air" if i'm in my car, alone.

I always thought that quote from "American Psycho" really accurately depicted, though the medium of the "pop parable" of Genesis's transformation from a brilliant art-rock act to a brilliant soulless synth-pop act, the vampiric nature of the 80's zietgeist.

Originally posted by hoerni

It's all a rumor. Here's the Urban Legends page

• Members

"The story has to do with Phil Collins supposedly watching his close friend drown from a nearby cliff, while he stood helpless, too far away to rescue. In addition, supposedly there was a man who could have rescued the friend but just stood idly by. Then, Phil writes a song about the experience and gives the man a front row ticket to the show where he premieres the song. While Phil sings the song to him, the spotlight is on the man in the front row."

This is actually why you don't hear so much from Phil any more. With such a natural talent for drama and detection, Phil hung it up and formed the "Phil Collins' Detective Agency."

Each week Phil and his band of comely assistants take on the crimes too tough for others to crack. After much painstaking work, the criminal is discovered and lured to a dark stadium, car park, or football pitch where Phil's drum kit is setup.

Phil and the gang illuminate the dark crimes of the perp, gaining a confession under the flood lights as Phil pounds out a martial beat.

Sadly, the criminal usually escapes as Phil is too busy showing his mastery of the toms to notice the bad guy making a break for it.

Archived