Phil Collins is the man.

univox5138

• Members

Tonight, Tonight Toniyight....Woah Ohhhhhhhh!!!!

I agree that the Phil Collins monologue from American Psycho sums it up nicely. Sure Genesis was better in its original form, but the 80's were a strange time, and 80's Genisis is a lot better than a lot of garbage that came out at the same time.

Duke is my fav of the albums, especially the final two songs.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Regardless of the fact that "Duke" featured shorter more radio-friendly songs.....I still think that is it one of the greatest progressive rock concept albums of all time......hideously underrated in that respect. The playing all over that album is phenomenal,(check out Rutherford's bass lines on "Duke's End".....wicked!), not to mention Hugh Padgham's fantastic production....."Duke" rules!

I don't think Genesis' music suffered at all when Phil took over lead vocal duties.....it wasn't better or worse....just different. Once Hackett left there was another period of transition and transformation as Rutherford took over guitar duties......but from "Trick of the Tail" onwards through to "I Can't Dance", Genesis ALWAYS put at least one song on every album that tipped it's hat to their "Prog Rock" beginnings. It is easy to see that their desires were more commercial during the 80's and I don't doubt that they wanted to make more money, but, quite frankly, I think after playing live for 10-15 years and giving us the quality of studio recordings and live performances that they consistently delivered.....they were entitled to do whatever they thought was best! I would much rather see musicians like Phil Collins cashing in than....let's say...50 cent or Britney Spears.

It starts to get a little obvious when you see the same musicians being maligned over and over on these forums( for whatever reason!)....Phil Collins, EVH, Jimmy Page...even Zappa!.....one day people are just going to HAVE to accept the obvious.....they are all great musicians who have GIVEN us great music!:thu: ....nothin else really matters....

• Members

Originally posted by UncleDig

Now THAT's a reunion I can get behind.

After all these years of independent success and development of their talents, not to mention the advances in gear, I can only imagine what a reunion Genesis show would be like.

Thumbs up for Brother John. Somebody get Rael on the phone.

Dig, that would be THE concert that I'd travel to anywhere in the world to see, if they don't pop over to KL or anywhere near here like Singapore or Bangkok.

Did see them twice during the Duke tour in the UK - Peterborough and Birmingham April 1980. Wonderful, magical time of youth and rampant love for music. Misty-eyed moment, this...:cry:

In heaven I don't want pretty maidens, I want to re-live happy times with wife and children on demand and see Genesis of any period (and any fave band for that matter), and even get to play second tambourine :D with them, anything that'd put me right in their midst during their Lamb tour or Wind and Wuthering tour, etc.

Now that would be real heaven....

In the meantime heaven on earth would include seeing them again in a reunion concert. :)

• Members

Originally posted by The Dog Boy

Regardless of the fact that "Duke" featured shorter more radio-friendly songs.....I still think that is it one of the greatest progressive rock concept albums of all time......hideously underrated in that respect. The playing all over that album is phenomenal,(check out Rutherford's bass lines on "Duke's End".....wicked!), not to mention Hugh Padgham's fantastic production....."Duke" rules!

I don't think Genesis' music suffered at all when Phil took over lead vocal duties.....it wasn't better or worse....just different. Once Hackett left there was another period of transition and transformation as Rutherford took over guitar duties......but from "Trick of the Tail" onwards through to "I Can't Dance", Genesis ALWAYS put at least one song on every album that tipped it's hat to their "Prog Rock" beginnings. It is easy to see that their desires were more commercial during the 80's and I don't doubt that they wanted to make more money, but, quite frankly, I think after playing live for 10-15 years and giving us the quality of studio recordings and live performances that they consistently delivered.....they were entitled to do whatever they thought was best! I would much rather see musicians like Phil Collins cashing in than....let's say...50 cent or Britney Spears.

It starts to get a little obvious when you see the same musicians being maligned over and over on these forums( for whatever reason!)....Phil Collins, EVH, Jimmy Page...even Zappa!.....one day people are just going to HAVE to accept the obvious.....they are all great musicians who have GIVEN us great music!
:thu:
....nothin else really matters....

Great post, man. Something worth reading again. :)

Only thing, Duke was co-produced by Genesis and David Henstchel. Hugh Padgam 's first production job with them was for Abacab - I know, I'm a sad train-spotter. :D

• Members

Originally posted by keramat8

Great post, man. Something worth reading again.
:)

Only thing, Duke was co-produced by Genesis and David Henstchel. Hugh Padgam 's first production job with them was for Abacab - I know, I'm a sad train-spotter.
:D

Absolutely right about David Henstchel.....I stand corrected.:)

• Members

Originally posted by The Dog Boy

Absolutely right about David Henstchel.....I stand corrected.
:)

My own favourite has to be Trick of the Tail followed closely by Seconds Out and Wind and Wuthering. That trio of initial Collins sung albums were the soundtrack of my youth so maybe I'm looking through rose-tinted glasses. Abacab and Duke have a special place too but by the self-titled Genesis, I felt they slipped a bit and sorely missed Hackett's touch and feel, a lot of the subtlety was missing.

I think the studio where the recording was done played a part and I thought Trick's Trident Studios was magical in the hands of Henstchel, who himself played keys (I have his solo album). The drums were inspirational - free-wheeling, jazzy even but truly rocking on Squonk.

Of the Gabriel albums I like all of them, especially The Lamb. But I won't get started on that here....can hear the Missus calling....:D

Archived