Pre-Amp to Head question

• Members

I have a behringer v-amp and I wanted to put it though a head. I'm planning on getting a new tube head (Recto or VHT still haven't decided). Just for the sake of getting a couple more sounds out of the head, how would I use the pre amp with the amps power section? Does it totally take over the amps pre-amp? Are there any problems with doing this? Thanks everyone!

• Members

Originally posted by HurleyGuitarist9

I have a behringer v-amp and I wanted to put it though a head. I'm planning on getting a new tube head (Recto or VHT still haven't decided). Just for the sake of getting a couple more sounds out of the head, how would I use the pre amp with the amps power section? Does it totally take over the amps pre-amp? Are there any problems with doing this? Thanks everyone!

Your best bet (if you are planning on strictly using the v-amp for your pre-amp) is to plug your guitar directly into the v-amp, then plug the v-amp into the effects return of you amp (if you have one, of course). If you go in the front end of the amp, you will have to deal with the pre-amp coloring your tone.

• Members

take the line outputs of the vamp into the effects return no the back of the head

remember that if you do that, the mesa will colour the sound of the vamp further, the vamp is designed to recreate the sound of preamp, poweramp and speakers through a full range system - headphones or stereo or the like, so plugging it into a mesa will colour the tone in a mesa style, a mesa should be slightly better than a marshall style at last though, as they are geared more towards the preamp with a less influential poweramp, unlike a marshall where it plays a huge part to the cranked marshall sound

remember to turn off the cab modelling too, as if you run the vamp with modelling through another cab, they will add up and it will sound muddy and crappy, this can be turned off though

really i would go for something other than the vamp for getting more sounds in addition to a mesa - either a couple of choice dirt pedals for different sounds (a marshall style gain, fuzz, etc...) or somehting like a boss me-50 or gt-6 or something for effects, something geared specifically towards getting effects and not mainly amp modelling

the vamp is a great tool though, great recorded sound stright into a pc, and for silent playing with headphones when a mesaq isnt the best idea...

David

Archived