Do you use exotic picks?

jcn37203

• Members

Originally posted by fractal

I bet it would only last a few minutes before I got bored with it, but I'd really like to try the "jellifish" one.

I thought it was interesting also, until I read that you aren't supposed to use it with a guitar that has magnetic pickups.

And you can't use it with nylon strings.

So basically it's only for acoustic metal-stringed guitars.

• Members

I don't use any really weird picks, but I do keep a bunch of different styles of picks around, including some made of bone and shell, and some of those really fat stubby ones. Mostly I do it to accomodate folks who come in, but I find different picks really make a big difference, especially on acoustic guitar.

• Members

I use dunlop green tortex as well.

But I had a solid brass one like in the photo for years quite a while ago and it snapped strings like twigs. You just couldn't really mash at the strings because it didn' give at all. I actually broke 3 strings in one swoosh. Freaked me out. But it DID give a bright jangly tone if you could be careful with it.

• Members

Originally posted by jcn37203

Yeah, I don't get it either.

I assume maybe your thumb goes through the hole, and it sits across your palm or something?

I think that maybe your middle finger would go through it, like wearing a ring, and you grasped it with thumb and index where the little gray dot is. Maybe it's designed so you never drop it?

• Members

Most of mine are different thicknesses, though I do have the bone and the fat pics. I don't like the fack picks because I always wind up hitting my thumb on the strings. I didn't really notice too much of a difference with the bone picks, but I only have one or two of them, so I don't have any on me. Maybe i'll go dig one out when I get home and see how it feels. I've been meaning to try one of those metallic (steel?) picks for awhile but haven't got around to it, yet. That last pick looks freaky, might be fun to mess with though.

• Members

Originally posted by yaz75

I think that maybe your middle finger would go through it, like wearing a ring, and you grasped it with thumb and index where the little gray dot is. Maybe it's designed so you never drop it?

But the dramatic pick-flick is a major part of my stage persona.

Archived