I've had it with George L's what do you use?

erick4x4

• Members

Ok so I have used George L's for about 2 years, and I just have too many problems with them.

Now I know some of you have already said people don't use them right, but I do. I fly to lots and lots of gigs, I probably fly to a new gig at least every other week, and the george L's just do not hold up. Between turbulence and TSA's they are always unscrewing, or getting nicked (which is a problem because they are so thin). After a while the shielding breaks down, so I can't re-tighten them.

I just can't go any longer with everytime I pull my pedal board out, some cable is acting up.

What do you guys use? I hate to think of buying a bunch of Monster cables at $25 a piece. I need something that sounds good, and is reliable. Size of the ends do matter too, as I have a fairly tight board.

Should I be making my own, and if so, what do you guys use for tips and cable?

Thanks for the help, I have hit my limit with these cables.

• Members

You could go to Radio Shack & buy a bag of right-angle ends & a coil of cable & solder up your own. Don't see how a cable can be "nicked" unless you're always moving the pedals around and/or have a lousy case that doesn't do the job. I run all Ls thru 13 pedals, gig every weekend, and run two 5-Looopers besides, and have no problems at all.

• Members

Originally posted by FLYING V 83

You could go to Radio Shack & buy a bag of right-angle ends & a coil of cable & solder up your own. Don't see how a cable can be "nicked" unless you're always moving the pedals around and/or have a lousy case that doesn't do the job. I run all Ls thru 13 pedals, gig every weekend, and run two 5-Looopers besides, and have no problems at all.

You must not fly very much with your stuff. Even a good case can't stop stuff from moving when it is really thrown around a lot. I think I just gig a lot and need something sturdier.

I gig about 5 times a week in town, and fly every other weekend. They just get beat up, they're just not super strong, and the ends are always coming loose over time.

• Members

learning to make your own is a cool idea, soldering isnt too hard to do, and you get the bonus' of being able to make custom lengths to suit your board (like with george l's)

as for what bits to use, neutrixs jacks and klotz la grange are always recommended by andi, but i am not sure if they are more for normal leads rather than small board ones

David

• Members

Originally posted by erick4x4

You must not fly very much with your stuff. Even a good case can't stop stuff from moving when it is really thrown around a lot.

You're right, I don't fly with my gear. But my point is still valid, a good ATA flight case would protect your pedals. And you could always tie-strap 'em down to the board to prevent movement within the case.

• Members

Quantum SQI series is a nice cable with oxygen-free wire and G&H connectors on it. G&H have become my favorite 1/4" connectors. They have a solid copper core and they seem a lot sturdier to me than even switchcraft connectors. We sell the daylights out of these in my shop, and I never get complaints on them.

Horizon HBG series are good cables, nice braided shield and a protective extra piece of heat shrink for strain relief at the plugs. Horizon's Studio Series are also very good cables. DO NOT buy Horizon's HC series, they're an entry level cable at best; spiral shield and no extra strain relief either. This is the series of Horizon you usually see at Musician's Friend or Walmart. Avoid these and step up a level or two.

I've heard good things about Planet waves cables too, but they can be pricey.

• Members

Originally posted by Narcosynthesis

learning to make your own is a cool idea, soldering isnt too hard to do, and you get the bonus' of being able to make custom lengths to suit your board (like with george l's)

as for what bits to use, neutrixs jacks and klotz la grange are always recommended by andi, but i am not sure if they are more for normal leads rather than small board ones

David

I use them for patch leads as well, in fact it was patch leads that started the whole thing off. Fernmeister made them for Andi first I believe. Sommer Spirit is actually easier to work with on patch leads, it's more flexible, and Klotz for stage leads.

Thanks to Andi I get them from www.studiospares.com

• Members

Originally posted by innobidova

not if you have velcro on all your pedals like you should

Velcro won't take heavy abuse, and definately won't stop TSA's from taking pedals off. I do have a ATA flight case, and I have found the TSA's paper underneath the pedals.

You guys have given some great ideas, I will look into it.

Thanks!

Archived