TS9 or 808, which is better?

andrewgil

• Members

PLease lend your opinions on both TubeScreamers and let me know what the differences are and similarities are between the two. many seem to have mixed opinions and I am looking for the one that fits what I am looking for. The more detailed the descriptions are, the better.

Those that own these pedals, please speak..............

Andrew

• Members

I've owned the following tubescreamers and their clones;

Older ts-9
newer reissue ts-9
Analogman ts-9
maxon od-9
maxon od808
Route 66
Jekyll & Hyde
Fulltone Fulldrive 2

I've tried so many others which I didn't buy, one of which is the TS808 which I compared side by side with the Maxon od-9 and a new TS9 . I found the Maxon to be less boxy sounding and the TS9 to be uninspiring. The TS 808 was much nicer, warmer, rounder, smoother, than the ts-9 though, but I ended up with the od-9 which was true bypass and more present. I had that modded by Keely a few months later which was pretty cool also, but ended up selling it in the end. Of all of these my favorite, and the one my band won't let me play without is the Maxon od 808. It just sounds like I'm playing through a naturally distorted amp and when I add it to the drive channel of my Peavey Classic 50, it tightens everything up without adding mud. Well anyway, that's my favorite. But if you're only sticking with the Ibanez brands, go for the TS808 reissue.

• Members
Originally posted by tigger_ferret

I tend to like the TS808 it is a bit warmer than the TS9 i think.

You really need to try them your self because everyone has there own opinions and there are a million different versions of these pedals out ther so don't be limited by sticking with tht ibanez ones

and what it sounds like with different guitars, amps, other pedals in line, strings, playing technique, w/band or solo, loud volume or bedroom volume, humid or dry weather, etc etc etc.

plus, if you're already hanging out here, its not like this'll be anywhere near the last OD you try :D

• Members

Originally posted by Kestral

The Maxon OD-808 sounded like crap on my Vox amp. So did the reissue TS-808.

The best one imo is the Maxon OD-9.

I felt the same when I had my marshall. But with my Peavey Classic 50, it sounds great. Odd, considering the peavey is always getting compared to a Vox. The OD-9 is great, but I hated the footswitch on it. I found it to be a little tough to switch on and off. That's one each one I tried.

• Members

Thanks, I'll keep this in mind. I also play through a Vox, it's an AC-50 though. I need to try the Maxon. My main thinking was to decide if overall, the 808 is warmer and more tube like than the TS9. I think I'm gunna go for the Burriss Boostiest. This is what the guy said about his pedal, it's a clean boost plus 808 clone,

Hi Andrew,

Yes the Boostier clean boost circuit will work well with your treble booster.

The od side IS a handmade TS-808.

There are some expanded ranges in terms of gain... it is cleaner with a low gain setting and more overdriven on the high gain setting than a standard ts808 circuit.

But the stock sound is still lives within

Thank you for your interest!

Best regards,

-Bb

I'll let the board know how it sounds once I scrounge up the money for this one.

• Members

If you play a Vox, then here are my recommendations (I play a Vox AC15tbx):

First of all, forget about the tube screamer type pedals. I don't know why but they don't work as well as other OD pedals on the Vox amp.

If you're on a very tight budget, then get a Boss SD-1. Bang for the buck you're not going to beat it.

If you're looking for the best, then imo the two to check out are the MXR Distortion II and the vintage gray DOD 250.

Given the fact that the MXR Distortion II has more controls and is less expensive than the vintage gray DOD 250, I recommend going with the MXR Distortion II.

mxr.jpg
amp.jpg

• Members

This is utter BS. Tube screamers work great with Voxes, especially the old ones. Perhaps you didn't know this but the JRC4558 chips made famous by the TS-808 is also what gives the SDD-3000 its warm sound.

For someone who spent so much on buying equipment that the Edge used, I'm surprised you didn't know the Tube Screamer is his main OD.

If you play a Vox, then here are my recommendations (I play a Vox AC15tbx):

First of all, forget about the tube screamer type pedals. I don't know why but they don't work as well as other OD pedals on the Vox amp.

• Members

Originally posted by jeverist

This is utter BS. Tube screamers work great with Voxes, especially the old ones. Perhaps you didn't know this but the JRC4558 chips made famous by the TS-808 is also what gives the SDD-3000 its warm sound.

For someone who spent so much on buying equipment that the Edge used, I'm surprised you didn't know the Tube Screamer is his main OD.

I do know, since I haved owned tube screamers before and I currently own a Korg SDD-3000. I just happen to disagree with his choice. Besides, we don't know if Edge's tube screamer has been modded or not. For all we care, it's been modified so much it no longer qualifies as a classic tube screamer. Just because Edge does it doesn't mean its necessarily what I want to do.

By the way, were is the avatar I requested with the rainbow flag, kestrel birdie and a Mullard on its head??

• Members

I realize most people here post their opinions as facts, it just gets annoying, especially when they are used to denigrate gear that others use and love.

As far as your avatar, a big ???. I didn't know you had requested one. My photoshop "skills" as it were(not being a graphic designer) aren't exactly the best, as you once pointed out.

:wave:

I do know, since I haved owned tube screamers before and I currently own a Korg SDD-3000. I just happen to disagree with his choice. Besides, we don't know if Edge's tube screamer has been modded or not. For all we care, it's been modified so much it no longer qualifies as a classic tube screamer. Just because Edge does it doesn't mean its necessarily what I want to do.

By the way, were is the avatar I requested with the rainbow flag, kestrel birdie and a Mullard on its head??

• Members

Originally posted by jeverist

Perhaps you didn't know this but the JRC4558 chips made famous by the TS-808 is also what gives the SDD-3000 its warm sound.

But the chips aren't used in the same way...the Tubescreamer is definitely EQ'd with a pretty large mid-hump. My SDD-3K doesn't have a mid-hump that I've ever noticed.

The chips probably affect the tone in both units, but the SDD-3k has something ridiculous like 30 of them in there doing various jobs...to say that's the same as the single one in a Tubescreamer is a bit off-base.

I don't really like Tubescreamers with my AC-15, either. I think it has something to do with that mid-hump. It's probably quite nice in the right context (and I'm sure a lot of people use that combo well), but it's not my thang.

I kinda like my Keeley BD-2.

• Members

Originally posted by andrewgil

hmmmmm, The mid range thing is not to my liking. Personally, I prefer bright gleaming highs and wall shaking lows. I've never been a bit fan of mids, that's one thing that I love about Vox amp knobs, no mid knob.

You might want to check out the Keeley BD-2 then. It's bright, so you'll have no trouble with your gleaming highs (and Keeley's mod makes the tone control a lot more useable so you can dial down the brightness as well). It also has a "Phat" switch to give you that extra "oomph" on the low end.

You might really like it...

Archived