GAS that died...

zhivago

• Members
Originally posted by Jeztastic

I'm gassing to replace my cheapo bargain-basement-yet-practical rig with super vintagey boutique originals.

So, instead of a Marshall Guvnor 1, a re-housed MXR preamp and a modded TS boost... I want a Zvex Super - Duper and a EH Big Muff

Instead of an MM4 I want a Boss Dimension C and VB-2, a tasty tremolo from Catalinbread or MonkeyFX, (if he's making one), and a Moon Phaser.

Instead of a DD-20, I want a AD900 and an EH DMM.

Instead of a noisy Pearl CO 04, I want a Keeley Compressor or a Analogman Bi-Comp.

Instead of a MIM Strat I want a vintage 60's rosewood strat, and instead of a 15 watt 1x12, I want an AC30 and a Super Reverb - or a Budda like Muscateds.

:(
Poor me!

:cry:

:bor:

I liked your amp!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by mrblackbat

I liked your amp!

Yeah, I like my amp too... But I am starting to miss headroom as our band gets louder. I have also had to put the original power tubes in as the old ones went... And they not as nice.

Also, EL84 amps like this one are all midrange. I was watching U2 Vertigo tour Chigago gig on telly last night, and the Edge with all his AC30s, sits right in the middle of the mix. It's cool, but limiting not being able to dig into chunky bass string runs or have nice big cleans. Ideally, I'd like a stereo rig with a low powered 6L6 amp to complement what I have already.

• Members

Yeah, I like my amp too... But I am starting to miss headroom as our band gets louder. I have also had to put the original power tubes in as the old ones went... And they not as nice.

Also, EL84 amps like this one are all midrange. I was watching U2 Vertigo tour Chigago gig on telly last night, and the Edge with all his AC30s, sits right in the middle of the mix. It's cool, but limiting not being able to dig into chunky bass string runs or have nice big cleans. Ideally, I'd like a stereo rig with a low powered 6L6 amp to complement what I have already.

Why not add a nice loud'n'clean EL34 amp too? (Hiwatt/Matamp GTO etc)

;)

• Members
Originally posted by mrblackbat

Why not add a nice loud'n'clean EL34 amp too? (Hiwatt/Matamp GTO etc)

;)

Yeah! Why not?

:thu:

Thing is, I've never tried an amp like that, so I don't have the sound in my head, as it were. I associate EL34s with Marshalls (maybe incorrectly), which, while it's a great sound, is not what I'm after...

The two sounds that I've always really been looking for are 1. the big snappy clean strat-with-fender sound, and 2. the middley complex overdriven EL84 with ES335 sound.

I don't think I'll be happy till I'm there! :D

• Members

Yeah! Why not?

:thu:

Thing is, I've never tried an amp like that, so I don't have the sound in my head, as it were. I associate EL34s with Marshalls (maybe incorrectly), which, while it's a great sound, is not what I'm after...

The two sounds that I've always really been looking for are 1. the big snappy clean strat-with-fender sound, and 2. the middley complex overdriven EL84 with ES335 sound.

I don't think I'll be happy till I'm there!
:D

I'm really bad at trying to describe soudns, but I'd put it as clean, but with balls. Instead of the really bright cleans you get from Fenders, my GTO has more bottom end and punch. Though with my Jag I can still get a nice sparkly clean out of it, just not quite as sparkly as a Twin Reverb. And I think I actually prefer that these days. Also, they break up really nice when you push 'em hard, probably not even to crunch, but somewhere just between that and proper clean. Though that might be the greenbacks a bit too, I haven't tried it with a cab with more headroom yet.

Archived