best techniques for establishing pedalboard Unity Gain?

Oakland

• Members

One of the best questions I've seen asked.

I don't have an exact method because for me, each time the overall volume is changed, say with my amp, it seems it changes for the pedals so I have to reset the volume on all of them each time.

I wish I had almost a master control that could keep them all where I want them, but sometimes if the band plays a bit louder or softer than the time before, and it always seems to work like that for whatever reason, I have to recalibrate.

• Members

Originally posted by Thelonius

I don't have an exact method because for me, each time the overall volume is changed, say with my amp, it seems it changes for the pedals so I have to reset the volume on all of them each time.

I wish I had almost a master control that could keep them all where I want them, but sometimes if the band plays a bit louder or softer than the time before, and it always seems to work like that for whatever reason, I have to recalibrate.

I appreciate this problem.

I try to keep my amp volume established.

then work from the front of the pedal chain on thru...but with 2 stage OD's, and the interplay between some boosts it gets maddening to maintain it all in a way that isn't, sometimes, mush because of a lack of whatever.

when you start tossing in pu choices and guitar vol..it can all egt SO {censored}ed up, especially when there's little time to reset if you are not happy with the results...:(

• Members

Originally posted by Oakland

when you start tossing in pu choices and guitar vol..it can all egt SO {censored}ed up, especially when there's little time to reset if you are not happy with the results...
:(

Big time I recently got a a new SG, and the p90s are so hot compared to my tele, I love playing them both but don't know how I could in the same set because I keep my amp on the edge of breakup with the tele, but I get the SG out and it's way past the point of breakup.

• Members

I'm not certain I understand the question, but if you're trying to ensure that each of your pedals give you the same level...

Maybe mic up the amp and run it into a four track, step on the pedals and check that the level indicator on the four track stays at the same point for each sound?

Personally, I like my fuzz and overdrive to boost the signal and slam the preamp a little. But then again, I crank my amp so the headroom is just about maxed and thus level boosts don't really increase volume, just sustain and saturation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I have an assortment of different guitars, with different output pickups (single vs. buckers) and I'm thinking a boost at the end of the chain can solve this problem....

use it to adjust the vol, thus letting you set the vol/gain on your pedals where you really like it...

take a 2in1, or twin60, and utilize one channel all the time..

use the second to boost for solos or more gain

• Members

i don't change anything. :) my rig stays exactly as it is from rehersal, to gig, anywhere. generally i find i can always hear myself, and if i'm too loud onstage i use something to partially block my cab. i've got a piece of board covered in foam that i can put in front of my 4x12, it covers the bottom speakers, i don't like to use it, but if i'm too loud it takes down the volme quite well... the front is painted black, and on a stage only geeks like us would notice its there...

• Members

That's where a good attenuator comes in handy. I had the same problem...once you get your input gain to where you like it, it's usually a little too loud for smaller venues.

With an attenuator I can shave off 4db and still maintain my input gain structure.

• Members

Originally posted by lowbasslowbass

Yes. This is an excellent solution. Even better, one at the beginning of the chain, one at the end of it.
:thu:

We need someone to make a dual compressor with individual in/outs in a single box (Kinda like the ZIM) so we have instrument in comp#1 -> out comp #1 -> bunch of pedals -> in comp #2-> out comp#2 to amp.

• Members

Originally posted by murtaghstyle

We need someone to make a dual compressor with individual in/outs in a single box (Kinda like the ZIM) so we have instrument in comp#1 -> out comp #1 -> bunch of pedals -> in comp #2-> out comp#2 to amp.

Yes! This is a great idea. Come on, pedal builders...make a dual compressor...wait...make a tube dual compressor...:cool:

• Members

Big time I recently got a a new SG, and the p90s are so hot compared to my tele, I love playing them both but don't know how I could in the same set because I keep my amp on the edge of breakup with the tele, but I get the SG out and it's way past the point of breakup.

what if you put a booster in your rig, then with the booster on, set you amp to your Tele. then when you pickup the SG, you turn the booster off, and then your amp would be back where it would be if you were using your Tele. would this work?

• Members

i use a clean boost pedal at the begining of my chain that allmost allways stays on

that way it is really easy to set unity gain on the other peds comp->overdrive->and modulation pedals

after the modulation pedals but befor my delay i use an ernie ball volume pedal so i have a master vol control on everything

another easy solution would be to purchase or make a looper truebypass strip (one with volume controls on certain loops) so you could isolate those particular effects that are hard to dial the volume on

these guys make a solution for you and you could call them to explain your need both do custom orders for a reasonable price

http://www.loooper.com/

http://www.loop-master.com/

Archived