Gig tomorrow night......

mrblackbat

• Members

This is the first gig for a long time that I'm actually nervous about. Think it's cause there's so many new things that are untested, and I don't wanna get egg on my face!

Run the set about 5 times through without the PC glitching or any major problems, and the balance of all the prgramming seems to be fine, but I just have this nagging doubt that it's all going to go wrong.....

:(

• Members

PC? Are you running a "one man show" type of deal??? If so, here's an idea...just as a backup in case you find yourself in a situation where everything goes wrong and you have to reboot/reload programs have a CD of some original/obscure drum loops or filler music in a discman set up to the mixer to keep the audiences attention while you debug the problem. At least there won't be dead silence during the down time. This way you won't feel as pressured and rushed if something should go wrong.

Just curious, what are you running on the PC? is it a full sized PC or laptop?

Good luck!

• Members
Originally posted by IndofunkCity

Awesome! Good luck, man! How's the new drummer working out?

I like Markie's suggestion, though with a live drummer he'll be able to hold something down if you need to debug...

Good luck!

The new drummer IS the pc...... :(

I've got a cd backup with all the programming on the right channel and the click on the left. Or is it the other way round.....?

• Members
Originally posted by mrblackbat

The new drummer IS the pc......
:(

I've got a cd backup with all the programming on the right channel and the click on the left. Or is it the other way round.....?

Could'a swored you decided to get a live drummer ...

*shrug*

Should work out real well. Give the CD (or a copy) to the soundguy so if your comp goes totally balls-up you can cue the soundguy to hit it.

Tell us all about it tomorrow :)

• Members

Originally posted by Biz Markie

PC? Are you running a "one man show" type of deal??? If so, here's an idea...just as a backup in case you find yourself in a situation where everything goes wrong and you have to reboot/reload programs have a CD of some original/obscure drum loops or filler music in a discman set up to the mixer to keep the audiences attention while you debug the problem. At least there won't be dead silence during the down time. This way you won't feel as pressured and rushed if something should go wrong.

Just curious, what are you running on the PC? is it a full sized PC or laptop?

Good luck!

It's a full sized desktop PC (see sig for hardware details). At the moment, we're a two piece, me on vox and guitar duties, and a bassist. We DID have a drummer but he quit a couple of weeks ago.

Running mostly audio files dumped down from Reason and a few soft synths; and midi sequences to my Nord. Was only synth stuff beforehand, but now got programmed drums following the drummers departure.

Have two stereo output buses, and one mono; stereos for synths and drums then mono for click.

At the moment, in ear monitoring is through a headphone amp and cables, cause I can't afford a wireless system....

• Members
Originally posted by IndofunkCity

Could'a swored you decided to get a live drummer ...

*shrug*

Should work out real well. Give the CD (or a copy) to the soundguy so if your comp goes totally balls-up you can cue the soundguy to hit it.

Tell us all about it tomorrow
:)

I've got a few potentials lined up, but they weren't able to rehearse in time for this gig.

I've got the cd plugged into the AI on a hardware controlled monitor setting, so even if the PC crashes it'll still go through the mixer section. So, backup will be a finger press away.....

I'll let you know Monday how it went, won't be back online til then.

• Members

Well, it went really well; as well as could be expected.

The PC worked super smooth, no hiccups at all. The only thing I had to do was rig up some mono outputs for the drums as they only had three inputs available! (?)

It went down pretty well too, got people dancing and everyone seemed to dig it.

Had a couple of people ask why we had no drummer, and the promoter called told us we've got some balls to do a gig like that with just the two of us, but all said, I'm really pleased.

Still wanna find a live drummer, but I'm definitely keeping all the programming in, including a lot of the drum tracks!

• Members
Originally posted by bieke

good to hear it all went well,

when my band gigs, the drummer operates the computer

it's a very dangerous combination

well, I had to leave it all in the hands of my brother (bassist) which is nearly as bad..... :p

But yeah, it went well, no hitches at all, and everything sounded pretty good out front in terms of balance etc during sound check.

So fingers crossed we can keep playing until we find the right drummer!

Archived