This girl I hang out with

RoboPimp

• Members

well, my wife actually... she wants me to give her guitar lessons... I think she might have the hots for me... or at least hook me up with some of her friends.

seriously - she wants to learn guitar but I have no idea how to show her...

I drew up some little "tabbed" chords, the basic open ones on the end.

I taught her the chords to a pink floyd song...

I've never had a "lesson" myself so I don't really have a idea how to show her what to do.

She also is learning to play the drums... so now I gotta buy a drum set...

:wave:

• Members

I've showed a few friends the basics.

In my opinion, 99% of the people starting, especially if they're older than 17 or 18 or so, probably won't stick with it. So I always go for the high reward/little effort thing.

Simple chords, easy strumming.

Old Johnny Cash songs are perfect.

Women might be tougher, just because I think they have a harder time with the finger strength.

It's actually kind of fun, because after playing for a certain amount of time, it's easy to think that just anybody could pick up a guitar and play a C shord, if you showed them were to put their fingers -- not true.

• Members
Originally posted by jcn37203

I've showed a few friends the basics.

In my opinion, 99% of the people starting, especially if they're older than 17 or 18 or so, probably won't stick with it. So I always go for the high reward/little effort thing.

So true, I used to have 5 guitar students (2 female) and they were all quitters. And especially the 2 girls had a hard time with gripping chords.
They all have this attitude like "o.k., I'm gonna spend 1 hour with you and if I walk out I wanna be able to play Nothing Else Matters well". :rolleyes:

And the 1 guy that had potential stopped showing up for no apparent reason. I mean, he *was* enjoying the lessons and I helped him buying a new guitar + amp. :(:confused:

• Members

vin diesel wouldn't show his wife open chords first.

however i tried this with my grilfriend. find something easy you both like and teach her the simple melody and then start with open chords
Em->G
Am->C

12 bar blues and intervals (CFG becomes ADE becomes DAG). simple shuffles in E and A.

easy basslines

simplified beatles songs. johnny cash was a good suggestion too, but a lot of that is alternating bass so i would just teach the open chords. dylan songs.

anything with major or minor open chords in C or G, then D, E. makes life easier

• Members

Originally posted by ginnboonmiller

The good news is that she can save money on that pedal that makes her sound like a talentless hack for a while...

I taught myself guitar, too -- do you remember the first couple things you figured out? I do. Start with that and let her play around for a while. It worked for us.

GBM, I'm guessing you had a little bit of a theory background like I did when I first got started. It works differently for us. I don't teach beginners anymore because I find it to be a tedious, thankless process. I feel like I'm teaching algebra to somebody who doesn't understand addition.

Archived