GAS, somebody help me, I need an intervention.

• Members

Issues I had with it as a beta tester - sub oscillators are broken;

Originally posted by idiotboy

How so? They seem to work for me.

Pretty gross. Andromeda is capable of much more. It takes longer to program something up from scratch than the average synth, but I think these requirements (good mood, good day, etc) are overstated.

Take any analog synth with a sub-oscillator (SH-101 will do fine). Listen to the main oscillator playing. Now bring up the sub-oscillator level. What you hear is the main osc + the sub combining for a bigger/fatter sound because of the imprecision and the octave difference.

On the A6 turn on one oscillator. Now bring up it's sub-oscillator level. What you hear is the pitch of the single oscillator changing until it's now 1 octave down. You still hear a single oscillator, not two. Check it with an oscilloscope and watch the waveform change. Because of the way the derived the sub, you don't get the addition like on other analogs. You get the exact same result by just dropping the pitch of the main oscillator down an octave.

BTW - I was able to create some OK patches on it (in fact my Blue Glass patch was mentioned in the Keyboard review of the A6 many moons ago), but given the amount of time I was spending testing the synth and trying to create patches, the output of stuff I was happy with was much lower than with many other synths.

Tom

• Members
Originally posted by Henway_piano

I'm looking forward to the arrival of my Andy around the 16th, I'll know more with a tracking number.
:D:):cool:

where did you order your andy from? I've ordered one too but the wait times for stock is crazy, as most retailers have been waiting for stock since the beginning of the year. I contacted Alesis to see what the hold up is and apparently its because of the introduction of the ROHS (reduction of hazardous substances) compliance laws and also due to the high demand of the Ion.

My current Andy ETA is mid October however I was originally told the end of September.

Ive got GAS really bad and only the Andy can cure it!!!:D

• Members
Originally posted by tmoravan

My (gross generalization) summary of the A6 sound - if you're in a good mood, on a good day, with some decent patches playing, it reminds you of the Oberheim Xpander/Matrix 12. Most of the time it's sounding more like a Matrix 1000.

Tom

Thanks Tom, great effort. I'll be sure that if I ever go to AA, I'll have you as my sponsor. :)

I'm not sure that it would have been enough to stop me from buying the Andy.

The guy that sold me the Andy replaced it with an Omega 8. He played some stuff over the phone for me...HOLY CRAP!!!

If you get a chance check it out: http://www.studioelectronics.com/products_omega8.php#1

I guess if I end up not liking the Andy, someone in the forum will take it off my hands....

• Members

"[DEVIL MIND CONTROL] do it, do it, do it, do it now henway do it now, you know you want it....it'll get you laid.... maybe even the presidency.... turn the oval office into a studio....[/DEVIL MIND CONTROL]"

Bill Clinton had an Andy .... it almost got him laid .... just couldn't handle those LFOs.....

King George II could use one .... arguably it would be a more creative use for the Oval Office about now ....

Enjoy, and post some clips for us, hm?

• Members
Originally posted by lawst

where did you order your andy from?

Ive got GAS really bad and only the Andy can cure it!!!
:D

This is where I bought it: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=009&item=190018166779&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

After a lengthly phone conversation with the guy, I'm confident it will arrive....:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by Dejavoodoo

Enjoy, and post some clips for us, hm?

If I could just quit this stupid "sell out" of a vintage rock cover band that sucks up so much of my time.

I have a hard time getting my gear to stay in one place long enough to record something of any substance.

I've made a pact with myself to spend more being creative. Sure playing prog rock covers is fun, but ultimately leads nowhere and obstructs creativity....

I've owned just about every piece of vintage gear there is with a very few exceptions. I've really had GAS for the CS-80. I owned the 50, 60 and 70M and knew the 80 was on the horizon. Thankfully Mrcpro slapped some sense into me and pointed me toward the Andy as a viable substitute....

I've wanted an Andy ever since they first came out....

• Members

If I could just quit this stupid "sell out" of a vintage rock cover band that sucks up so much of my time.

I know what you mean. After mulling it over for weeks, I finally quit a classic rock band just like that. We had hired a great female lead singer, but the guitarist/leader/dictator-for-life just wanted her to sing stuff like "Smoke on the Water", "Brown Sugar", "Melissa" .... in other words, he wanted a male lead. Fair enough, but why hire the female?

He also was verbally abusive to his wife in front of the rest of the band. I figured that only the "r" came between berating and beating, so I called the lead singer and we split the band. Best thing we ever did. I have more time to record now, and she and I do very well playing dinner music at local restaurants.

Nothing wrong with a hiatus for your own projects!

RWO

• Members

Oh, just go and buy it already!!!

Or better yet, if you have the option, rent it for a month, and see if you'll really use it, before you shell out the cash for that badboy!

But then, if you don't buy it, Johnny will give you a piece of his mind!

cashfinger.jpg

• Members
Originally posted by blue halo

Oh, just go and buy it already!!!

But then, if you don't buy it, Johnny will give you a piece of his mind!

cashfinger.jpg

I bought it....:D Thanks to the forum for all of the effort.

As for Johnny, I always thought if you were gonna' give someone the finger, you should do so like you hold the copyright to it....:eek:

Johnny looks like HE invented that bad boy....;)

• Members

I bought it....
Thanks to the forum for all of the effort.

As for Johnny, I always thought if you were gonna' give someone the finger, you should do so like you hold the copyright to it....
:eek:

Johnny looks like HE invented that bad boy....
;)

Well, since he's dead, if he did own it, it would be public domain now! :D Also, if he did own it, I would have been up to my ears in infringement charges! There are more pictures of me giving the finger than there are otherwise! :eek:

Hope you enjoy your new Andy! :thu:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Well it was only a week and a half late, but my Andy finally arrived....:love:

Just like the seller said, in brand new condition....

This thing sounds frickin' awesome, real "take over the mix" huge like my Memorymoog was....:eek:

I'm off to go play the hell out of it....:cool:

Many thanks to idiotboy, pighood, mrcpro, theFoosa, kooki_sf, mildbill, Dejavoodoo, blue halo....

You guys RAWK....:thu:

Now I've got a feng shui problem....:DIMG_1381.jpg
I didn't even have time to hook everything up, just power and headphones....:cool:

• Members

Well it was only a week and a half late, but my Andy finally arrived....
:love:

Just like the seller said, in brand new condition....

This thing sounds frickin' awesome, real "take over the mix" huge like my Memorymoog was....
:eek:

I'm off to go play the hell out of it....
:cool:

Many thanks to idiotboy, pighood, mrcpro, theFoosa, kooki_sf, mildbill, Dejavoodoo, blue halo....

You guys RAWK....
:thu:

I didn't even have time to hook everything up, just power and headphones....
:cool:

SWEET SETUP!:thu: :thu: :thu: :thu: :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by tmoravan

My (gross generalization) summary of the A6 sound - if you're in a good mood, on a good day, with some decent patches playing, it reminds you of the Oberheim Xpander/Matrix 12. Most of the time it's sounding more like a Matrix 1000.

Matrix 1000 ?!? Xpander?!?

bwa hahahaha ha

man, i wanna try whatever poison you're using, it must be good..

Henway - congratulations !!!

• Members
Originally posted by clusterchord

Matrix 1000 ?!? Xpander?!?

bwa hahahaha ha

man, i wanna try whatever poison you're using, it must be good..

Henway - congratulations !!!

The Matrix-12, Xpander, and 1000 are all good synths....

There's stuff on the Andy that surpasses them. I say this having owned a M-12, M-6, and M1K for a long time.....:D

• Members

The Matrix-12, Xpander, and 1000 are all good synths....

There's stuff on the Andy that surpasses them. I say this having owned a M-12, M-6, and M1K for a long time.....

sure. but my post does not deal with "which is better", just the fact that andromeda sounds nothing like Xpander or especially the M1000, which ain't in the class of these two.

i do agree w Moravansky that andromeda wont exactly replace some of the vintages. not jupiter, but especially not CEM-based stuff like Rev3 or OBXa. but that's beside the point, as its a unique synth in its own right, that no other can even begin to try to imitate..

Archived