Keeley Katana Boost .vs Sagrado Poblano Picoso

• Members

both great. you can't go wrong. sorry I don't have much more than that to add, but so much is rig dependent/ear dependent.

I doubt one is "better" than the other, but one may be better for a particular rig or player. I have the Katana but i wouldn't hesitate to buy a Catalinbread effect.

• Members

Originally posted by jonny guitar

I have a Katana and I couldn't be happier with the tone. Robert treated me like a God when I had a problem with the one that I purchased second hand....friggin unbelievable service!!!!!
:thu:

Well, your Jimi tattoo more or less does make you god yo.

:o

• Members

Originally posted by jimihalen

How's Denver? Haven't been back in a few years....

It is great IMO. Now that the big rush of the '90's has subsided. Personally, I cant think of anywhere else I would live in the US.

Could use some more snow though, winters are pretty lame last few years.

Sounds like I will be getting the Katana.

Thanks guys.

• Members

One is a Jack Orman design, ala-Mini Booster (I hope I have the name right!) the other one, the Katana, is simple 2 stage JFET design. Like two 18V LPB-1 pedals but made with FETs and of much better parts and build quality.

Jack's is taken from app notes and then made a real-world device instead of just "this should work fine". Mine is simple chapter one dumb brute force with an 18 volt charge pump....okay 16.5 volts...

• Members

Originally posted by Next to Nothing

It is great IMO. Now that the big rush of the '90's has subsided. Personally, I cant think of anywhere else I would live in the US.

Could use some more snow though, winters are pretty lame last few years.

broncos will go down in SD

• Members

Originally posted by RossCompress

One is a Jack Orman design, ala-Mini Booster (I hope I have the name right!) the other one, the Katana, is simple 2 stage JFET design. Like two 18V LPB-1 pedals but made with FETs and of much better parts and build quality.

Jack's is taken from app notes and then made a real-world device instead of just "this should work fine". Mine is simple chapter one dumb brute force with an 18 volt charge pump....okay 16.5 volts...

Not the Mini-Booster (which I think was the name for the dual FET mu-amp arrangement Jack has in his "Analog Music Projects v1.1; Mini-booster Issue") It is more like the Mosfet Booster. Something like this:

http://www.muzique.com/schem/mosfet.htm

• Members

Howdy Robert!

Question.... what is the Katana doing when the knob is pulled out? Same 'simple brute force', or is something else added to it?

Take care,

-- Joe

• Members

Originally posted by Ty Gerhardt

I have 2 Katanas in my rig...one at the beginning of my pedal chain (but after the fuzz) and one at the end of my pedal chain.

I couldn't be happier with mine.
:)

that's what I'm talkin about!!

maybe he should make a 2-in-1 version of his pedal ;) ...

• Members

correct me if I am wrong Catalinbread, but I find that the SPP gets pretty gritty pretty easily. By about 2 o'clock on the boost I am getting grit and growl... from a 100w tonemaster with the volume at about 3.5. So it is not a uberclean boost the I assume the Katana is. It is called a "Stout boost" for a reason. And it kicks ass.

• Members

Originally posted by Kriegsemann

correct me if I am wrong Catalinbread, but I find that the SPP gets pretty gritty right pretty early. So it is not a uberclean boost the I assume the Katana is. It is called a "Stout boost" for a reason. And it kicks ass.

It is not supposed to be a clean boost nope. Thus probably should be ommited.

Here is the thing I have been rolling in my head over all night last night. Robert you call the voltage pump "brute force"... If you can integrate a charge pump in a clean boost while also keeping artifacts of proximity and routing hidden that is quite a degree of finesse!

Brute force is using two batteries or specialized adapter. :p

• Members

Originally posted by GorillaLover

that's what I'm talkin about!!

maybe he should make a 2-in-1 version of his pedal
;)

As long it has separate in's and out's for each channel.

I have two because some overdrives and distortions sound best with a boost in front of them and some sound best with a boost after them.

For instance...the Klon and the Keeley Modded Blues Driver are fairly similar in function in that they are a non-compressed style overdrive (in other words, they aren't TS clones).

However when you push a Klon with a clean boost in front of it, it sounds amazing...put the same clean boost after it and it's not as sweet.

The Keeley modded Blues driver on the other hand sounds OK with a clean boost in front of it, but it seems to be much happier with a clean boost after it.

It's good to experiment with clean boost placement as it can really make a huge difference in shaping your sound when used in conjunction with other pedals.

That's why I like to have a clean boost at the beginning and at the end of my signal chain...so I can get the best results out of a pedal when I boost it.

• Members

Catalinbread, I think I might learn my lesson of guessing and posting one of these days soon.... Dude, sorry if I said anything at all wrong about the design. Trust me, I know nothing and apologize for sure!

The brute force was applied to just the simple series JFET parts to get enough voltage gain. Jack and many of the texts I have say a better way would have been to use a FET and then a BJT after it. THEN, I wouldn't have had to use a voltage doubler! Seems funny I would go through the trouble...but sometimes you just want to do things your own way and you want to experiment with something other than what the books say!

Noise from the charge pump has not been a problem for me yet. I think it might be luck or just a close reading of the design notes, but whatever it is, I don't seem to have problems at all. And no problems mentioned from users...sometimes you never know until a guy is touring on stage night after night that there is a specific, peculiar noise problem, artifact, or occurance.

Great to hear from you Ty!

I agree with your pedal chain recommondations for sure!

There are some I talk about until people puke, one is the TS9/Rat relationship....two very different sounds...and the BD2 or DS-1 followed by a TS9 circuit.

Several pros (I think George Thoroughgood and maybe Brooks and Dunn by way of TMB and Katana) use the Katana in two positions... one as a distortion booster (early in the chain) ...one as a tube pusher (That's a guy standing on the corner that tries to get you hooked on tubes until you're robbing wine stores for your habit...)

• Members

Catalinbread, I think I might learn my lesson of guessing and posting one of these days soon.... Dude, sorry if I said anything at all wrong about the design. Trust me, I know nothing and apologize for sure!

:confused: Well hopefully you didn't take me wrong. I have only experimented with those 7660 for such a purpose. I can't even get that thing to shut up if I move it to a separate breadboard! :p

• Members

Originally posted by Next to Nothing

I a thinking the Katana is the way to go from what I have read, but I was wondering what the experts here have to say about these two pedals compared?

I have heard the Katana, sounds wonderful. I have only 'heard' great things about the Picoso.

Thoughts?

check and see if guitarx has one, could be playing one tonight!

• Members

Originally posted by catalinbread

Not the Mini-Booster (which I think was the name for the dual FET mu-amp arrangement Jack has in his "Analog Music Projects v1.1; Mini-booster Issue") It is more like the Mosfet Booster. Something like this:

Isn't that the circuit you used for the SCP?

How does the SPP differ?

Archived