How long does it take to build a BYOC kit?

univox5138

• Members

Depends how good you are at soldering and painting. I'd say if you weren't painting the enclosure you could get it done in one night (say, 6pm to 11pm as an example). Painting it would take at least a weekend though waiting for paint to dry, and if you're going all out on it with custom designs n stuff and know what you're doing, be prepared to work on it varying amounts every day if you want to get done in a week.

• Members

Originally posted by Shamuspizzbutt

Assembly for mine have always been an evening at most. Finishing and letting coats of paint dry completely could seriously extend the build time though.

I've built three, the Rangemaster was a one evening project and I did the Tremelo and Delay both on the same Saturday afternoon. Enclosure finishing can take an hour or several days depending on what you want to do.

• Members

Originally posted by ThomasD

I use quick dry primer and Krylon Short Cuts because they come in small cans and I don't end up with alot of unused paints lying around.

In the summer I bake them in the oven, in the winter I leave them on the manifold of the furnace.

Cool thanks for your input. :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by The_Spice

where do you guys buy paints for them? Is it something that a hardware store would carry or is it more of a hobby shop sort of thing?

Home Depot or Lowes.

Any brand of spray enamel will do. Some people also use what's called hammerite paint, which has kind of a textured look and comes in different colors.

• Members

So if I wanted to make stripes or some kind of different colors on my pedal, could I buy spray paints and just tape off the parts I didn't want painted, or do I need to buy liquid paint for pedals? I've already bought some decal paper, spray enamel and etching spray (though I'm not sure what the etching spray is for, it was recommended), but I have no paint yet. Can you buy either small cans of small or spray paints for a metal enclosure? What about painting the stomp switch?

• Members

Originally posted by IAmAScientist

So if I wanted to make stripes or some kind of different colors on my pedal, could I buy spray paints and just tape off the parts I didn't want painted, or do I need to buy liquid paint for pedals? I've already bought some decal paper, spray enamel and etching spray (though I'm not sure what the etching spray is for, it was recommended), but I have no paint yet.

Yeah, you can buy small cans, but the bigger cans aren't that much more expensive. I bought blue painters tape when I painted stripes on the enclosure for my fuzzface clone. The painter's tape works great and won't leave a sticky residue.

Originally posted by IAmAScientist

What about painting the stomp switch?

Why would you wanna do that? Paint the enclosure first, then put all the electronics in it, including the stomp switch.

• Members

i used mostly revell email paint, revell builts die casts modell kits and offers also paint and airbrush...

did some diecast models before and had all the old stuff.

its great you get paint in every toy store, and you only have to buy small cans, and you get a lot of different colors.

might not be the best, but works fine for me

for building, it takes a couple of hours, not much, but take your time and be carefull, if you make mistakes you might find yourself in hours of troubleshooting.

yeah the finishing part is the one which takes time, and it depends on what you want to do. to shorten the time i use the oven to try them quicker, but still a normal 2 color + clear coat paint job does take one and a half day of waiting.

one thing i don't like about BYOC is the power connector. it has the screw inside, so if it is soldered you cannot unscrew it again without unsoldering first. not like the rest of connectors, leds pots and switches.

this means, you mostly need to finish the paint job before you do the final powersupply soldering -> which mean this is the first chance of testing, unless you want to unsolder the powersupply again, which is a pitty cause it is damn small and not the easiest solder part :(

• Members

take your time and be carefull, if you make mistakes you might find yourself in hours of troubleshooting.

+1,000,000

Wound up building 2 perfectly good 4ms phaseurs this way. Both had the very tiniest solder bridge in just the wrong spot. Oh well.

Live and Don't Learn, that's my Motto.

Archived