How do you run your effects loop?

Anal Log

• Members

I'm just wondering, those of you who chose to use some of your pedals in the effects loop, how do you do it?

1. Run two extra cables back to your amp.

Pros: You can see your effects, use tap tempo on Delay, adjust settings without leaving your board, everything is in the same place.

Cons: Increased signal length

2. Use a device such as the Monkey FX Otter Shocker.

Pros: Minimal signal length. Still have control of your effects.

Cons: You lose tap tempo, unless you run a seperate pedal as well. (providing the pedal you're using supports that), two different 'control centers' for changing settings on the fly.

3. Run short leads and have the effects near your amp.

Pros: Minimal signal length.

Cons: Two different pedal boards in two different places. Could make for some fancy footwork.

4. Don't use FX Loop, run them all in front.

Pros: 'Normal' signal length, everything in one place.

Cons: Some effects may not be utilized to their full potential.

5. Some other way that I haven't thought of. :)

• Members

Another option is to use a Midi controlled switcher like GCX or GRX4 and use a midi floorboard. Rack your pedals and place the rack near your amp. The only long cable you deal with is the midi cable between the foot controller and the switcher. Price $400

• Members

Originally posted by Anal Log

4. Don't use FX Loop, run them all in front.

Pros: 'Normal' signal length, everything in one place.

Cons: Some effects may not be utilized to their full potential.

Personally, I think it more a case of not using my amp to it's full potential. Once you've committed to running your pedals into the front of your amp though, you can use virtually any amp that gets a clean sound and still get "your tone". I've bought a couple of great sounding clean amps and use pedals to get all my dirt and I haven't looked back.

• Members
Originally posted by dot-dot-dot

That's covered by number 2.
:)

The otter shocker is very cool. A remote relay system is different than a midi based system, so I figured that I would offer an alternative to the concept of remote pedal control. Midi is what I use, as it allows for a combination of pedal effects routing, rack effects control and, amp feature control in one package.

• Members

Originally posted by Rob Eadgbe

Personally, I think it more a case of not using my amp to it's full potential. Once you've committed to running your pedals into the front of your amp though, you can use virtually any amp that gets a clean sound and still get "your tone". I've bought a couple of great sounding clean amps and use pedals to get all my dirt and I haven't looked back.

werd

• Members

I use an effects loop if I got one. The cables are short for practice and I use longer ones to get the pedal board on the front of the stage for gigs.

Effects loops are a bit of a pain with the extra too cables, but they are worth it IMO. Especially if you are using on board amp distortion.

• Members
Originally posted by Axeymoron

The otter shocker is very cool. A remote relay system is different than a midi based system, so I figured that I would offer an alternative to the concept of remote pedal control. Midi is what I use, as it allows for a combination of pedal effects routing, rack effects control and, amp feature control in one package.

Aye - if you have rack units too then MIDI offers a lot more control in one package. Essentially, though, the GCX loop systems are the same sort of thing, only a bit more clever inside! ;)

• Members

My Boogie amp has a parallel FX loop with a blend control, and I have my MagicVibe in the loop dialed in as 75% effected signal and 25% dry signal, and it sounds heavenly. It sounds good in front of the amp, but in the FX loop it sounds even better. I connect it to the loop via two 6" Gold Monster Cables, and it sits on top of my amp. It is my only pedal, so it also lets me run my SG straight into my amp with a 12' Monster Gold Cable and with the high quality cables, short leads and the pedal being true bypass, I get a very good & clean signal path. I have a bad leg, so I sit while I play, and I just reach over and activate the pedal by hand (I'm pretty quick at it). I am really happy with my tone.........

Archived