Boss Blues Driver!

KjStrat62

• Members

The Boss BD-2 seems to be a nice pedal stock. Has a little more bite than the DS-1 and has some low end. I plan on sending the pedal to Keeley for his Phat Mod.I am pleasantly suprised on the sound of this pedal.Traditionally Boss pedals are nice except the od's and distortions seem not to work in live situations. I have heard the Keeley phat mod is great. Anyone compare the two?? Stock and mod.

• Members

Originally posted by KjStrat62

Traditionally Boss pedals are nice except the od's and distortions seem not to work in live situations.

that's the goofiest thing I've heard all day... how did you come up with that idea?

boss makes some great OD and dist. pedals and yes the BD is one of them.

• Members

Originally posted by camerashake

How so? I used to be a big fan of the BD-2 (STOCK, not modded), and having been considering getting one again. I'd be curious to know what's different/better in the Digitech...

I'm pretty sure Digitech based the SB on the BD-2 as they sound very similar.

The Digitech has slightly smoother overdrive to my ears. And,the seperate bass/treble controls offer a wider range of EQ than the single TONE knob of the Boss.

The Digitech also has the cab simulation feature which can come in handy for recording or if your amp craps out at a gig you could go straight to the PA with it.

I prefer the switches and reliability of Boss pedals,but for a pedal that sells for about $50 bucks the SB is a real winner:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by TheGZeus,OnFire

I don't think they sound similar at all.

Well,all I can say is that I have both pedals. When I did a side by side comparison with the gain set at 12:00 and the EQ's matched up it took a good five minutes of switching back and forth between them before I could start to hear a difference. As mentioned,the SB has slightly smoother,less fizzy overdrive and the BD-2 has a bit sharper midrange to my ears. I think both pedals are very good but the Digitech has found a home on my pedalboard and I only use the Boss occaisionly for a higher gain sound.

• Members

Well because of this thread I went over to GC and checked out a Digitech Screamin' Blues. I liked it, I bought it (it certainly was cheap enough). I brought it home, and plugged it into the chain of my rather large pedalboard.

I currently have an Ibanez TS-9 and a TS-9DX (both Keeley modded on my board). The TS-9 I use for thich, high gain, LP into a Mesa Mark II and Mark IV rhythm sound. I was using the TS9DX for mild dirt, but it's always sounded I tad muddy. This Digitech is much clearer sounding. It almost has a BBE exciter thing about it.

I've tried the Boss BD-2, stock and Keeley modded, it was a bit to fizzy for me either way. But this SB seems like a keeper. I've got a gig tomorrow night, that will be the true test.

• Members

Originally posted by orourke

Well because of this thread I went over to GC and checked out a Digitech Screamin' Blues. I liked it, I bought it (it certainly was cheap enough). I brought it home, and plugged it into the chain of my rather large pedalboard.

I currently have an Ibanez TS-9 and a TS-9DX (both Keeley modded on my board). The TS-9 I use for thich, high gain, LP into a Mesa Mark II and Mark IV rhythm sound. I was using the TS9DX for mild dirt, but it's always sounded I tad muddy. This Digitech is much clearer sounding. It almost has a BBE exciter thing about it.

I've tried the Boss BD-2, stock and Keeley modded, it was a bit to fizzy for me either way. But this SB seems like a keeper. I've got a gig tomorrow night, that will be the true test.

I'm sure it'll sound great. I've had mine since they came out and it continues to impress me.

• Members

Originally posted by mrmikers

the SB has slightly smoother,less fizzy overdrive and the BD-2 has a bit sharper midrange to my ears. I think both pedals are very good but the Digitech has found a home on my pedalboard and I only use the Boss occaisionly for a higher gain sound.

Those are thing things I like about the BD-2 - the sharp attack, it's dynamic nature, and the amount of gain available.... I'll probably still check out the Digitech, sooner or later.

• Members

I may be wrong, but isn't the Screaming Blues actually one of the old DOD pedals re-badged? Mystic Blues or something like that? In which case it would pre-date the BD-2.

Leaving aside that rather irrelevant sidetrack, I personally hate the BD-2 and agree with the sentiment that Boss dirt boxes are amongst their weakest pedals. The BF-2 is a horrible excuse for a flanger though. Playing a modded BD-2 with a Strat is a horrible mix of ice pick highs and booming bass, with no mids at all. Might work better with humbuckers and/or dark amplifiers.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
Originally posted by RoboPimp

that's the goofiest thing I've heard all day... how did you come up with that idea?

boss makes some great OD and dist. pedals and yes the BD is one of them.
[/QUOTe

Point taken wrong. Did not explain . I was meaning the Boss pedals such as the Boss MT-2 Metal zone. MD-2 Mega Distortion etc. Meaning these are good bedroom pedals but in a live situation not good!!

Archived