distortion

harmonix

• Members

hi,

i do already boost my AC30 with a TS -

now i'm looking for a smooth, modern sounding

but cheap distortion pedal for some power chord passages

and lead sounds. any idea?

what comes in my mind is boss sd-1/2, rat, mxr a.s.o.

what about the cheapos? dan-o fab, johnson, digi, nobels...

any experiences?

• Members

Definitely not an SD-1. It's not quite the same, but it's close enough to a tubescreamer that having both would be redundant.

Unless of course you want to cascade them, which will give you a nice smooth, sustaining sound that might fit the bill. That way you could have two variations on that TS sound you're already using, plus the gainier two-at-once sound.

I use a Vox Valvetone, which is pretty close to a Tubescreamer design, but true bypass. I like it a lot. I also have a DS-1, which I don't generally think plays well with the amps I've tried it with, a ZOOM PD-01 which is good, but very noisy at higher gain settings, and a Dano FAB Distortion which is quite bright and ragged-sounding, which is not a bad thing, but might not be a good mix with your AC30.

• Members

...just to make clear- that exactly is the problem:
to find a distortion that fits the vox!
for instance a rat, sd or similar would probably not work very well- it is already a bit wobbly in the low end as the vox also is because of the rectifier tube-
so palm muting or fast notes on the low strings would sound terrible...
so in my imagination there must be something that i'd use in addition to the ts9 - something very tight and modern that would create a fat but still defined distortion...
digitech gets some good reviews for their hot head and grunge pedals- but i'm still quite lost 'cos we'll start recording in a few days, i really need that sound for it and i have no clue...

Archived