OT: The Rolling Stones Altamont

zinzin

• Members

watched the DVD "gimmie shelter" last weekend. watching that altamont concert was really really scary ... its so surreal, all that danger in the air and the band that plays on with mick dancing between sadness, rage and ecstasy ... really scary ...

but isn't sympathy for the devil a killer tune how they played it? wonderful! i luv that tone right now!

when they play under my thumb you can feel the desperation ... "i pray that it's allright ..."

what a touchy film, but no ... i didn't cry :D

• Members

Excellent version of Under my Thumb.
It is a scary film. I haven't seen it in a while, a friend ran off with mine.
Supposedly the Dead, and the other bands did not want to announce the Stones were on the bill,
because they knew it would get out of hand. The Stones manager "let it slip" because he wanted a ton of people there for the film, which proved to be a dissaster.

What about what Tina Turner does to that microphone?

• Members
Originally posted by zinzin

watched the DVD "gimmie shelter" last weekend. watching that altamont concert was really really scary ... its so surreal, all that danger in the air and the band that plays on with mick dancing between sadness, rage and ecstasy ... really scary ...

but isn't sympathy for the devil a killer tune how they played it? wonderful! i luv that tone right now!

when they play under my thumb you can feel the desperation ... "i pray that it's allright ..."

what a touchy film, but no ... i didn't cry
:D

The stabbing occured during "Under My Thumb", iirc. Can you see anything happen in the movie?

• Members

Kinda-M+K are @ (filmaker brothers) the Maylses editing bay, and they're showing the stabbing in slo-mo, back and forth. If you liked the movie, there's a guy named Stanley Boothe who traveled w/the Stones before the Altamont gig, while they were recording Let it bleed, ect. Wrote a book (was originally called "Dance w/ the Devil." )since re-named and easily available. Covers a lot of stories @ the bands early days, and '69+'70. Great read for any Stones fan. And when the weather gets warm here (in L.A.) and when you're traveling Sunset, Laurel Canyon, or past CBS studios, it's eeriely easy to imagine it all....

• Members

I've seen parts on documentaries, but never the whole thing. I'd buy it on DVD, but it's super expensive, like $50, because it's a Criterion Edition.

I have cocksucker blues though on VHS.

That's the one thing that sucks about the Stones, no good DVD's of the Mick Taylor days live (aka my favourite stones era), with an honourable mention to the late brian jones era.

Yeah there's some stuff on the DVD, but like what seven songs or something right? not much.

• Members

Originally posted by clayton explode

I've seen parts on documentaries, but never the whole thing. I'd buy it on DVD, but it's super expensive, like $50, because it's a Criterion Edition.

Yeah there's some stuff on the DVD, but like what seven songs or something right? not much.

i got the dvd through ebay for about 10 euros.

yeah, not to much music on the dvd, but that's not what it is about. though i just have to repeat myself, under my thumb and sympathy for the devil are performed amazingly.

and you can clearly see everything in the slo-mo: the gun, the stabbing ...

Archived