Toadworks

ninja of love

• Members

I have the REDUX, great pedal in sonics, a adaptor is a must, NOT a option, it will eat them in a blink.....Ryan needs to put more time into the paint finish end of his pedals. I have had 2 REDUX's & both had subpar paint finish. It would not take much to fix that part of Ryan's company. again the pedal is amazing sonically & does it's job better than most. but if the paint finish was took up to a higher level it would be much better for TOADWORKS, outstanding products @ very fair prices........IMHO..............

• Members

Funny you should ask. I have a Lil Leo that is having problems with the Level knob inducing quite a bit of hiss. I don't think this is a reflection of the whole product line however. It is a nice sounding overdrive pedal, does what it is suppose to do and I actually really like the paint job on mine. You could probably get something cheaper that does the same thing. But if you're more of a boutique guy than by all means check out the toadworks line. Compared to most boutique pedals they are cheaper but I am of the opinion that most boutique OD pedals are overpriced, well maybe not the ZIM but thats a whole other league. I wouldn't spend more than 100$ if you can find one used.

• Members

man, why is everyone dogging toadworks.... you are mad because of a problem that has already been offered to be fixed, but you would rather just sit there with your pedal and bitch about it on every other thread that i see you post in. I am actually quite impressed at the features and quality ryan is able to offer at probably the best price in the market.

Now I hate the word boutique.... the truth is things are either worth it or they arent.... and to me the fact that the bad monkey which you love so much is one pedal out of 30 or so that digitech makes, that just happens to be the only thing that they make that isnt a total waste of money.... most digitech, and boss overdrives and distortions are designed to sound good at low volumes, or in a crowded store, but fail miserably at rehearsalas and gigs.

When i find a pedal that is less that $100 that i would actually consider keeping i consider that a real find. I have a Mr. Ed and i really like it a lot. I own plenty of other overdrives, but none of them sound like it... is it my main overdrive? NO, but it is unique, and i can find uses for it where nothing else will do.

Anyways, for the original post... ninja of love... the better question is what do you think? Personally i find you can only get so much out of advice from other people on gear. My opinion, toadworks makes some of the most reliable, and well finished pedals out there. the only pedals ive ever played arround with are the death rattle, and the Mr. Ed... the one thing i can say about both of them, is they have definite "flavors" to them, and both have a certain sound that you wont get anywhere else. They are not really a one size fits all apporach like you would see a lot of other builders make... The Mr Ed for example, really does caputure that van halen sound. If you hate van halen, you probably shouldnt buy it, but there are a lot of guys out there seeking that sound in a pedal.

Anyways, last i checked just about every music store i walk in to other than guitar center has toadworks pedals now... go check them out... and dont let other people tell you what to think about them

• Members

Originally posted by canucker1981

Funny you should ask. I have a Lil Leo that is having problems with the Level knob inducing quite a bit of hiss. I don't think this is a reflection of the whole product line however. It is a nice sounding overdrive pedal, does what it is suppose to do and I actually really like the paint job on mine. You could probably get something cheaper that does the same thing. But if you're more of a boutique guy than by all means check out the toadworks line. Compared to most boutique pedals they are cheaper but I am of the opinion that most boutique OD pedals are overpriced, well maybe not the ZIM but thats a whole other league. I wouldn't spend more than 100$ if you can find one used.

Keep complaining about the Lil Leo, it will really help you sell it.:freak:

• Members

Originally posted by Robbert

I'll tell you what I think:

I think there's an Enveloope waiting for me when I get back home. Nuff said
:wave:

I'm also thinking you'll owe me a review of said Looper...punk!:mad:

Toadman has a pretty good attitude about designing and selling gear methinks. Haven't tried any but that's partly to do with me being a peasant at the moment.

Anyway, I wouldn't say they're overprice or underpriced, but reasonably priced in what is a pretty pretentious market place. I mean $400 for a TS OD with some tweaks and better caps???:rolleyes:

Anyway, he seems a bit serious the last few days (sure does have a thing for juicey thighs :D ) but usually of good humour around here.

This is the first time I've heard someone complain about the paint finish, and I've seen very few objective (ie. non-personal) complaints about TW gear in general.:cool:

• Members

Toadworks pedals are great.

I currently have a Mr. Squishy and an Enveloope, and I've tried out the Meat pedal.

The Meat wasn't my thing, but I admit that I didn't really put much time into tweaking it. I'm not much of a clean boost user, and I'm usually not trying to make my sound fatter...hence I didn't really need a Meat. ;)

But the Mr. Squishy and the Enveloope are sweet.

And I like the finishes on mine...I haven't had any problems with them.

Nor have I had any radio interference...it seems like that's really just one guy with one pedal who is hell-bent on making sure everyone knows that it wasn't working properly (though he often seems to neglect the fact that Ryan has amazing customer service and has offered to fix the pedal).

Toadworks pedals are all unique...if any other boutique manufacturer was making them, they'd be twice the price. And worth it, too. He puts quite a bit of R&D into every pedal rather than just slapping some different capacitors into a Tubescreamer circuit.

I'd love to try out a Redux...and what's up with the Phantasm?! When are we gonna get more info?! :mad:

• Members

I wasn't even dogging toadworks. I actually recommended checking them if he wanted to spend the 100$ or so, complimented the finshes after someone else complained about them and said I like the Lil Leo and noted that my problem is by no means a reflection of the whole company. You won't regret it trying them out. They are about as close to being worth it as a OD pedal can get. After all we are just talking about pedals that replaces you walking up to your amp and turning it up. Haven't tried the Redux or enveloop or any of his other pedals just the ODs. I know Ryan has awesome customer service, that is the only reason why I would even consider selling the Lil Leo. I know that he would stand by his product even though that would be the third owner. How many companies hold up their warranty after three different owners, not many and I commend Toadworks for doing so. I would give ninja love my Lil Leo for 50$ if he wanted it , just so he could check it out, probably really like it, ship it to toadworks to get it fixed for free and I can guarantee that he would be a happy camper. I have moved on from the meaningless argument that Ryan and I started and it seems as though he has too. Join in and we can maybe offer people like ninja love some advice without focusing on our petty arguments.

• Members

Let me post something about Ryan here, and I'm not a Toadworks dealer (before someone says I'm defending him for that reason).

I recently had a used Mr. Ed in the original version in my shop and Ryan through a series of things found out about it, and offered to upgrade it to the new version for me for free. Not everyone would do that. He seems to me to be a top-notch guy. If I had more of a market for pedals that are a bit out of the mainstream (i.e. something other than Rocktron, mxr, etc.) I'd have no qualms carrying his stuff at all.

• Members

Last year at Namm camp, I spent quite a while in Ryans Booth. He is a very nice guy who really knows his sh%$. And after demoing his pedals for a good half hour, and then I came back later and spend some more time playing them, I can say that there wasn't a bad sounding pedal in the bunch. They all sounded great. The Redux was my favorite. It is a very good sounding delay and I have run the gamit on delays.

• Members

Originally posted by RoboPimp

I recently bought some effects cases from toadworks. Dealing with Ryan was excellent and the shipping was super fast.

thanx toadworks!

P.S. I hear he has a thing for Beyonce...

s'ok, I do too!

I loves me some brown sugar.

• Members

Originally posted by Brian Marshall

man, why is everyone dogging toadworks.... you are mad because of a problem that has already been offered to be fixed, but you would rather just sit there with your pedal and bitch about it on every other thread that i see you post in. I am actually quite impressed at the features and quality ryan is able to offer at probably the best price in the market.

Now I hate the word boutique.... the truth is things are either worth it or they arent.... and to me the fact that the bad monkey which you love so much is one pedal out of 30 or so that digitech makes, that just happens to be the only thing that they make that isnt a total waste of money.... most digitech, and boss overdrives and distortions are designed to sound good at low volumes, or in a crowded store, but fail miserably at rehearsalas and gigs.

When i find a pedal that is less that $100 that i would actually consider keeping i consider that a real find. I have a Mr. Ed and i really like it a lot. I own plenty of other overdrives, but none of them sound like it... is it my main overdrive? NO, but it is unique, and i can find uses for it where nothing else will do.

Anyways, for the original post... ninja of love... the better question is what do you think? Personally i find you can only get so much out of advice from other people on gear. My opinion, toadworks makes some of the most reliable, and well finished pedals out there. the only pedals ive ever played arround with are the death rattle, and the Mr. Ed... the one thing i can say about both of them, is they have definite "flavors" to them, and both have a certain sound that you wont get anywhere else. They are not really a one size fits all apporach like you would see a lot of other builders make... The Mr Ed for example, really does caputure that van halen sound. If you hate van halen, you probably shouldnt buy it, but there are a lot of guys out there seeking that sound in a pedal.

Anyways, last i checked just about every music store i walk in to other than guitar center has toadworks pedals now... go check them out... and dont let other people tell you what to think about them

Thanks Brian.

• Members

Originally posted by 4Kenoath

I'm also thinking you'll owe me a review of said Looper...punk!
:mad:

Toadman has a pretty good attitude about designing and selling gear methinks. Haven't tried any but that's partly to do with me being a peasant at the moment.

Anyway, I wouldn't say they're overprice or underpriced, but reasonably priced in what is a pretty pretentious market place. I mean $400 for a TS OD with some tweaks and better caps???
:rolleyes:

Anyway, he seems a bit serious the last few days (sure does have a thing for juicey thighs
:D
) but usually of good humour around here.

This is the first time I've heard someone complain about the paint finish, and I've seen very few objective (ie. non-personal) complaints about TW gear in general.
:cool:

Re: the paint finish

here's the thing - we have our enclosures manufactured overseas by the thousands. After we receive them, we take them to the powdercoater, where they are pulled out of the little plastic bags, hung on hooks, and shot with powdercoat.

There are a number of things that can screw up powdercoat, but the biggest offender is an uneven surface - powdercoat is like liquid plastic, and it is NOT a filler - it coats everything pretty evenly.... so, if there is a small defect or burr in the metal finish, it may not be noticible when it's bare metal, but it's VERY noticible after the glossy coat is on it.

We could improve the finish somewhat by sanding each box before it goes out, but that adds time & cost... then add in the ammortized cost of throwing away the boxes that, for whatever reason, can't achieve a finish that is acceptable... that could very easily add $10 or more to OUR cost for each unit - that's about a $30 increase to the consumer, all so the finish can be completely defect free.

Then there are little tiny scratches occasionally - that used to be a serious problem (originally we bought our enclosures pre-powdercoated from overseas, that was a disaster), but we have dumped all the old boxes, and I'm pretty pleased with the quality of the finishes we are producing now.

SO, anyone who wants us to increase prices so the little box you *stomp* on, in order to mildly improve the finish quality, please raise your hand...

• Members

My Death Rattle isn't on my main pedal board, but it is one of my favorite pedals. It is possibly the best value in the market as far as pedals are concerned... Think about it, with that one pedal and a clean amp, you can get 6 distinctly different, and usable sounds. Whenever I have a gig where I won't be using my amp, I bring my death rattle. I take it to every gig as a backup just in case my amp blows and I have to use someone elses. I also use it constantly in the studio. I'll set the tweed and plexi sides up to sound similar in volume, tone, and amount of gain, and double a part on each channel. It sounds HUGE.

PLUS Ryan is hilarious and gets people around here all worked up.

• Members

Ryan,

I think maybe, my post was taken wrong. maybe...? I am able to buy any delay I wish, yours for the money is simply unbeatable IMHO, & make that clear to anyone who askes about it, {censored}, they can try mine if they want,.. but the only reason I mentioned it is there are the types out there that are finish freaks & see flaws in it as a reflection on the build quality of the pedal, I stomp the {censored} out of mine & couldn't care if it even had paint, but I sell enough pedals to know, that some people for some damn reason REALLY give a {censored} about that factor. You are 100 % correct on that it isn't the paint, it was the box it self on my REDUX that had a very deep gouge on the front, I sent it back to spokane & had another in a few days, they also paid for my shipping. You can't beat that. The one I got back was much better, but still some picky type would say something.The build quality on the inside of the REDUX is very, very good. The sonics are of the best. That is all I care about & ever will. I run a construction company & for some reason in what I do people seam not to give a {censored} about the build quality they can't see, just the dang finish, So I make sure, we have the best finishers. I do understand your fine line on your prices & what it take to make a good to great buisness work. Yes, I read on the manual were finishes can be of the not perfect kind. I personally would get a differant company for your boxes, that is just me talkin. Your REDUX is outstanding & very glad I bought it. I will be back for more from TOADWORKS.

• Members

It's all these "show us your pedal boards" threads that have spoiled people against unsexy boxes.

I blame Zvex as well.:p

A nice wearable finish is all you need. I have had pedals where the labelling and paint literally smudge and peel off like a manderine skin. Sturdy and solid is what I look for.

I think the TW pedals look pretty good with the steel knobs and whatnot, they look solid.

• Members

Originally posted by JandG

Ryan,

I think maybe, my post was taken wrong. maybe...? I am able to buy any delay I wish, yours for the money is simply unbeatable IMHO, & make that clear to anyone who askes about it, {censored}, they can try mine if they want,.. but the only reason I mentioned it is there are the types out there that are finish freaks & see flaws in it as a reflection on the build quality of the pedal, I stomp the {censored} out of mine & couldn't care if it even had paint, but I sell enough pedals to know, that some people for some damn reason REALLY give a {censored} about that factor. You are 100 % correct on that it isn't the paint, it was the box it self on my REDUX that had a very deep gouge on the front, I sent it back to spokane & had another in a few days, they also paid for my shipping. You can't beat that. The one I got back was much better, but still some picky type would say something.The build quality on the inside of the REDUX is very, very good. The sonics are of the best. That is all I care about & ever will. I run a construction company & for some reason in what I do people seam not to give a {censored} about the build quality they can't see, just the dang finish, So I make sure, we have the best finishers. I do understand your fine line on your prices & what it take to make a good to great buisness work. Yes, I read on the manual were finishes can be of the not perfect kind. I personally would get a differant company for your boxes, that is just me talkin. Your REDUX is outstanding & very glad I bought it. I will be back for more from TOADWORKS.

No worries, I just wanted to make sure everyone knows WHY the finish is sometime imperfect...

Archived