DiscumBOBulator

Man In space

• Members

I've tried the DiscumBOBulator and found it practical to use, and a decent envelope filter, too decent, not extreme enough, I am a big fan of the Q-Tron, it is more extreme (thanks to the boost switch) and it has this gnarly sound that I haven't found in any other filter, and it does that chewy Mutron sound just perfect, I've been stomping my Q-TRon for many years, and all it needed so far was a new switch ...

I also have a Lovetone Meatball, which is the deepest envelope filter I've ever heard, I'm pretty sure it can do long sweeps, but I always struggle to get it to sound right, it is very difficult to dial in a sound, that is why I hardly use the Meatball

in my band, I simply use the FM-4, although very harsh and shrill sounding, the filter down and up models are good enough for me, there are a couple of other settings that are useful and sound decent enough, but most of them are crap
but, it has a very useful slow filter model

another good alternative would be the Moogerfooger LowPass Filter, I liked it a lot, but it just sounded too hifi to my ears, nothing beats the Q-Tron

another pedal I tried was the Ibanez AF-9 autofilter, I thought it was OK, a bit nasal sounding

I also breifly played with the EXAR Multi-wah, and found it very impractical, and pretty weak

hmmm, Q-Tron for me

for the canonical list of envelope filter pedals, tons of info and pics and soundclips, don't click this

• Members

I had one as well, found it very easy to use and setup the traditional sounds you get from pedals of the kind...

it wasn't super deep though.

nice pedal...didn't fit the music I make though, so I sold it.

I've also tried the Meatball in a couple of occasions, and I'd say there's no comparison...the sounds that the Meatball offers + the tweakability + the loop that you can run effects into etc put it miles ahead.

• Members

yeah...about 300 dollar miles ahead :D

I'm still having a lot of fun with the Forstwave Resonator. Not an envelope filter (though it is still an analogue filter) but, better still, povided you have a CV pedal (or a superfluous third hand or prehensile toes to tweak the knobs), control over the sweep is completely manual.

• Members

Great pedal because it has a warm tone and it does down filtering as well. Still have mine but don't use it because my unit is noisy. I now use a AF-9, a fine pedal too because the frequency can be shifted down.

• Members

it depends what you want
I'd say it doesn't do slow filter sweeps, but it can do a nice long sweep, like if you play a single note in chewy Mutron sound,
you can make it go

cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwing
(and the "eeeeew" part will last 2 to 3 seconds)

:rolleyes:

just checked the EHX sounclips but there's no good example there
it's best you try one out yourself

Archived